PDA

View Full Version : belt tying

kaitenage
7th December 2004, 19:06
Hello, all.

This question is directed towards those who are knowlegable about Japanese culture... I had studied martial arts for 12 years, when I meet somebody who tells me that there is a male and a female way to tie your obi in karate.

So, my question is- is this true, or is it another "myth" that some folks are perpetuating? I guess after all these years, unless I am going to travel to Japan, I won't spend a lot of time worrying about it, but I would like to at least know if it is the case.

Thank you for your time.

Bob

MarkF
8th December 2004, 05:39
As are most things said of belts, this too, is a myth, though it is a new one on me. There is a history of women having a white stripe down the middle to distinguish them from a man's obi (It is still done in formal settings, but isn't necessary anymore. In the old days dogi were left hanging in the dojo along with the belt after training). This comes from Kodokan Judo lore. A few weeks ago I attended a shiai with a demonstration of all of the Kata of the Kodokan. All the women yudansha (most of the superior kata were done by women) wore the striped belt.

Probably the highlight was the in-depth demonstration of kata-ate, or striking forms including kicks.

Mark

kaitenage
8th December 2004, 14:12
Thank you for the reply, Mark. I know I had heard the "never wash your belt" story before, and from my reading, that has been debunked. But, this was new to me, as well. So, having never crossed either the Atlantic or Pacific Oceans, I figured I would ask those with more experience than I.

Have a great day!

Bob