PDA

View Full Version : Mike Swain's pro judo

Ryu
11th November 2000, 05:03
I posted this question on budoseek a long long time ago, and got the info that Mike Swain's pro judo can be found on ESPN2. For the life of me I cannot find it. Has anyone here seen it, and can anyone tell me the times and days? :)

Thanks in advance.

Ryu

MarkF
11th November 2000, 11:43
Sorry, Bill, but if you look, I responded in that thread on budoseek (different username). I, too, have been looking but, so far, I don't see it either.

Then again, I don't like any judo match which isn't won with ippon, or even submission.

I did see something a few years ago, which really fits Mike's sport judo, but what I saw was called "New Match" judo. Simply put, this was a demo with a predetermined outcome. In fact, uke gave in so much and so easily, it looked like a lazy round of randori. No punch when the ref called ippon, as that didn't end the match, and the ref looked bored.

I think this is what is called pro sport judo, but this can quickly denigrate into the "work" column soon. While I have no problem with that, it had better be owned up to if it does.

Mark

efb8th
11th November 2000, 17:07
"New Sport Judo" is usually relegated to ESPN2 and attached to any Karate, Sumo or other martial art feature that runs short. I saw it four or five times inthe '97-'99 years (no cable now).

I watched for it for three years and saw twice as much Sumo.

Regards,

Chuck Clark
16th November 2000, 22:32
I think the program only had one issue and then has been replayed whenever they need filler on ESPN2.

From a traditional ("Kanoian") judo viewpoint, it was not interesting to me. Similar to what Mark F. says, if you aren't going for ippon all of the time and the match only needs one ippon to win...it ain't judo.

Cheers,