PDA

View Full Version : Grisly "legal operation" exerpts in pre-Meiji Japan?

Cody
14th November 2004, 09:41
Hello all,

Pardon me for a strange request; I am looking for gory, violent, grotesque, grisly description of "political operations" before Meiji in Japan. Basically I am looking for graphic description of a political structure where a superior has sovereign power over the lower ranks, such as a daimyo who has power over his's subject's life or death; or a shogun who can order the seppuku of his retainers. The point is to show a pre-Meiji Japan society in which power is sovereign, in the sense that the powerful commands and the subject obeys. I wished to find something that would make contemporary reader flinch to make a point that contemporary Japanese (or american) no longer live in a society that exercise or condones such form of power.

I prefer written academic literature that is considered to be historically (somewhat) accurate and academically documented, as this will be used for an academic paper.

If you have came across anything like that, please let me know ASAP and I will put your name down on my life-saver list. Beer on me if you ever come by Victoria!

Thanks a lot,
-Cody