PDA

View Full Version : Syllabus changing?

sean dixie
14th November 2004, 20:31
Hi all,

Speaking to a friend last week who had attended the Portugese Taikai (by all accounts brilliant!) he mentioned that they were being taught by Aosaka sensei-I'm presuming it was a San Dan and above session and he was demonstrating kappo. Of course the volunteers were first exposed to Appo in order for a thorough demonstration to take place. Anyway, I was told that Aosaka Sensei mentioned that hombu is allowing these kind of teachings to die out as they are deemed to dangerous to teach. True? Any thoughts? And would YOU volunteer? :p

Laurent ESPESO
14th November 2004, 21:58
Gassho,

The reanimation techniques were taught to the group of nidan and above in Portugal even if the technical groups of level were shodan and nidan together and sandan and above.

Yes these techniques are really dangerous and about the position at Hombu I don't know exaclty, but I think a few years ago Bando sensei taught the same techniques during some Seminars.

Kesshu,

Laurent Espeso
Shorinji Kempo
Vaugirard Branch Secretary

Ewok
15th November 2004, 13:01
I've forgotten what Appo and Kappo are, I'm mad enough to volunteer :D

(I also put my hand up to be a dummy for a shodan seminar for a bit on binding using your belt, that turned out kinda embarassing... :eek: )

Tripitaka of AA
15th November 2004, 13:29
Hey Leon, I've got this secret mission that needs a volunteer... :rolleyes:

But I know what you mean. Kappo and Appo is all that stuff about knocking you out and then resuscitating (and includes the stuff about joint re-location :( and testicle-recovery :eek: ). Yes I volunteered for everything too. But I only once got myself the dummy for Kappo. At the Crystal Palace Summer Camp (1987?) with Mizuno Sensei presidng. One of my proudest moments actually... and I think that probably says enough about my sense of self-worth :laugh:

It could be dying out. I don't know. But the decision whether to use these techniques (or seek the nearest Accident & Emergency Dept of a hospital) is probably more closely linked to Litigation and other legal restrictions than it was in Kaiso's day. If orthodox medical assistance is within a reasonable distance, then I imagine that only a VERY experienced Sensei would choose to do anything other than basic First Aid in the more serious cases. Fortunately, in Shorinji Kempo, the Sensei are usually VERY experienced... so they will be making an informed decision in the best interests of their students.

David Dunn
15th November 2004, 19:12
Sean,
isn't it more the case that demonstrating appo is out of favour, rather than actually striking vital points is being let slip? It carries a risk of concussion, and I imagine in very rare, and very unlucky cases, worse. And as mentioned risk-averse, litigation-happy culture can't help.

Mizuno Sensei still teaches kappo - albeit minus the appo part first. I've experienced good atemi by accident plenty of times. Ask Xav about his case in Uzbekistan. Then again he can't remember it, so you'll only confuse him :D

Where are we? Tashkent? What are we doing here? I did an embu? What are the sequences? Where are we again?

satsukikorin
15th November 2004, 21:42
Hey, Xav, would you tell us about your experience in Uzbekistan, esp. as involves kyusho?

:D