PDA

View Full Version : COMPETITIONS IN TOMIKI AIKIDO

Yamantaka
10th November 2000, 21:54
Hi, Guys!

I seem to remember that Tomiki Aikido had 3 types of competition : Tanto Randori, Toshu Randori(Free fighting, I think) and Kata Competition. But lately I've only heard about Tanto Randori. Has the other forms of competition been abandoned or are they normally practiced? And if so, what are the rules for Free Fighting Randori?
Best regards
Yamantaka

dainippon99
11th November 2000, 00:02
Yamantaka
All the forms of competition that you have heard of are still working. Even more have been added. The rules for toshu randori are that you can not go outside of the junannahon no kata, you can grab the sleeves for a short time (but not the lapel), and standard safety precaustions and such. I beleive thats how it goes.

Yamantaka
11th November 2000, 09:48
Originally posted by dainippon99
Yamantaka
All the forms of competition that you have heard of are still working. Even more have been added. The rules for toshu randori are that you can not go outside of the junannahon no kata, you can grab the sleeves for a short time (but not the lapel), and standard safety precaustions and such. I beleive thats how it goes.

YAMANTAKA : Thank you, Bobby! I have posted this same question in another website and you also answered me. I guess I'm satisfied.
best regards

Jack B
13th November 2000, 15:20
There is also a style of slow non-competitive randori practiced by several Tomiki groups including the Fugakukai, the Jiyushinkai, the International Aikido Alliance, and a scattering of independent dojos.

Jack Bieler