PDA

View Full Version : What Does Everyone Think About This?

Jason Chambers
16th June 2000, 03:31
In order to fund "my" training, I have decided that, while not teaching in a dojo anymore, I would offer private instruction.
My plans are for the prosective students to choose both a convenient time and location (at home most likely) for thier training to take place. Sort of like an academic tutor.

Yes, I have considered all of the legalities involving injury and such out of the dojo.

My fee schedule looks like this (yes, I am trying to make money. All you NP advocates keep your postions!):

$20.00 per session w/minimum of 4 sessions per month for individuals

Family Rate (Limit 4) Flat fee of $200.00

Any input? Am I asking to little for a service like this? Or am I just "cashing in"? http://216.10.1.92/ubb/biggrin.gif

KenpoKev
16th June 2000, 05:45
I'm in a non-profit dojo, and I don't have any problem with your concept.

If your students feel they are receiving a good value from their investment, then it is appropriate. I would caution against formal contracting, other than a liability release and monthly fee agreement. Try to avoid those contracting-enrollment programs!

I have been receiving private instruction most of my 17 years in the arts. I gladly pay for the one on one services my teachers provide. In my experience, private classes have generally been 1/2 to 1 hour in length, once a week and the monthly fee has ranged from $50-80 (the $80 rate was offset by my teaching group classes, so it really cost me about 50-60 a month)

One other thought... have you paid for legal services lately? the going rate seems to run between $150-300 per hour, and most attorneys don't provide a very good value or return on investment.

If you consider the amount of time a good instructor has spent perfecting his craft, the going rate for private martial arts instruction is a true bargain.

Best wishes for every success.
Respectfully,
Kevin Schaller

Jason Chambers
16th June 2000, 10:25
Thanks Kev for the words.

I think, economically, Louisiana is the second poorest state. I think $80.00 a month is pretty fair for PLs, especially when I am going to them.

The contract thing is the furthest from my mind. I hate them too.

As for the Legal Stuff, tell me about it. I am still trying to get my visitation from my ex wife. My daughter is 8. I have seen her maybe a year (cumulative) of her life. Oh well, that's another tale. http://216.10.1.92/ubb/biggrin.gif

Aric
17th June 2000, 02:02
Jason... asking a bulletin board of complete strangers what they think about something so... shall we say, "none of their business"?

If anything, you should be directing your question directly to your instructor. Depending on what you intend to teach.

Otherwise do what you truly think is right. There is nothing inherently wrong with teaching for compensation. It's a free market, if it's "too expensive" the students won't come.

Aric Keith

Jody Holeton
17th June 2000, 05:55
Got 2 questions.

What are you teaching?

Who are you teaching?

By definition arent some martial arts better studied privately?

Some arts like knife fighting or accupressure I feel work better in "private" settings.
Just my thoughts--Jody Holeton

MarkF
17th June 2000, 08:20
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>I think, economically, Louisiana is the second poorest state.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

While I do't know which is second, New Mexico is first. Maybe I can suck eighty bucks out of my neighbors for private lessons.

While I ma not sure of the value of private lessons, it is the way I started. Judo being "sportified" and all, those early lessons taughtme somethings judoka rarely learn unless they are in it for the long haul: kyusho and atemi. If a student gets what I got, it may be worth it.

------------------
Mark F. Feigenbaum

Jason Chambers
17th June 2000, 12:44
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Jody Holeton:
Got 2 questions.

What are you teaching?
[You can call it "self defense" for the most part. I am not teaching any particular style, just some of what I have learned over the years. Call it "Gumbo Ryu". I have given it the name "Way of the Benevolent Heart". That's sort of my philo these days.

BTW, "gumbo", for those that don't know, is a Louisiana dish (a soup) that contains a whole lot of different ingredients to make something very tasty. Either way, it is just a project of mine. Nothing "official".

Who are you teaching?
[I am teaching just about anyone wanting to learn. I have thought about putting some workshops (Rape Prevention, Kubotan) together for local companies but haven't really had time to sink some effort into that. ]
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Oh and Aric, thanks for your humble opinion as always. http://216.10.1.92/ubb/biggrin.gif

Tetsutaka
17th June 2000, 14:45
Jason,

Great question.

Don't be afraid to ask total strangers anything - they're not afraid to hurt your feelings if you have a relly bad idea. This is crucial when finding out things like marketing strategy etc... http://216.10.1.92/ubb/wink.gif

I would add this component: make all lessons semi private - i.e. two students per session. That does several things: 1) They have each other to work on while you "teach", 2) They "help" each other come to class [when one is tired the other will goad them on to show up], 3) they will have someone at their skill level to train with in the all-important out of class time and discover the new things in their art, and 4) you can still very easily justify $20 per hour per person.

My $.02,

------------------
Houston Haynes (http://home.nc.rr.com/houstonandjulie)
"You have the right to remain silent.
Anything you say will be misquoted, then used against you."

[This message has been edited by Tetsutaka (edited 06-17-2000).]

Jody Holeton
17th June 2000, 16:12
Hmmmm Gumbo self-defense.

My only problem with private lessons are the number of students involved. Some arts like filopino knife fighting and tai chi require only an instructor and a student.
While other arts like karate and judo need multiple opponents for sparring, learning how different people react and distancing.

Americans have a tendency to put a price tag on things. Theres a tendency for Americans to respect things more if they have to shell out something in the physical sense. If there is going to be no charge money wise I would recommend the students contribute in some sort of physical or symbolic way (housekeeping, bringing food or drink or teacher their instructor something in exchange). Has to be reciprocical.

Just my thoughts--Jody Holeton

Jason Chambers
17th June 2000, 21:17
http://216.10.1.92/ubb/biggrin.gifYou guys ain't strangers; some of you might be strange, but all families have one noodle in the bunch http://216.10.1.92/ubb/biggrin.gif

MarkF
18th June 2000, 09:41
Hi, Jody,
I must agree with you. While I do remain NP, I also think students should pay, and as you say, not necessarily in greenbacks, but in something just as valuable, maybe more.

------------------
Mark F. Feigenbaum