PDA

View Full Version : George Kirby and his jitte book

John Lindsey
13th November 2000, 13:38
Does anyone remember this one? I think it might be out of print, but I still have a copy (in deep storage). My question is if George ever had any formal traininig with the jutte, or is this all applications based off of his Jujutsu training? What I remember about this book is how bad the Uke with the sword looked. Seems like it was the first time he ever picked up an iaito :).

Brian Griffin
13th November 2000, 15:50
Originally posted by John Lindsey

...My question is if George ever had any formal traininig with the jutte, or is this all applications based off of his Jujutsu training?

The latter.

George has never claimed any koryu background.

What I remember about this book is how bad the Uke with the sword looked. Seems like it was the first time he ever picked up an iaito :).

You should hear him "kiai." :)

Neil Yamamoto
15th November 2000, 07:56
Back in the mid 80's Bernie Lau met Mr. Kirby at at workshop in CA. This was about the time we were working on the second set of Bernie's tapes and Bernie and George talked about the process of making videos and books.

When I asked Bernie about where the techniques came from because it looked so bad, Bernie told me that George said " Most of them we made them up for the book or took from other books." Don't say much for the value of books, does it.

MarkF
15th November 2000, 10:43
Whatever you are seeking of Kirby, you may find it here:

http://budoshin.com/bjjy.html#BUD

Mark

If seeking membership or grade, go to his store.