PDA

View Full Version : Korindo Aikido

Ogami Itto
22nd November 2004, 15:29
This is a thread dedicated to the art of Korindo Aikido.

Why I want to learn more about this art?
The reason for my interest in the art is because I’ve always been fascinated by it. It expresses the frame of mind which I hold dear, and the extent use of harmony instead of brute force. Also it’s not that well known to the world and I want to contribute my part to the art, by sharing my knowledge, humble as it may be.

Coincidently I first read about Nihon Korinkai (Korindo Aikido) and O’sensei Minoru Hirai, before I even knew what Aikikai and Ueshiba ryu was.
These lectures have most of the credit, and they made me realize that Korindo Aikido, would be the martial art I would practice:
http://www.freewebz.com/aikido/lecture/index.htm

Also I have plans to travel to Japan next year where I will stay for a whole year. The dojo where I would like to practice is located in Tokyo, Ichigen-Juku dojo:
http://www.geocities.jp/ssaakkaannaasshhii/korindo-english.html

As I said before Korindo Aikido is quite unknown to the rest of the world, even in the Aikido (Aikikai) community. There are only a few countries apart from Japan where Korindo Aikido is practised; in Japan today, there exists many dojos who are affiliated with Nihon Korinkai, Korindo Aikido.
The art was founded by O’sensei Minoru Hirai, who not only gave the name of Aikido, but also gave his unique explanation of the circle, and the eight essential movements from nature. He called this system “Taisabaki” which basically means “how the body moves”.
But apart from some dojo websites, very little information exists about Nihon Korinkai, and O’sensei Minoru Hirai.
The purpose of this thread is to shed more light on the art, and to gain more knowledge about this wonderful part of modern Gendai Budo.

So I invite all to share their knowledge about Korindo Aikido. And to those who has interest in the art, and want to learn more.

Best regards,
Thomas Haldorsen

Amir
24th November 2004, 15:40
Hi Thomas

To the best of my knowledge I am the only Korindo Aikido student in this forum. I once had a short discussion with another Korindo student in the Aikido Journal forum once, who came from Mexico.

As you have already stated, Korindo Aikido is a VERY small M.A. and that is true not only world wide, but in Japan as well.

I have written quite a few messages here, almost all of them rely on my learning Korindo Aikido. So you could try and collect some info through reading through those messages. And then you can ask specific questions.

A few pointers first:

Hirai Sensei did not invent the name "Aikido", he was the head of a 3 person committee that coined the name, but he gave credit to another member of the group for coining the name.
At the time the name was used for a department in the Dai-Nihon-Butokukay of which Hirai Sensei was responsible.

Please don't ask me to teach through the net, even if I was a great teacher, it would have been impossible, and I am merely a NiDan student, who sometimes replaces his direct teacher (when more senior students do not).

The articles inhttp://www.freewebz.com/aikido/lecture/index.htm are a translation of Shono Shihan lectures. A senior Korindo Aikido teacher from whom I had the honor of learning a little bit on three seminars and when I visited Japan (for only 1 month). Those articles represent Shono Shihan understanding of Korindo Aikido and it’s concepts. I have re-read this text several times and I am still learning it and from it.
Part of Shono Shihan understanding is understood and accepted by me, in some other parts I may not understand or favor another teacher’s understanding. This does not reflect on his understanding but rather on my own very limited knowledge.
Shono Shihan once told me he and several other very senior students had each gone and asked Hirai Sensei about the correctness of some Tai-Sabaki, of which their understandings differed. Hirai told each of them he is right.

I will be glad to try and answer your questions.

Amir

Ogami Itto
24th November 2004, 22:02
Greetings, Amir

Thank you for your reply. It’s nice to meet a person whom is also interested in Korindo Aikido. Few as they may be.

I have read what you mentioned in your post, the “messages” where you talked about Korindo Aikido and your experiences. So I’m already familiar with them, and I have read them carefully.

Regarding the pointers you gave me:
I think you are very quick to judge what I have written, and guess what I claim to mean. But I don’t hold that against you.

I didn’t specifically claim that O’sensei Minoru Hirai, made the name “Aikido”, and I know that he was the head of Dai-Nihon-Butokukai, and had a important part in the work in naming the art. He had an important job yes, but he wasn’t alone with that decision.

And I don’t encourage you teaching Korindo Aikido on the web, which I agree is very difficult, I only would like more knowledge about the art and broaden my own mind as well as others. Isn’t that why we are all here on this forum, to learn more?
I believe it’s quite unnecessary to argue over such trifles, so I leave it there.

Regarding the lectures by Shono Seiki sensei, I believe that it’s very much up to person to person how your understanding of Korindo Aikido is. But I found much wisdom in his words and agree with him on a full scale. Not that I’m going to follow it to the letter, but I will keep it in mind in my future studies.

I’ve got a tip from the Aikiweb forum, that there was a person who practiced Korindo Aikido on this forum, so naturally I got interested.
So I tried contacting you by writing a “private message” but since you haven’t read it, and since you have disabled e-mail, it was very hard. I therefore understand why you gave me the pointers, because since you haven’t read my message you’d see that I agreed with you on several posts.
But all that aside, I believe that we can learn from each other.

I hope I'II get the chance to discuss Korindo Aikido more with you in the future.

Best regards,
Thomas Haldorsen

Amir
25th November 2004, 07:35
Hi Thomas

I apologize for not noticing the private message you sent me until you brought it to my attention.

My pointer about Hirai is about being precise in giving credit and not taking a credit that isn't rightful. In the same manner, you wrote in your last message
I didn’t specifically claim that O’sensei Minoru Hirai, made the name “Aikido”, and I know that he was the head of Dai-Nihon-Butokukai
Most people reading this, will get the wrong impression - Hirai Sensei was not the head of the Dai-Nihon-Butokukai, he was only a department head.
My previous comment was of the same nature - Hirai Sensei did not look for honors at all. And as a student of the way he founded, I wish him to only get the respect he rightfully deserved, nothing more.

My intention behind the pointers was to assist you in directing your questions. I had no wish to insult you, and will be happy to start the discussion with you.

Have a great day

Amir

P.S.
I study in Israel - much closer to you then Japan. And I am confident my teacher will be happy to join a few classes if you ever wish to visit.
I also know that there was a Korindo group in Germany and that their teacher has moved to Northern Italy (My teacher studied with him when he learned in Japan).

MarkF
26th November 2004, 09:17
I do not know if you did a search here or not, but this link is to two pages of links to messages, several of which are specifically concerned with Korindo Aikido.
http://www.e-budo.com/vbulletin/search.php?s=&action=showresults&searchid=438594&sortby=lastpost&sortorder=descending

You will find many more under Zen Nihon Butokukai (Dai Nippon/nihon Butokukai, depending on whether or not you are looking for information in the post war version or the original founded in 1895), but using Korindo Aikido search terms brought up the most topics/posts on the subject.

I thought you may be interested and there is much to sift through, but truly, you should do your own search. I simply recalled the threads on this school of aikido. Use different search terms (the search button as at the top right), and you may find more threads or posts of interests.

If you've all ready done so, well done!

Mark