PDA

View Full Version : Jodo dojos in North Jersey

Toradoshi
27th October 2004, 03:20
Gassho, fellow members:
Can anyone recommend a reputable jodo dojo in North Jersey? I'm aware of dojo in other parts of the state, but I was looking for something a little closer to my home in Bergen County, not far from Fort Lee.

Thanks in advance,
Michael Thaler

Robert Wolfe
27th October 2004, 17:15
Shutokukan Dojo is located in Madison, NJ.

www.shutokukan.org

Toradoshi
27th October 2004, 17:24
Thank you, Robert, for the information. In addition to this fine dojo, do you know of others?

Michael Thaler

Dave Lowry
27th October 2004, 19:56
Dear Mr. Toradoshi,
Nothing personal, but gimme a break.
Do you have any concept of how rare a legitimate jodo dojo is outside Japan? You inquired about the possibility of finding one in New Jersey. You were told about one, which has impeccable ties to SMR and if you went to the website proffered you would have seen the instructors there have credentials that could only mildly be called extraordinary. And rather than properly wallowing in your good fortune at having such an opportunity so close, your response was to the effect of "Yeah, okay; but are there any others?"

It's rather like saying, upon being told you have just been given keys to a shiny new red Alfa Romeo, "Well, yeah, but I wanted a green one."

Cordially,

Toradoshi
27th October 2004, 20:04
Mr. Lowry,
First off, spare me your sarcasm. It is rather unbecoming.
Second, I have a reason for asking about other dojo in New Jersey. Perhaps you didn't consider that there might be such an underlying reason for my request.
I am fully aware of Skoss-sensei's impressive credentials, and I don't question them, nor do I intend him, or any other instructor, or you, for that matter, any disrespect.
So, let me get right to the point: You can either answer my question (and I would be grateful for the information), or you can butt out. I am new to this forum, and I certainly don't want to get off on the wrong foot. I would ask that you not give me valid reason to do so.

Michael Thaler

renfield_kuroda
27th October 2004, 22:50
Originally posted by Toradoshi
I have a reason for asking about other dojo in New Jersey. Perhaps you didn't consider that there might be such an underlying reason for my request.

And that reason is?

Regards,

r e n

Toradoshi
27th October 2004, 23:28
Hi Ren,
I seem to remember you from the JET Program; your name is familiar. I, too, was in Chiba Prefecture, from 1995-98. Are you the same person? If not, pardon the error.
Anyway, the issue centers upon finding training that I can incorporate into an existing martial arts routine and a tricky work schedule; I work nights. Some time ago, I contacted Skoss-sensei, and if memory serves, I seem to remember that instruction is given in the evenings. As for weekends, I have karate instruction Saturdays.
It may well be that I'll have to hold off on taking up another martial art unless I'm willing to give up the one I'm studying now. I'm also reminded of the Japanese proverb that a hunter who chases two rabbits goes hungry.
I think that if it's meant to work out, then it will.

Regards,
Michael

Andy Watson
28th October 2004, 09:11
TEMPERS FLARE ON THE JODO FORUM!!!

Wow, it's nice to see some heated debate on here at last.

Michael, as an objective observer to this debate I can understand how your response might have inflamed Mr Lowry given the credentials of the teachers recommended. At the end it is also easy to understand why you are looking for an alternative.

The problem is that people email and post things as if they were casually chatting while others interpret these scribblings as if someone had officially put pen to paper or chisel to stone.

On this forum where it is so easy to inflame tempers, it is always worth a quick read over what you write before posting it to ensure that you have covered all angles when your posting comes up for scrutiny.

Happy hunting.

:)

(Hope I didn't come across as patronizing - I didn't mean to be)

ulvulv
28th October 2004, 10:06
Originally posted by Andy Watson
TEMPERS FLARE ON THE JODO FORUM!!!

Wow, it's nice to see some heated debate on here at last.

(Hope I didn't come across as patronizing - I didn't mean to be)

Or just debate

Or just signs of life at all

:toast:

Toradoshi
28th October 2004, 14:08
Hi Andy,
Your points are very well taken, and I appreciate your advice, which I'll follow.

Best,
Michael

kokumo
28th October 2004, 16:58
http://www.kokushi.com/

Chief Instructor: Nagayasu Ogasawara

Semi-private classes on Monday and Thursday during the day.

Oh.....you said "jodo" and I said "judo."

Hey, it's in N. Jersey, it's a good dojo, and they've got classes in the daytime. Three out of four ain't bad......

Best,

Fred LIttle

Diane Skoss
28th October 2004, 19:53
Dear Mr. Thaler,

I believe there are one or two active groups in NYC. Perhaps others can provide the contact info (I don't have it handy). I'm not aware of any active groups in Northern New Jersey (or Central or Southern for that matter) outside of the Shutokuan. But if you want daytime instruction in jo (other than on the weekends--our big training session is on Sunday), you are probably out of luck. Jo doesn't lend itself well to a commercial venture, and that's about the only way you'd see classes offered during the day. The instructors have to work at paying jobs during the days.

Sorry that we all can't be of more help.

Cheers!

Diane Skoss

Toradoshi
28th October 2004, 22:03
Dear Skoss-sensei,
Thanks very much for your reply, to which I sent you a private message.

Respectfully,
Michael

renfield_kuroda
29th October 2004, 11:30
1) Yes I am the same ren from Chiba JET. Sorry to say I don't remember you, but I'm no good with names, so point me to a photo and I'll give it my best.
2) Not to put too fine a point on it, but you better have a damn good instructor in other arts to give up training at Shutokuan. That there's the real thing, bar none. You'll be hard-pressed to find instruction that good/legitimate in most parts of Japan.
3) Sorry to hear you are in New Jersey.

Regards,

r e n

Toradoshi
29th October 2004, 14:40
Hi Ren,
1) If you go to my Web site, www.sliceofjapan.com, and click on Miscellanious Views from the menu on the left, there's a faculty photo of the teachers at the junior high school where I taught. I don't think you'll have any trouble picking me out.

2) My difficulty centers not around an existing training regimen, but around a work schedule that precludes anything but training during the daytime.

3) On the whole, I'd rather be in Chiba-ken.

Best,
Michael

Toradoshi
29th October 2004, 14:43
Hello again, Ren,
I just discovered that you can't click on the Web site hyperlink above because it includes a comma. It has to be cut-and-pasted, minus the comma.

Best,
Michael