PDA

View Full Version : Kenjutsu in North Carolina?

TakedaOnegawa
27th October 2004, 17:19
Hiya, I'm new to this forum and am curious to know if anybody here knows of anyone in the North Carolina area that teaches any form of kenjutsu. I would greatly Appreciate it.

Eric Gaddis

Charles Mahan
27th October 2004, 18:38
If you don't mind driving way out into the middle of nowhere, this is one of your best oppurtunitieds in NC.

http://www.eishinkai.homestead.com

TakedaOnegawa
28th October 2004, 03:45
Thanks, I'll be sure and check it out. And how 'bout koryu kenjutsu? Probably pushing my luck as far as finding somewhere to learn that in NC... any sword style... *hopes*

Eric Gaddis

kinopah
28th October 2004, 14:49
not sure where trinity is... if you're anywhere near the triangle, you might look at our dojo (choshinkan/triangle aikido). in addition to aikido, we study muso shinden ryu iai, as well as shindo muso ryu jodo, kasumi shinto ryu kenutsu, uchida ryu tanjojutsu, and other koryu. however, i need to emphasize the word STUDY. we would NOT be qualified to instruct you in the intricacies of these arts, as we're just students ourselves. when i joined the dojo, i had only limited experience with korean gum-do, but my sensei was kind enough to put me in contact with a legitimate koryu teacher of whom he is a satelite student. if you're interested, i would suggest that you speak with my teacher, who can talk to you more clearly regarding our koryu study and becoming a member of our dojo.

www.choshinkan.com

alternatively, karate international, which has put up signs around durham (with cool samurai graphics) offering instruction in kenjutsu, might be more up your alley.

FastEd
28th October 2004, 16:00
Originally posted by TakedaOnegawa
Thanks, I'll be sure and check it out. And how 'bout koryu kenjutsu? Probably pushing my luck as far as finding somewhere to learn that in NC... any sword style... *hopes*

Eric Gaddis

Well besides the Kendo no Kata, again go check out the Iai dojo Charles mentioned, MJER includes kenjutsu (but does not focus on it). When you will get to practice it, however, is completely up to them. Good hunting..

Kaoru
28th October 2004, 20:57
Originally posted by kinopah

alternatively, karate international, which has put up signs around durham (with cool samurai graphics) offering instruction in kenjutsu, might be more up your alley. [/B]

I'd be careful before joining with them. Questions as to what Koryu and qualifications they have, would be in order first. Kenjutsu is SO rare that it is next to impossible to find a legit Koryu Kenjutsu teacher in the US. Cool samurai graphics does not mean good and true Kenjutsu. Often it means just the opposite. Koryu usually do not advertise for students, either.

Kaoru
28th October 2004, 21:18
Originally posted by TakedaOnegawa
Hiya, I'm new to this forum and am curious to know if anybody here knows of anyone in the North Carolina area that teaches any form of kenjutsu. I would greatly Appreciate it.

Eric Gaddis

Hi!

Here are all the North Carolina dojos I have in my list:

Kendo/Iaido dojos
----------------------

Charlotte Kendo Club
Carolina Gymnastics & Martial Arts

http://home.earthlink.net/~tonymary/kendo.html

14017 E. Independence Blvd.
Matthews, NC
Su 9am-12pm

------------------------

North Raleigh Kendo Club

http://www.karateinternational.net/kendo.php

@ Karate International
4720 Hargrove Rd.
Raleigh, NC
W 6:30-8pm Sa 9am-10:30am
e-mail: RaleighKendo@aol.com

-----------------------------

Jacksonville Recreations and Parks Kendo and Iaido Club
Jacksonville Commons Elementary School
Jacksonville, NC
Tu Th 6:30-8pm

------------------------

Tarawa Terrace Community Center Kendo and Iaido Club
TT2 Community Center
Camp Lejeune, NC
Sa 9am-11am

-------------------------

Triangle Kendo and Iaido Club in Raleigh, NC

http://www.trianglekendoiaido.org/

All contact information is on this site. They do Seitei Gata Iaido, which is not a Koryu(Old tradition, classical Japanese sword art) Iaido sword art. It's fine. Just thought you should know there is a difference.

--------------------------

Outer Banks Kendo Club
Nags Head, N.C. 27959
John S. O'Connor
4717 S. Pompano Ct.
Nags Head, N.C. 27959
Tel: 252-202-4666
John O'Conner
classes at OuterBanks YMCA in Nags Head
Tues and Thurs 7:00 A.M. to 8:15 A.M.
Saturday 8:00 A.M. to 9:15 A.M.

----------------------------

Koryu Iaido dojos
---------------------

MJER(Muso Jikiden Eishin Ryu Iaido) in North Carolina

http://www.eishinkai.homestead.com/index.html

The one in NC is in Cullowhee, NC,(Since it also lists other dojos out of NC.), according to this page. All contact information and what MJER Iaido is, is on this page.

-----------------------------

And, there is another MJER dojo in Greensboro, but for the life of me, I can't get the site to work for me, so I'll post it and you can see if you can get it to work.

Here:

Renshinkan Dojo
Eishin-Ryu Iaido in Greensboro, North Carolina

http://www.trimbledesign.com/iaido/

All information and contact info should be on that page, as well.

----------------

Well, I hope this helps!

Do try out the Kendo as well as the Iaido. Kendo is so much fun! That's the closest you're going to get to Kenjutsu besides Iaido for now. I was not able to find any Kenjutsu dojos that are legit in your state.
Sorry about that.

By trying both arts you can make a good decison as to which you like the best. Be sure to call the sensei first, and ask to watch a practice.

And, visit several dojos, because each sensei and how he/she teaches will be different. One of them will suit you best.

Good luck!

Kaoru
29th October 2004, 04:21
Hi again,

I just remembered that someone told me the Greensboro dojo is no longer, unfortunately. The link is dead, and the person who told me said the contact numbers are also old and not working too. I'm sorry! So, please disregard that dojo.

TakedaOnegawa
29th October 2004, 06:58
Thank you for all of your input. I have plenty of of places to go looking now, and I really appreciate you all for helping me. I'm actually already a member of a kendo dojo in North Raleigh (I travel an hour and forty-five minutes one-way to get there:rolleyes: ) And though I love kendo the sports-style rules do drive me crazy from time to time.

Well, thanks again. I'll let you know how it all goes. If you care... ;)

Eric Gaddis

webjunkie401
9th November 2004, 01:31
Hey this is a bit late, but just a note. I do Iaido with Triangle Kendo Iaido and we practice Muso Shinden Ryu Iaido in addition to ZNKR Seitei Gata.