PDA

View Full Version : should i complain to my teacher?

gilda
1st November 2004, 07:06
hello !
i have a question that has been troubling me for months.I just moved to a new city and a new kendo dojo.the problem is that everyone has a bogu and I dont so many times i get to practice with the very new students.i feel this is stopping me from getting better and is really unfair for me,since in the previous dojo i used to do what everybody else -with bogu or not- (advanced did).should i tell my new sensei that i want to train with the advanced?i feel that i am being treated unfairly.

hyaku
1st November 2004, 07:32
Originally posted by gilda
hello !
i have a question that has been troubling me for months.I just moved to a new city and a new kendo dojo.the problem is that everyone has a bogu and I dont so many times i get to practice with the very new students.i feel this is stopping me from getting better and is really unfair for me,since in the previous dojo i used to do what everybody else -with bogu or not- (advanced did).should i tell my new sensei that i want to train with the advanced?i feel that i am being treated unfairly.

I am sure if your teacher thinks you really need to get into bogu he will say so. I had Shodan when I started to practice in Japan but was not allowed to do Keiko for months. The thing is you are in a new dojo regardless of experience. At least you dont have to sit and watch or clean up and make tea.

allan
3rd November 2004, 18:39
This is your teacher's decision to make. Perhaps s/he is taking some time in assessing your abilities. Perhaps your technique is different than s/he would like it. In the Old Days new students would practice suburi ONLY for a year (or at least these are the kinds of stories that I hear ;) ).

Regards,

Amir
4th November 2004, 11:12
I think the word "complain" is misleading here. As was nicely explained above you don't have any reason for complaint. But, since it is evident you feel your learning isn't progressing as you would have liked. You should go and talk with your teacher.

Your teacher may have lots of wise reasons for his decision. And he is probably right in it. But, this does not preclude you from talking with him, and consulting with him. This is as much a part of the teaching process as teaching techniques.

If there is one thing I wouldn't do. It is train in a dojo with an atmosphere that prohibits discussions with Sensei. Of course, such discussions should be polite, and should be held at appropriate time.

Amir

gilda
5th November 2004, 23:22
Thank you all very much for your replies,guys.
The problem settled by itself.Because of some work schedule change,i had to change dojo again as well,to fill it in my weekly schedule.In the new dojo the sensei is really nice,he rented me a bogu and i am satisfied with the training.And the sensei is a very nice person you can talk to and discuss things.;) i am reaaally glad

"If there is one thing I wouldn't do. It is train in a dojo with an atmosphere that prohibits discussions with Sensei. Of course, such discussions should be polite, and should be held at appropriate time."

Me neither..