PDA

View Full Version : Blind student grading

Simon Fraser
12th June 2000, 05:27
Hi,
Training with me at the moment is a blind student, who's nearing the standard for his first grading. Regular training is fine, as long as people announce to him when they're about to strike for the first time; once he's made contact, everything's ok.

For the grading, though, what would be the best option for the free sparring section? Currently, the best ideas are to announce an attack if the opponent is not already in contact, or to start the sparring session in contact. What do people think?

------------------
--
Simon Fraser

socho
12th June 2000, 23:40
Tough call. I think it would depend upon what the grading is for, ie, what you are measuring. Knowledge of techniques? Ability to react to known or unknown attacks? To give a discreet warning, you might just have the attacker do a light foot stamp at the beginnig of the first attack. Just an idea.
Good luck.

------------------
Dave Drawdy

sammycerv
13th June 2000, 03:04
Simon,

This is probably off topic. Why don't you try blindfolding the other students? I'm not trying to be funny here. It would be a good experience for the students and it would make it a fair match.

------------------
Sam Cervantes
www.geocities.com/unitedsds (http://www.geocities.com/unitedsds)

Gil Gillespie
13th June 2000, 05:00
Sam's not kidding. Blindfold techniques are great for neutralizing small person vs large attacker. A small budoka (esp female) will thrive in blindfold techniques. The sensitivity of this situation requires some exploration------both parties blindfolded could be defeating. Perhaps the blind student's colleagues should experience blindfold training before they attack in testing. Sensitivity training as it were.

Just a thought. Gil

Tami
13th June 2000, 05:13
Simon,

A few years ago the children's program I worked with had a blind student and one of our instructors and his son took the time to work with the student at their home for extra training. They modified some of the required techniques for the level the student was going to test for, ie., instead of doing a technique from a punch, he did the technique from a lapel grab, etc. For the required evasions he was given verbal cues. When he tested and passed it was a very moving experience for everyone involved in the program. Unfortunately this student chose not to continue his training (I think just getting that green belt was his goal--like many other students who disappear after their first test http://216.10.1.92/ubb/frown.gif ), but his older sister is good friends with one of my daughters and to this day, probably four years later, he is still proud of his achievement.

I was the assistant instructor in the class this student trained in and it was a wonderful experience for all of us in the class. Part of my responsibility was to stretch out the kids at the beginning of class and it showed me how much I relied on the visual part of instruction. I had to give clear verbal instructions so he would know what to do and it was very humbling at times to discover how poorly I explained things verbally. It was very good training for me.

I wish you and your student the best of luck and congratulate you on your mutual success thus far.

Best regards,
Tami

Simon Fraser
13th June 2000, 15:55
That's a very good idea... have a training session or two beforehand with some blindfolded training, maybe some pushings hands (although that's not technically part of our style, it seems to fit this situation), and then work from there, perhaps having the grading opponent blindfolded, too.

The free sparring is not an aggression test, it's more to test adaptability, effectiveness and ability to do *something* when faced with an opponent, preferably a technique or henku.

Todd Luethjohann
14th June 2000, 16:56
Hello,

In the Yamaneko Dojo, Tucson, we have a had a number of disabled students, with a variety of disabilities. Wheelchairs and crutches are not uncommon in our training. The most notible is Sandan PJ Dixon, with MD.

We still require these students to train as close as possible to the standards required of other students. Its amazing to watch someone in an electric wheelchair with cerebral palsy doing the kihon happo, with each technique having the essense of the wassa. (btw... electric wheelchairs make formitable weapons !)

As an instructor in this dojo is it my responsibility to test these students as any other. My advice is ... keep the training as close to "real" combat as possible, keeping in mind the students rank. Announcing the attact is good for lower kyus, and for a more advanced student.. maybe not.

I agree that blindfolding students is a GREAT training technique, however, for purposes of testing.... Odds are.. your blind student will NOT be attached by blind assailant.

Just a few thoughts,
Yaa'lon
Todd
Sempai, Yamaneko Dojo
Tucson

Mitch Saret
17th June 2000, 06:12
My instructor has had a blind student, and I have assisted on occasion. The following questions come to mind in regards to the grading:

How much is required for the first rank, meaning is it only a couple of months training and basic or 9 months wort and detailed? I recall my early judo days where the first test was green belt after almost 2 years. Now they use more colors and test more often, but green belt is still almost 2 years. More progress meant better retention!

Have you dealt with almost silent attacks yet or has everything been announced? If all you have been training is an announced attack then that is how you should test. The foot stomp suggested is a good way of announcing but not if you haven't already trained that way. That is something to build to, eventually to just walking loudly, then normally, then quietly. The student will then be able to adapt.

It basically boils down to..you have to test on what you have trained. Imagine sitting down for an algebra 1 test and all the questions are triginometry!

Good luck!

------------------
With respect,

Mitch Saret

Simon Fraser
17th June 2000, 22:06
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by SaretSensei:

How much is required for the first rank, meaning is it only a couple of months training and basic or 9 months wort and detailed?
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

The length of time to the first grading depends on how good you are :-) There's no set time between gradings, it's all done on merit.

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>
Have you dealt with almost silent attacks yet or has everything been announced? If all you have been training is an announced attack then that is how you should test. The foot stomp suggested is a good way of announcing but not if you haven't already trained that way. That is something to build to, eventually to just walking loudly, then normally, then quietly. The student will then be able to adapt.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

So far we've used verbal announcements, but we're trying to move away from that, slowly. Sticking with what we know is a good idea.

------------------
Simon Fraser