PDA

View Full Version : Judo and Longevity

Blackwood
1st December 2004, 14:59
That I might be so fortunate and active at this age.

70 year Old still teaching Judo (http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&u=/ap/20041201/ap_on_fe_st/geriatric_judo&e=4)

Starkjudo
1st December 2004, 15:13
Considering he's 90, you might want to edit your link.

MarkF
2nd December 2004, 08:32
I think you just did, Rob.

Mark

rodgerd
2nd December 2004, 20:29
The founder of the Judo dojo I attend is in his seventies and still competes - he was at an international competition in Vienna earlier this year; he also attends biannual kata camps in Japan.

Apparently his main challenge is finding people in his age grade to compete with. Very inspiring - I hope I'm fortunate enough to be in that position (marbles intact and physically well) at that age.

Matt Molloy
2nd December 2004, 20:39
Truly inspiring. Hope I'm still going at that age.

Cheers,

Matt.

MarkF
3rd December 2004, 08:22
There are regular shiai for the senior circuit, both nationally, and world championships. I know of one judoka approaching or is around 80 yr. old who, in his mid-seventies quit competing. The reason he gave for retiring from competition? "There wasn't any [competition]." He had been the US senior/masters champion seventeen years in a row.

He still gives seminars. Vince Tamura, who has the most effective uchi mata I've seen. All his opponents knew he was going to use it, but it was to no avail, he did and he succeeded.

Mark