PDA

View Full Version : Iaido in South Carolina?

rurouni69
27th October 2004, 23:08
Can anyone help me find an Iaido Instructor near Lancaster, SC[/U]? I'm wanting to start Learning the art of Iaito and I cannot find an instructor. Can somebody help me??

A Bailey[U]

Ronin055
28th October 2004, 09:12
Have you tried USAdojo.com ? or have you tried doing a search on like Google or Dogpile, putting in the terms Iaido Lancaster SC or Iaijutsu Lancaster SC .

Or how about using the Yellow Pages and looking up any Martial arts suppliers and calling them and asking if they know of anyone teaching Japanese sword around your area. you would be surprised how much those supply guys know.

Brian Owens
28th October 2004, 22:19
Originally posted by Ronin055
...Martial arts suppliers...asking if they know of anyone teaching Japanese sword around your area. you would be surprised how much those supply guys know.

I don't know how good a suggestion that is. You might get referred to someone who buys a lot of supplies but isn't legit.

I think asking here is a very good idea, considering the large number of members from around the county (and around the world).

I don't know anything about schools in your area, but be patient and you might get a reply from someone who does.

Good luck.

Kaoru
29th October 2004, 02:19
Hi Rurouni69-san,

I am on it. I am searching right now for you.
South Carolina is one of those states that has practically nothing. But, you are next to a state that has lots. Am checking to see what is near you.

I do second what Yagyu Kenshi-san said though. That is the last place I would look. Sorry Cecil-sensei. :)

I will be back. :)

Kaoru
29th October 2004, 04:15
Hi!

Ok, I'm back. You are in luck! I found a couple dojos less than 150 miles from you. They are all in North Carolina and one in SC. I used a map and I checked to see what was nearest to Lancaster, SC.

As to dojos in SC, there is only one. A Kendo/Iaido dojo in Charleston. There just isn't any Koryu in your state it seems. I've searched for others in SC before and each time, I never find anything. I'm sorry. But, you are close enough to NC, that you have options.

First... No complaining about having to drive a couple hours to a dojo. I won't feel a bit sorry for you, since my dojo is a little more than two hours away, and so I can only go twice a month. :) Getting there is part of the training. So... Here are the dojos in both SC and NC.

SC Kendo/Iaido dojo
-------------------------

SEUSKF
Charleston Kendo and Iaido Club

http://saluki.cee.citadel.edu/kendo/ckic/

Charleston, SC
e-mail: ogawam@musc.edu

This dojo is about 140 miles from you. A bit far, but I put it anyway. This one is the farthest of them all.

--------------------

Kendo/Iaido Dojos in NC
-----------------------------

Charlotte Kendo Club
Carolina Gymnastics & Martial Arts

http://home.earthlink.net/~tonymary/kendo.html

14017 E. Independence Blvd.
Matthews, NC
Su 9am-12pm

This dojo is just a bit more than 25 miles from you, according to the map I used. This one is the closest to Lancaster.

------------------

Triangle Kendo and Iaido Club in Raleigh, NC

http://www.trianglekendoiaido.org/

All contact information is on this site. They do Seitei Gata Iaido, which is not a Koryu(Old tradition, classical Japanese sword art) Iaido sword art. It's fine. Just thought you should know there is a difference.

This dojo has several locations. Please look on the contacts page. There seems to be one near you, perhaps. The rep of the Univ. of NC dojo has a 704 area code ph. number, so that dojo may be in that area, near you.

But, the Raleigh dojo location is only about maybe 115 miles from you give or take, according to the map I used for that. That's maybe a 2 hour drive, I think. You need to call and ask what dojo teaches what, depending if you want Iaido.(Non-Koryu. Still fine!)

---------------------

North Raleigh Kendo Club

http://www.karateinternational.net/kendo.php

@ Karate International
4720 Hargrove Rd.
Raleigh, NC
W 6:30-8pm Sa 9am-10:30am
e-mail: RaleighKendo@aol.com

Different Kendo dojo, a bit farther than the Triangle Kendo dojo.

---------------------

Note: All the Kendo dojos listed here are members of the AUSKF(All US Kendo Federation). For kendo, this is what you want.

----------------------

Koryu Iaido dojo
---------------------

To get to a Koryu art, you will have to drive more than an hour away.

MJER(Muso Jikiden Eishin Ryu Iaido) in Cullowhee, North Carolina.

http://www.eishinkai.homestead.com/index.html

This one is in Cullowhee, NC,(Since it also lists other dojos out of NC.), according to this page. All contact information and what MJER Iaido is, is on this page.

This dojo is approximately 125 miles from Lancaster. It is near Franklin, NC. Driving time, a bit over 2 hours depending on how you get there and on traffic.

Huff-sensei teaches in this dojo. You would never be sorry you studied under him. He is supposed to be excellent.

---------------------

Well, these are the ones that looked the most accessable. The others were, what I feel, ridiculously far. (About two others.)

You ought to go visit several different dojos to see what dojo fits you best. Each sensei is different. And, you should go watch practices of all three of the styles: The Koryu MJER Iaido, the Seitei Gata Iaido and Kendo. That way, you will be able to make a wise decision of what will interest you the most.

Please be sure to call the sensei first, to ask for permission to watch a practice. This is good etiquette. The standard thing is for a prospective student to watch a practice and talk to the sensei first.

Just remember, if you really want Iaido, you will drive the distance to get to it. BTW, Kendo is VERY cool! You shuld try it too. :) That is the closest thing you can get, to Kenjutsu right now. Our paired kata is derived from Kenjutsu.

Well, I hope this helps! Good luck! :)

Sincerely,

Ronin055
29th October 2004, 06:03
I guess youve never been to the kind of supply stores that I have been to. The ones where the owners have seen em come and seen em go. They know whos real and whos fake. But oh well.

My main point was to give the person above an idea where to look on their own. You know, and actually find a dojo to work in rather than let someone find a dojo for them to work in. Make them own it. If they dont want to look, they probaby arent to serious. Internet protestations aside.

Really, how many times have you found something for someone, and they are all,, oh but its so far away.. etc etc..

Well any way thats my two cents.

Chrono
29th October 2004, 18:21
Originally posted by Kaoru
I am on it. I am searching right now for you.South Carolina is one of those states that has practically nothing. But, you are next to a state that has lots. Am checking to see what is near you.

You're right about that. South Carolina has absolutely nothing. Well, nearly absolute.

I did a search a while back and the closest thing I found was something in Smyrna, Georgia. I think that's the city, anyway. I'm sure that's quite a drive from Lancaster.

Soulend
29th October 2004, 20:27
Yep, South Kakelacky has very little that I'm aware of.

Kaoru
2nd November 2004, 19:26
Hi Cecil-sensei,

I guess youve never been to the kind of supply stores that I have been to. The ones where the owners have seen em come and seen em go. They know whos real and whos fake. But oh well.

Well, no. But, a person still should be careful because they do have every MA loving person come in and out, and you don't know which store owner actually knows what is/isn't legit, if you are new to JSA. I know the shop owner here hasn't a clue in my town.

My main point was to give the person above an idea where to look on their own. You know, and actually find a dojo to work in rather than let someone find a dojo for them to work in. Make them own it. If they dont want to look, they probaby arent to serious. Internet protestations aside.

Really, how many times have you found something for someone, and they are all,, oh but its so far away.. etc etc..

I know, I know... LOTS of times. That's why I now tell them I don't feel sorry for them one bit because my dojo is so far. I figure if they want it bad enough, they'll find a way to get there. Well, I do see your points. I know you feel that way. But this time, I knew he would never ever find anything there, so that is why I gave him help right away. Most people never think to look in the state next to them.

ShuriHayakawa
12th August 2005, 17:45
Okay, please, bear with me, this is my first post here. My instructor and long time friend is an Iaido instructor, from Japan, and he does go to South Carolina regularly. It might be possible to arrange something if you are still looking. He has a masters in Elementary and secondary Education, from Clemson University in South Carolina, also. He's a good teacher.
Shiro Shintaku studied Iaido as part of the kobudo when he studied Aikido, from Hikitsuchi Michio, Hanshi.
Eishin Ryu, Iaido. I believe he said he had fourth dan in it. He also got pointers from Seiyu Oyata, I was there, I saw them several times.
He has a web site, http://shinichiryu.com for interested persons to contact him, or you can e mail him.
Iaido is only one of the arts he teaches and so you will need to go to the links for his schedule in South Carolina. I don't remember the name of the Iaido instructor in Wakayama, with whom he began study, so you might want to ask, or I can ask for you, if you like, as he will be in my area this weekend.
Hope this helps, too. Iaido is a wonderful art.

Sharon Hayakawa

Kaoru
14th August 2005, 07:41
Okay, please, bear with me, this is my first post here. My instructor and long time friend is an Iaido instructor, from Japan, and he does go to South Carolina regularly. It might be possible to arrange something if you are still looking. He has a masters in Elementary and secondary Education, from Clemson University in South Carolina, also. He's a good teacher.
Shiro Shintaku studied Iaido as part of the kobudo when he studied Aikido, from Hikitsuchi Michio, Hanshi.
Eishin Ryu, Iaido. I believe he said he had fourth dan in it. He also got pointers from Seiyu Oyata, I was there, I saw them several times.
He has a web site, http://shinichiryu.com for interested persons to contact him, or you can e mail him.
Iaido is only one of the arts he teaches and so you will need to go to the links for his schedule in South Carolina. I don't remember the name of the Iaido instructor in Wakayama, with whom he began study, so you might want to ask, or I can ask for you, if you like, as he will be in my area this weekend.
Hope this helps, too. Iaido is a wonderful art.

Sharon Hayakawa

Hi there,

I tried the link, but it was broken. It said, "Not found." Could anyone else get through?

It is called MJER - Muso Jikiden Eishin Ryu. Unless there is something called Eishin Ryu that I haven't heard about yet.(Quite possible. Guys? Please?)

A Master's in Education doesn't matter. It is the qualifications in his Ryu to teach that matter. What is the 4 dan for? Aikido or MJER? Dan rank does not come as a package deal. He'd have to have Dan or Kyu in each art. How long has he studied Iaido? And, has(and is he still) he trained consistantly with a sensei? Who is his sensei currently? Just curious... :)

Bummer I can't get this stuff from the site. :( Because I can't open it, I have to ask...

Sorry for asking so many questions.

Has anyone else here of this person? If he is the real deal, I'd love to add him to my list of Koryu dojo.

Brian Owens
14th August 2005, 08:55
...It is called MJER - Muso Jikiden Eishin Ryu. Unless there is something called Eishin Ryu that I haven't heard about yet. (Quite possible. Guys? Please?)

A Master's in Education doesn't matter. It is the qualifications in his Ryu to teach that matter. What is the 4 dan for? Aikido or MJER? Dan rank does not come as a package deal. He'd have to have Dan or Kyu in each art. How long has he studied Iaido? And, has(and is he still) he trained consistantly with a sensei? Who is his sensei currently? Just curious... :)

Bummer I can't get this stuff from the site. ...Sorry for asking so many questions.
I can clarify or amplify a couple of points.

First, Seiyu Oyata is a karate (or ryukyu kempo) teacher, not a sword teacher, AFAIK. So not really relevant to this thread.

Second, Muso Jikiden Eishin Ryu has also been variously known as Hasegawa Ryu and Eishin Ryu -- after the 7th headmaster, Hasegawa Eishin -- and earlier on as Hayashizaki Ryu, after the founder, Hayashizaki Jinsuke Shigenobu. Today it is still often referred to informally simply as Eishin Ryu.

Third (and this is only an opinion), I do find a Master's degree in education to be of interest. Not all who have skill in a subject are good at teaching it, and having teaching credentials might show that a teacher, in addition to mastery of a Budo, also has knowledge of the general principles of teaching. The combination of the two can be a powerful tool.

Lastly, I believe Ms. Hayakawa was trying to provide a link to the Web site for Ten Shin Ichi Ryu, a modern composite martial art founded by Shintaku Shiro. Their Web site is http://tenshinichiryu.com (note the similarity to the broken link provided by Ms. Hayakawa). You might also want to go directly to their Iai page at http://tenshinichiryu.com/iaido.

Curiously, that Website says that Shintaku Shiro uses the title Doshu, and translates that as "founder." This conflicts with my understanding of the term, which I believe translates more closely to "chief instructor" or "headmaster/headmistress."

Here's what Aikido Journal has to say about "Doshu" --

Leader of the Way; a term designating the leader of a school or group, martial or otherwise. In the case of aikido, the first Doshu was founder Morihei UESHIBA. The Second and present Doshu, is Kisshomaru UESHIBA. The Third Doshu designate, is Moriteru UESHIBA, grandson of the founder.

Not sure if all the above helps, or just creates more confusion, but there it is.

Charles Mahan
16th August 2005, 16:20
I have to admit to being curious as to the rank of individual in question. Specifically as to the organization. 4th dan isn't really an instructors rank within my the MJER branch that I am part of. 5th dan is really the lowest rank for an instructor and that's pretty bottom fo the totem pole. The first teaching certificate comes AFTER 6th dan.

That said, a 4th dan has a LOT to offer brand new students in the way of instruction. And as time goes by, presumably the 4th dan would advance in rank, and hold an instructors rank by the time it really became an issue for students.

Now all of that is predicated on ranks awarded by the ZNIR and Seitokai. It's entirely possible, indeed likely, that the individual in question achieved his 4th dan in MJER as part of another organization, many of which rank a bit slower than we do and that changes the equation more than a bit. That's why I was curious what organization issued his rank.

And Carolyn,
MJER is a convenient abbreviation online, but not all that easy to say outloud. The traditional shorthand for MJER when spoken is just Eishin Ryu. It's a pretty safe bet that when someone is referring to Eishin Ryu, they mean MJER.

chizikunbo
27th August 2005, 12:30
Hi there,

I tried the link, but it was broken. It said, "Not found." Could anyone else get through?

It is called MJER - Muso Jikiden Eishin Ryu. Unless there is something called Eishin Ryu that I haven't heard about yet.(Quite possible. Guys? Please?)

Bummer I can't get this stuff from the site. :( Because I can't open it, I have to ask...

Has anyone else here of this person? If he is the real deal, I'd love to add him to my list of Koryu dojo.
Hello, I would guess it was MJER. He has been in the martial arts for over 40 years. No he is not a fake, his ranks are all legitimet. He has a 4th dan in Goju Ryu as well, and a 7th dan in Ryukyu Kempo. He also holds dan rank in Aikido from Hikitsuchi hanshi to my understanding, but im not sure what rank, but it could b easily found out.
--josh

chizikunbo
27th August 2005, 12:34
I can clarify or amplify a couple of points.

First, Seiyu Oyata is a karate (or ryukyu kempo) teacher, not a sword teacher, AFAIK. So not really relevant to this thread.

Second, Muso Jikiden Eishin Ryu has also been variously known as Hasegawa Ryu and Eishin Ryu -- after the 7th headmaster, Hasegawa Eishin -- and earlier on as Hayashizaki Ryu, after the founder, Hayashizaki Jinsuke Shigenobu. Today it is still often referred to informally simply as Eishin Ryu.

Third (and this is only an opinion), I do find a Master's degree in education to be of interest. Not all who have skill in a subject are good at teaching it, and having teaching credentials might show that a teacher, in addition to mastery of a Budo, also has knowledge of the general principles of teaching. The combination of the two can be a powerful tool.

Lastly, I believe Ms. Hayakawa was trying to provide a link to the Web site for Ten Shin Ichi Ryu, a modern composite martial art founded by Shintaku Shiro. Their Web site is http://tenshinichiryu.com (note the similarity to the broken link provided by Ms. Hayakawa). You might also want to go directly to their Iai page at http://tenshinichiryu.com/iaido.

Curiously, that Website says that Shintaku Shiro uses the title Doshu, and translates that as "founder." This conflicts with my understanding of the term, which I believe translates more closely to "chief instructor" or "headmaster/headmistress."

Here's what Aikido Journal has to say about "Doshu" --

Not sure if all the above helps, or just creates more confusion, but there it is.
Thanks for posting the link. But yes thats it. I am not sure how he translates japanese (Doshu) to english, but as I remember it was unique. But he is japanese, and is educated (formally) from the united states in Education and language, so i trust is judgment. His wife actually runs the site, and she is pretty knowlagable, but it might have been simplified for the sire imo.

chizikunbo
27th August 2005, 12:37
I have to admit to being curious as to the rank of individual in question. Specifically as to the organization. 4th dan isn't really an instructors rank within my the MJER branch that I am part of. 5th dan is really the lowest rank for an instructor and that's pretty bottom fo the totem pole. The first teaching certificate comes AFTER 6th dan.

That said, a 4th dan has a LOT to offer brand new students in the way of instruction. And as time goes by, presumably the 4th dan would advance in rank, and hold an instructors rank by the time it really became an issue for students.

Now all of that is predicated on ranks awarded by the ZNIR and Seitokai. It's entirely possible, indeed likely, that the individual in question achieved his 4th dan in MJER as part of another organization, many of which rank a bit slower than we do and that changes the equation more than a bit. That's why I was curious what organization issued his rank.

And Carolyn,
MJER is a convenient abbreviation online, but not all that easy to say outloud. The traditional shorthand for MJER when spoken is just Eishin Ryu. It's a pretty safe bet that when someone is referring to Eishin Ryu, they mean MJER.
Hello, I am guessing he would have been granted his rank by not an organisation but an individual, but this is only a guess, being that his teacher in Iaido and Aikido was Hikitsuchi Michio-Hanshi (whom was a 10th dan under O'sensei).
--Joshua

Charles Mahan
27th August 2005, 14:42
Hello, I am guessing he would have been granted his rank by not an organisation but an individual, but this is only a guess, being that his teacher in Iaido and Aikido was Hikitsuchi Michio-Hanshi (whom was a 10th dan under O'sensei).
--Joshua
So this individual's Muso Jikiden Eishin Ryu rank was awarded by an Aikido instructor and he is not associated with one of the MJER branches? How sure are you that Shintaku-sensei is ranked in MJER and not an Aikiken form of Iaido?

chizikunbo
27th August 2005, 15:41
Let me et in contact with him, and see, im sorry for the delay and misunderstnding in some parts.
I will get a oncrete answer asap, but I was pretty sure it was Eishin Ryu :-)
--Josh

Chidokan
29th August 2005, 10:30
its quite possible for him to have been awarded a MJER grade, although he would not have got it through aikido. I have come across a lot of aikidoka in the UK who study various iai ryu and all have so far been legit. There is an MJER dojo quite close to the Honbu dojo, although Honbu have quite senior iai people there anyway.... From talking to the guys I know, they study to help their focus, and also help relate their moves back to its origin. The other main ryu I see in the UK related to aiki is Mugai ryu (FWIW...)

Charles Mahan
29th August 2005, 15:03
That's kinda what I suspect happened. Do you happen to know which branch the MJER dojo close to the hombu dojo belongs to?

ShuriHayakawa
15th September 2005, 15:12
Hi there,

A Master's in Education doesn't matter. It is the qualifications in his Ryu to teach that matter. What is the 4 dan for? Aikido or MJER? Dan rank does not come as a package deal. He'd have to have Dan or Kyu in each art. How long has he studied Iaido? And, has(and is he still) he trained consistantly with a sensei? Who is his sensei currently? Just curious...

Bummer I can't get this stuff from the site. Because I can't open it, I have to ask...

Carolyn san,
I'm sorry, the entire URL was http://www.Tenshinichiryu.com for Doshu Shintaku's web site.
His education level is merely an indication of his devotion to his teaching skills, and his dan level might be more than fourth dan, we rarely discuss it.
He is going to be in Kansas this weekend, at the Midland Ki dojo in Mirriam, but he often visits South Carolina. He has a student that has a dojo there, at the Fowler dojo(?). Anyway, he has studied Eishin Ryu Iaido since the 70s, but I also have never asked him exactly what month and year he started to study it. He was in Japan when he began, and the level of his instructors as well as his skill and understanding are far more important for a student, than the mere dan rank and so forth.
I only mentioned him as someone that might be of interest to you, for an instructor worth studying from. He has no ties to Muso Jikiden Eishin Ryu as far as I know. Certainly none in the States. He is Japanese, Iaido is Japanese. It is not American and so having that advantage is another quality I think might be an advantage to the student. His English is excellent, as well as his understanding of American cultures.
His study was in Wakayama, Japan, with his Aikido Instructor, Hikitsuchi Michio, now deceased, but the bo and sword are the major influences that enabled Ueshiba O'Sensei to develope Aikido, as I understand it. Hikitsuchi Hanshi was given tenth dan by Ueshiba while Ueshiba yet lived, and he was a devoted student to him. Doshu Shintaku (Do meaning "the way" and "Shu" meaning master) is exceptionally qualified to teach and doesn't mind the beginner's mistakes and questions, unlike some more advanced instructors especially from Japan. He is very tolerant of American perseptions of Japanese arts and explains what he teaches. I like that about him, a lot.

In any case, it's nothing to me whether anyone prefers to study with him or another, I was just responding to the person that asked for an Iaido instructor in South Carolina. (Quite a while ago. ) :-)
I'm only able to be online occasionally, and don't devote my entire time to any one site when I am online, so please excuse my taking so long to address your questions and correct the URL. It simply must not have been written right when I typed it, so I hope the correction will allow you to reach it if you want to, now.
What Josh has stated is correct, and it does matter about someone's teaching skills, when you are paying them to teach you. The subject you study is not going to mean as much if you don't understand what you are studying, I think. Also, most instructors from Japan get testy when questioned much during their class. I have never known him to be impatient and he often has called just to discuss a problem he's having teaching one student or another, trying to find an approach they will understand better.
Teaching skills really matter!

sincerely
Sharon Hayakawa

Charles Mahan
15th September 2005, 16:11
Well that page lists the Iaido at that dojo as Tenshin Ichi Ryu which was apparently founded rather recently by Doshu Shiro Shintaku. http://www.tenshinichiryu.com/founder.htm

So whatever his origins. He is not teaching Muso Jikiden Eishin Ryu now. It is not mentioned anywhere on the website that I could find.

Sharon do you know why Shintaku-sensei found it necessary to create his own system? This subject has always fascinated me.

Gyokkushin
16th September 2005, 05:09
Greetings,

Sharon Hayakawa emailed to tell me that there was someone looking for an iaido school in South Carolina. While I cannot help with iaido, my batto and kenjutsu school may.

We just opened the school today and are having our first kenjutsu seminar this Saturday at 3pm. This seminar will focus on the very basics of the Kyushin Ryu style after a cutting demo.

I hope this helps and feel free to contact me if there are any questions.

Thank-you for your attention and thank-you Sharon Hayakawa for letting me know about this site.

John Dzikowski
Kyushin Ryu Kenjutsu
803-556-7267

pgsmith
16th September 2005, 16:06
Hi John,
Welcome to e-budo. Can you tell us more about the origins of Kyushin ryu kenjutsu?

Thanks,

socho
16th September 2005, 18:24
A quick google search produced this article (http://www.ironlife.com/mag/issue9/warrior.shtml). The banner links to his website. Not much information there.

The link to the ten shin site is interesting. Philosophy and politics, not much content. Am also curious about the drive to create one's own style.

There is an authorized study group of the Mugai Ryu line under Niina Gosoke through Tony Alvarez in the southern part of North Carolina that may be worth checking out. PM for details if interested.

Dave

pgsmith
16th September 2005, 19:48
A quick google search produced this article. The banner links to his website. Not much information there.

The link to the ten shin site is interesting.
Thanks Dave,
I thought both links were interesting, but almost completely uninformative. Couldn't find anything on what sort of sword either one has studied.

Hopefully both people will come back and fill us in.

ShuriHayakawa
16th September 2005, 23:38
Well that page lists the Iaido at that dojo as Tenshin Ichi Ryu which was apparently founded rather recently by Doshu Shiro Shintaku. http://www.tenshinichiryu.com/founder.htm

So whatever his origins. He is not teaching Muso Jikiden Eishin Ryu now. It is not mentioned anywhere on the website that I could find.

Sharon do you know why Shintaku-sensei found it necessary to create his own system? This subject has always fascinated me.

Iaido - Breaking down bad habits,
and building new ones.

Making a list of all the suffixes for Iai in my Sig. Let me know if I've missed any.

Iai-do/jutsu/heiho/hyodo/kenpo/kendo/koshi/batto-jutsu

Mahan Sensei,
Drawing from our discussions concerning his reasons for it, he has told me that part of his reason is that he feels he has a chance to leave more to the future, through creating his own System, and that there is little emphasis, in the States in particular, on the mental goals and developement in the life protection arts. He would like to help change that somewhat, if he can. For the most part, the emphasis is usually toward the superficial and more tangible goals, such as becoming a better fighter and (in quite a few cases) competitions, for the better looking forms or tough fighters. His art is developed following his years with his Aikido instructor, who was also a qualified Shinto and Buddhist priest, and with his training with Oyata Sensei, who also has genuine skills unsurpassed, but designed to damage or even kill another person. Shintaku Doshu wished to develop the more peaceful strength he found in his studies, and therefore went on to develope Ten Shin Ichi Ryu, for this purpose. His understanding of natural techniques and the energy practitioners can develope are difficult to express verbally, but one can see the difference when given a chance to watch him demonstrate. Since he can do more to further these qualities by founding his system rather than continuing in another, this was his choice.
Also, just to stay on the subject of Iai for a moment, it might be of interest to know that Oyata Sensei does teach karate, but studied Iaido in the time when he was forced to be in the Japanese military during the WW2. His Iaido was for his survival, therefore very direct and deadly, at the time.
Also, he found it necessary to ask Shintaku Sensei to teach his son, Masaki Oyata, Iaido, as he found it difficult to teach Masaki without upsetting him. He would never have asked Shintaku Sensei to teach his own son, had he not considered the skills in both the teaching and the art to be very advanced. I know them both very well, and this is just something of interest I thought I'd mention. For his part, Masaki was an excellent student. I've known Masaki since the day he was born. He is a good kid, and was interested in martial arts from his toddler stage onward.
Shintaku Doshu seeks to make the goals of mental strength and skill as well developed and sought after as it would be in Japan.
He has told me that it was one of the goals of the Samurai of old times to develope their skills mentally and spiritually, as well as physically.
I have not reached the level of skill he is seeking to teach, but I understand his motives and vision, and I think that is an excellent question that you have raised. What does inspire, or motivate an individual to begin their own art as opposed to inheriting his instructor's art? But I suspect that it is an individual case by case question, as each person I've known that did that, did it for their own reasons.

Shintaku Sensei is only in South Carolina once a month, usually, but since his daughter lives there, he is sure to be there at least that often. I know his wife does the web site, and he is reluctant to even try e mail, preferring to write things out by hand or have another do the e mails, but he is accessable and worth the bother to look into. Hikitsuchi Michio Hanshi did promote him, as well as teach him, the Iaido, bo and Aikido. I did ask him about that, the last time we talked on the phone.
As I said, he will be at the Midland Ki dojo in Kansas tomorrow, and anyone that wants to can call him there, to ask more questions about his arts or other relevant conversation. He talks soft, so you might want to be rid of outside noise, to be able to hear him well.
I hope that answers the questions, I do get wordy sometimes.

sincerely
Sharon Hayakawa

ShuriHayakawa
16th September 2005, 23:44
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Greetings,

Sharon Hayakawa emailed to tell me that there was someone looking for an iaido school in South Carolina. While I cannot help with iaido, my batto and kenjutsu school may.

We just opened the school today and are having our first kenjutsu seminar this Saturday at 3pm. This seminar will focus on the very basics of the Kyushin Ryu style after a cutting demo.

I hope this helps and feel free to contact me if there are any questions.

Thank-you for your attention and thank-you Sharon Hayakawa for letting me know about this site.

John Dzikowski
Kyushin Ryu Kenjutsu
803-556-7267

Dzikowski Sensei,
You're welcome. :-) Doitashimashite.
I think the people on this forum are much more motivated to discuss the martial arts and the people that practice them, than on some of the other lists I've been on. Also, more courteous. I like that.
I'm glad you joined.

Gyokkushin
19th September 2005, 20:16
Hi John,
Welcome to e-budo. Can you tell us more about the origins of Kyushin ryu kenjutsu?

Thanks,

Sure I can:

The Kyushin Ryu was founded in the Eiroku period (around 1565) by a man named Inugami Sakon-no-shokan Nagakatsu. He received the transmission of "Reiken" swordsmanship (descending from Heaven) with his father, Inugami Hyogonosuke Nagatsugu, later studying with a Hayamizu Nagakado-no-kami Enshin, from whom he received a license of transmission in Enshin-ryu kumiuchi (grappling with weapons).

He went on to found his own ryu, the curriculum of which was completed by his son, Inugami Kyushinsai Nagatomo. The ryu was widely spread in Kyushu, where it was known by a number of variant writings (of the first character, "kyu") and contained techniques for grappling, swordsmanship, and other weapons (yari, jo, tanto, naginata, etc).

I hope this helps!

John Dzikowski
Kyushin Ryu Kenjutsu

Charles Mahan
19th September 2005, 20:19
This is a style I haven't heard of, although that means little :) To satisfy curiosity, who is the current soke and where is the hombu dojo?

pgsmith
19th September 2005, 21:37
Hey John,
Thanks for the background. Did you live in Kyushu? How did you end up learning and teaching this koryu?

Paul

Gyokkushin
20th September 2005, 02:53
Hey John,
Thanks for the background. Did you live in Kyushu? How did you end up learning and teaching this koryu?

Paul

I learned from Hidetsune where I grew up in Pittsburgh. His school is not in the phonebook as he taught us out of his back yard. I started in 1985 and we trained mostly outside even in the winter. Beginning practice was with bokken until he felt one was skilled enough to use a shinken. Cutting material on multiple targets in different directions at varying distances was a large part of the practice with a live blade as the Kyushin Ryu is a battle-field oriented system designed for multiple opponents.

Actually, I have not yet been to Japan but I have been to China, specifically to train in wushu for three months.

Cheers!

John Dzikowski
Kyushin Ryu

pgsmith
20th September 2005, 15:58
Hey John,
That's cool. Is Mr. Hidetsune still teaching in Pittsburgh? I was unaware of any koryu out in that area. I try and keep track since those practicing koryu are still a pretty small group.

If you don't mind expounding (I'm always curious), how is the curriculum arranged? Kata and kumitachi? Single person kata or two person? Is it just sword or are other weapons used in the kata? You're the only source I've been able to locate for this one, so I'm putting the questions on you. :)

Thanks,

Gyokkushin
20th September 2005, 16:36
Paul:

The class is structured not a gokyu but on a kihon, a basic eight. Interestingly enough, new students can jup in anywhere on the circle as there was no perscribed order to the 8 concepts that were taught.

As far as kata, we have very little. Waza was the word used and that seemed to be a dramatic difference as cutting with either foot in either direction and "winging" to either side was stressed. This approach gave the kenshi the ability to move freely in our randori without having to be stuck worrying about footwork. Randori in the Kyushin was done with bokken without armor. Naturally, one began with basic 1:1 practice then progressed up to 1:5. Where 1:5 was the most I have seen done in the Kyushin. Randori with and without weapons, by the way, was about 50% of our training.

Speaking of that, the kyushin used halberd, sickle, knife, spear, bow, chain, and staff weapons as well as unarmed techniques for striking, throwing and weapon retention again, all focused against multiple targets.

Hidetsune, unfortunately, does not teach technique any longer due to advanced aging and recent health issues. He is still alive and lives with his wife in south Pittsburgh. From what I understand, his eldest son still teaches but lives in Releigh, NC. As far as other teaching beside the two of us, there was a man named Burt Patania (sp?) in Chicago and someone else (name not known yet, but I am looking for you) in Philadelphia. I can see if the schools are still active and perhaps get some addresses for you if you wish.

If you are setting up a database of koryu and feel you wish to add mine, let me know and I will supply my school address and contact info.

Cheers!

John Dzikowski
Kyushin Ryu

pgsmith
20th September 2005, 23:51
As far as kata, we have very little. Waza was the word used and that seemed to be a dramatic difference as cutting with either foot in either direction and "winging" to either side was stressed. This approach gave the kenshi the ability to move freely in our randori without having to be stuck worrying about footwork.
Waza is usually used to mean "technique" as opposed to kata, which is a set form. In most koryu, the kata are grouped into waza. Yours is unusual in not having kata. Every koryu I've ever had contact with have been based in kata as their primary teaching tool.

Randori in the Kyushin was done with bokken without armor. Naturally, one began with basic 1:1 practice then progressed up to 1:5. Where 1:5 was the most I have seen done in the Kyushin. Randori with and without weapons, by the way, was about 50% of our training.
Interesting. How do you keep from hurting each other if you are actually sparring 5 on one with bokken? What does the other 50% of the training entail if you guys don't do kata? Sorry for all the questions, but it's interesting.

Gyokkushin
21st September 2005, 05:36
Paul:

The first 50% was spent learning technique step-by-step then we practiced it in a more "free form" manner after. To explain, shohatto was done slow, step-by-step starting with nukitsuke (from standing), the opponent evades with zantai, then furikaburi followed by kesagiri as shomengiri is not our primary cut. Now, after that is practiced, we would "experiment" with uke closing distance and tori doing nukitsuke while stepping backward, or tori will step left rather than right and do furikaburi with kesagiri on the other side, etc.

Does that make sense or did that help? I may not be articulating it well, if not I will attempt to clarify.

Cheers!

John Dzikowski
Kyushin Ryu

Note: While doing a web search I noticed that both the Bujinkan and Tobu Tora ninjutsu groups claim the kyushin as being part of each of their individual systems. *scratching head* ...Not that I was ever aware of.

Iaidoka06
8th July 2006, 14:59
For anyone that might still be looking for an iaido school somewhere in SC, there is a karate dojo that also teaches iaido. It is located in Clinton, SC and is called Karate-Do of Clinton. The number is (864)833-6650. Tim Mann is the instructor. I was an iaidoka there for more than a year and have nothing but the highest of praise for the place.

Gyokkushin
9th July 2006, 09:07
The school in Columbia that teaches Kenjutsu is also still there for anyone who is interested in that as well.

John Dzikowski
Kyushin Ryu

Brian Owens
9th July 2006, 13:10
...I was an iaidoka there for more than a year and have nothing but the highest of praise for the place.
Thanks for the info, but who are you? I doubt that your name is "Iaidoka" as stated in your user profile.

Please be advised that the rule about signing your real name to all posts -- a rule you agreed to when you joined this forum -- is stictly enforced. Violations of the rules can -- and often do -- result in your membership being suspended or revoked, and your posts being deleted.

Some newcomers think that they've complied by putting their real name in their profile, and understandable error, but in your case you didn't even do that. I suggest that you correct your profile as soon as you see this.

You can also, at that time, add an automatic signature line to your User CP, so you don't have to type it in with each new post.

Thanks in advance for your prompt attention to this.