PDA

View Full Version : The Old Ninja Art video

Baio
14th November 2004, 00:40
In the ninja art video volume one they show an ukiyoe of someone riding a frog i think i've seen that print before is it from "The Gallant Jiraiya" since he lived at the foot of mount togakushi? also anyone have an image file of this print it would be just what i wanted for a tattoo

Johnny
15th November 2004, 16:07
Out of curiousity, why do you want that for a tattoo? I'm honestly interested in your opinion here. I love tattoos and I find it interesting to know the meanings behind them... If you would please care to answer. ;)

Baio
15th November 2004, 20:35
i've always wanted to get horimono done, and theres the usual stuff like the suikoden prints or kannon or fudo myoo but this one has ninja significance in a way plus i'm a fan of frogs hahah, i was always interested in going with some of yoshitoshi's art too his new 36 ghosts series is incredible. but the look of horimono enhances things to me like this http://www5e.biglobe.ne.jp/~horikoi/photo_top.html

Johnny
15th November 2004, 23:23
Whoa... Those are rad!!!

Are you gonna do the whole back & arse thing? Or what??? Good luck dude.

Rogier
16th November 2004, 05:44
sorry... couldn't help but think of Naruto...

Baio
16th November 2004, 07:12
yep thats the same jiraiya basically naruto is based on the same collection of stories that i mentioned above the gallant jiraiya marries tsunade-hime and fights orochimaru

pacman2323
16th November 2004, 14:48
if you have that tattoo its hard to live in japan you have to hide your tattoo and you can't go to onsen because it says no tattoo
but your american so its fine just everyone in japan will laugh at you-chi jonesone

ElfTengu
16th November 2004, 15:31
Dean,

I have the exact pic you're after, but my other computer to which the scanner was attached has just been dismantled while I tidy up the spare room. if you can wait a few days I'll post it on here or mail you a copy at higher resoloution.

Goro
16th November 2004, 16:58
When you see pics of yakuza or people having a backpiece in the theme presented at the link above you might say,'these guys are nuts' but if I'm not mistaken I think that the tats you see there are done in the tattoo style of japanese tebori which is painless.

The artist inserts a single needle mounted on a small piece of bamboo penetrating only a couple layers of skin.

Here is a link to a guy in new york I was gonna make my way to eventually since he's close to tornto, sort of.

http://www.horifudo.com/tattoos1.shtml

Good luck,

IKE
16th November 2004, 17:11
Baio, this is a sweet idea. I have pondered getting that as well.

Also ElfTengu, if you have the one of the white-bearded ninja riding the eagle that one is also tite....

MikeWilliams
16th November 2004, 18:13
LOL @ hand-poked tattoos being painless.

Anyway, I love (well-done) traditional Japanese inkwork - hope you find the design (and artist) you are looking for.

Baio
17th November 2004, 02:27
thanks adam thats awesome i'd love to see this ninja riding the eagle print too wheres it from. haha and i really irezumi is painless i'm pretty sure it's much worse than modern techniques

IKE
17th November 2004, 02:32
I know I've seen the eagle pic in one of Senseis books. Probably Essence of Ninjutsu. Theres got to be a color print of it somewhere with more detail.

ChrisMoon
17th November 2004, 02:39
Aloha Dean!

Before you go getting the tattoo read The Tattoo Murder Case and see what happens to the 3 victims that had tattoos associated with the Togakushi Legend. Yikes!

ElfTengu
10th January 2005, 06:39
Dean,

sorry for keeping you waiting so long for the pic, it's scanned and on floppy, ready to put on the other pc to upload here. Give us a day or so!

Ero Sennin
10th January 2005, 09:29
Originally posted by Rogier
sorry... couldn't help but think of Naruto...

Heh heh, Ero Sennin. :p

Baio
4th February 2005, 17:06
Ike i found this picture of jiraiya riding an eagle i don't know if it's what you're talking about though

IKE
4th February 2005, 17:31
That one is sweet, thanks. The one I'm thinkin of is just a black and white drawing with the ninja being older looking with a beard. Looking eerily like gandalf when he rides the eagle to rescue ol frodo at the doom.:D

tsurashi shondo
4th February 2005, 17:57
Originally posted by Goro
When you see pics of yakuza or people having a backpiece in the theme presented at the link above you might say,'these guys are nuts' but if I'm not mistaken I think that the tats you see there are done in the tattoo style of japanese tebori which is painless.The artist inserts a single needle mounted on a small piece of bamboo penetrating only a couple layers of skin.

Painless my !!!!!
Considerably more than one needle is used. They are the same stainless steel needles used in western electric tattooing.They are still affixed to the bamboo or other stick in the traditional fashion. Liner groups are generally 3,5 or 7 needles, with shade and colouring tools consisting of anywhere from 7 to 47 needles arrayed like a fan shaped brush.

God'zilla
16th February 2005, 17:54
How's this?