PDA

View Full Version : Newbie

pdavidson6
30th November 2004, 17:42
I'm a newbie to the martial arts scene and I have some general questions to ask:

1) I'm most interested in learning a style that focuses on the use of the longstaff or bo. I'm not sure the name- I've heard Bojutsu is the way to go. As I said I've never done this before so I really don't know what I'm talking about.

2) Is there a style of Koryubudo or Kobudo that focuses on the longstaff?

3) I live in Orlando Florida, is there anybody who teaches the longstaff?

4) How long does it take to become well-trained in such an art?

Any information would help. This is something I've been trying to get into for almost six months now. Please let me know all the pros/cons associated with- and also if it's a good way to build muscle mass and/or increse stamina.

Thanks-
Patrick

MAGon
12th December 2004, 14:04
Originally posted by pdavidson6
I'm a newbie to the martial arts scene and I have some general questions to ask:

1) I'm most interested in learning a style that focuses on the use of the longstaff or bo. I'm not sure the name- I've heard Bojutsu is the way to go. As I said I've never done this before so I really don't know what I'm talking about.

2) Is there a style of Koryubudo or Kobudo that focuses on the longstaff?

3) I live in Orlando Florida, is there anybody who teaches the longstaff?

4) How long does it take to become well-trained in such an art?

Any information would help. This is something I've been trying to get into for almost six months now. Please let me know all the pros/cons associated with- and also if it's a good way to build muscle mass and/or increse stamina.

Thanks-
Patrick

Hi, Patrick.
I was going to attempt to answer your questions, even with my limited knowledge. Then the light bulb went off: Try posting your question in the "Jo" and "Sword Arts" forums.
Although neither are directly Bojutsu, as you may know, the Jo is the "short staff", so folks there will be knowledgeable about staff fighting. Also, in many Kenjutsu ryu, some form of staff fighting is part of the curriculum. I can tell you for certain that Bojutsu is to be found within TSKSR (Although it's practiced as staff against sword, at least at my level of training). In addition, there seem to be a surprising amount of these folks concentrated in the Orlando area, so they'd have info useful to you.