PDA

View Full Version : Jujutsu and the use of the tessen and jutte.

PghRonin
10th November 2000, 16:46
I would like some of your opinions on the use of the tessen and jutte in Jujutsu?

[Edited by PghRonin on 11-10-2000 at 11:51 AM]

Neil Hawkins
10th November 2000, 23:00
Tom

Welcome, before I start though, I must point out our little rule about using your full name in all posts. :)

The jutte and tessen were a very large component of many systems, but is rarely taught today outside of the true koryu systems. Many styles adapted the techniques to be used with batons and so you may see them taught as short stick techniques with no reference at all to either of the traditional weapons.

There are a number of books describing the use and history of these weapons. I liked Don Cunninghams' "Secret Weapons of Jujutsu", Don has recieved a lot of flack here in the past, but I found his book well researched and informative. I haven't obtained a copy of the other one I heard about, I think it was called "Tessenjutsu" but I'm sure others will pipe in with comments and suggestions.

Regards

Neil

JamesF
11th November 2000, 11:27
Hi,

I've seen the book called Aiki Tessen Jutsu - it's nice but 100% in Japanese.

If you can't read Japanese (I can't) then not that brilliant as the pictures are not allways clear.

What about Hatsumi's book on the Jutte?

Anyone seen it?

(I did hear it was rather dark).

James.

PghRonin
11th November 2000, 16:48
James,
I have the Aiki Tessen Jutsu book and I can't read Japanese I thought the photos were easy to follow. I was looking for Hatsumi's book on hanbo/tessen/jutte but it seems it's impossible to get unless you want to pay $500 for it.

Sheridan
12th November 2000, 15:10
Can't comment on the jutte, but I actually started the tessen on friday. I quite enjoyed the kata and they can easily be adapted to any small club like weapons. It is however, Koryu.

PghRonin
12th November 2000, 18:51
Can anyone help me?
I'm looking for a style of Jujutsu that also teaches both tessen and jutte and maybee the tanto. Can anyone help?