PDA

View Full Version : All quiet in jodo forum...again.

Andy Watson
30th November 2004, 14:45
Ho hum

Hey ho.

Oh well if no one is going to post anything then I am going to grab this rare opportunity.

I know that many of you are against the concept of jodo in competition but all the same I am here to announce that the UK kicked but in the EKF Jodo Championships in Stockholm in November. Team members were:
Me - yondan
Steve Boyes - yondan
Peter Gibbens - shodan

Germany, France and Holland put up quite a fight but we got through to the final and won all three of the fights.

Unfortunately the whole thing backfired on us. The Swedish organisers decided to play the national anthem for each country that won a gold. The iaido and the jodo were all played at the same event and having done quite well, we had to listen to the British national anthem six times. This is as many of you will know, akin to some of the torture techniques dealt out by the Spanish inquisition.

Time to change it to The Chicken Song

"Hold a chicken in the air
Stick a deckchair up your nose etc etc"

Love and kisses

Andrei Arefiev
30th November 2004, 16:39
And the results have recently been published on the official website http://www.ec2004.se

Congratulations to Andy who brought back 4 gold medals plus a special award :)

Bill Gallant
30th November 2004, 16:53
Hey Andy, how is a jodo competition run? How many judges? Pairs or singles competing? What kata are performed? Classes?etc..etc... I've never been to a jodo comp before, sounds interesting...
Is there a book or site around that tells all this stuff?

Andy Watson
1st December 2004, 14:46
Hi Bill

The current way the competition is run is as follows:

Individuals:

Each jo competitor selects a tachi. Two jo competitors perform simulataneously in front of 3 judges. The number of forms is normally minimum 3 maximum 5 and are all shitei waza. The shitei waza are decided on the day but need to reflect the dan ranking of the competitors. Each jo-tachi pair is judged on the performance of the jo only and no shi-uchi kotai is required. After all the forms are performed, "hantei" is called and a decision made. Depending on numbers, a pool system is used which devolves into a knockout stage.

Personally I don't like individual competitions judging jo alone and preferred the system we had a few years ago when people went in as pairs and were judged on the overall performance of the pair.

Team:

Each team consists of three members: sempo, chukan and taisho. The two teams go against each other in a similar style as the individual heat with a judgement made at the end of each individual's performance of 3-5 forms. At the end of the three matches the team with the highest number of match wins is the winner. In a pool system then the total number of flags is often used to decide who goes through. The order of shijo uchidachi pairing is:

Shijo Uchidachi
Sempo Taisho
Chukan Taisho
Taisho Chukan

There is actually a ZNKR competition rule book which is on sale for about 10 Euros but it is all in Japanese.

Matt Molloy
1st December 2004, 15:22
Originally posted by Andy Watson
we had to listen to the British national anthem six times. This is as many of you will know, akin to some of the torture techniques dealt out by the Spanish inquisition.

Time to change it to The Chicken Song

"Hold a chicken in the air
Stick a deckchair up your nose etc etc"

Many congratulations Andy. Incidentally, you have just done something quite terrible.

I had just about forgotten this song after years of trying and all of a sudden it came flooding back. I didn't even have to look up the words, they were all lying in wait in my subconcious memory.

:eek:

Hold a chicken in the air
Stick a deckchair up your nose
Buy a jumbo jet
and then bury all your clothes
paint your left knee green
and extract your wisdom teeth
form a string quartet
and pretend your name is Keith.

Gods is there no mercy?

:saw:

Cheers,

Matt.

PS the info on Jodo is cool.

charlesl
1st December 2004, 16:30
Shitei waza are the ZNKR base 12?

What are the criteria for judging the kata as they're presented?

Thanks,

-Charles

Andy Watson
2nd December 2004, 15:33
In my experience, jodo competition are always selected from the 12 ZNKR seitei gata.

The points they are looking for (which are much the same for gradings) are:
1. Technical correctness especially correct kamae
2. Fighting spirit and kiai
3. Correct maai and timing
4. Zanshin

Plus everything else that sways the judges.

Andy Watson
2nd December 2004, 15:43
Skiiiiin your-self alive
Learn to speak Arapaho
Climb inside a dog
And behead an eskimo

Paint your left knee green
And extract your wisdom teeth
Form a string quartet
And pretend your name is Keith

Matt Molloy
2nd December 2004, 16:54
Skiiiiin your-self alive
Learn to speak Arapaho
Climb inside a dog
And behead an eskimo

Paint your left knee green
And extract your wisdom teeth
Form a string quartet
And pretend your name is Keith

*Cries slowly into pint of Hobgoblin Ale whilst banging head against the table.*

Make it stop! Make it stop! :cry:

Matt.

ScottUK
2nd December 2004, 19:56
Yeah, I bought the 7" single of this when that was your only option...

Anyone remember the B-side?

The first one to get it wins Andy's head on a plate (for insulting my sensei in another thread!) :D

Matt Molloy
2nd December 2004, 20:43
Originally posted by ScottUK
Yeah, I bought the 7" single of this when that was your only option...

Anyone remember the B-side?

The first one to get it wins Andy's head on a plate (for insulting my sensei in another thread!) :D

It was called "I've never met a nice South African." I on the other hand did meet a very nice South African....And then I married her.

And tried to explain the song. It wasn't a good night...

Cheers,

Matt. (Of the mis-spent youth.)

ScottUK
2nd December 2004, 21:22
Bloody hell, that was quicker than I expected. Will have Mr Watson's head for you by February...

Matt Molloy
2nd December 2004, 22:05
Originally posted by ScottUK
Bloody hell, that was quicker than I expected. Will have Mr Watson's head for you by February...

Alright. Erm... How am I meant to explain this to the wife?

"But dear, it will make a lovely talking piece on the coffee table. No really dear, put down the bokken. Deaaarrr.." *sound of running feet.*

Can we not leave his head where it is? :confused:

Cheers,

Matt.

Andrei Arefiev
3rd December 2004, 10:02
Originally posted by Matt Molloy
*Cries slowly into pint of Hobgoblin Ale whilst banging head against the table.*

So, has anyone of you who's been in Stockholm tried Hobgoblin there? It's one of my favourites, but I couldn't bring myself to drink it in Sweden seeing as it was watered down to the 3.5 alc./vol. limit for sale in regular food stores.

Matt Molloy
3rd December 2004, 11:08
Originally posted by Andrei Arefiev
So, has anyone of you who's been in Stockholm tried Hobgoblin there? It's one of my favourites, but I couldn't bring myself to drink it in Sweden seeing as it was watered down to the 3.5 alc./vol. limit for sale in regular food stores.

:eek: 3.5????!!!! THAT'S BLASPHEMY!!!!!!!!:eek: :eek: :eek:

:saw:

JIHAD!! TO ME DRINKING BUDDIES!!! SWEDEN NEEDS LIBERATION!!!!

Should be no less than 5.2 in bottle or 5.0 in cask.

I couldn't bring myself to drink it like that either.

Commiserations.

Matt.

Andy Watson
3rd December 2004, 11:57
Scott

I insulted your sensei????? Which one?

If you're referring to the good Ms Goodman then that is the first time I have heard you refer to her as Ms Goodman!

Also, if you want some head you just have to ask.

Andrei

I also cried when I realised that there was this 3.5 figure on the beerboard at Friar Tuck's and realised that it meant the alcohol content.

"This isn't America is it?" I asked myself.

No - it's the country with one of the highest suicide rates in Europe. Maybe it's cause the beers so weak.

ScottUK
3rd December 2004, 14:55
I insulted your sensei????? Which one?Ooh, a cheap shot... Will PM you about this one.

If you're referring to the good Ms Goodman then that is the first time I have heard you refer to her as Ms Goodman!Where did I refer to anyone other than 'sensei'?

Also, if you want some head you just have to ask.Walked into that one I think... :(

UKPatrick
6th December 2004, 22:28
Gentlemen, gentlemen, please,

less of this talk of PM's , lets have the blood out in the open, for all to enjoy.

And Andy, perhaps your comment about a little head has a different meaning in London, but up here in the mans world of Birmingham, it could really enhance Scotts reputation.

And Scott, ain't my new sword really great.

See you both

Patrick

ScottUK
6th December 2004, 23:37
Uh oh, Pat's here... The thread will drift even further from the art of jodo now...

I'm off to start a new thread in the sword arts section. I think I'm gonna call it:

Dr Strangepat, or: How I stopped worrying and learned to love my skinny new epee that I won't practice Omori ryu with...!

Andy, just to be cryptic for Pat - I have emailed the man and set him right... I think.

G'night all...

Scott