PDA

View Full Version : Favourite O Sensei Quote

avehnor
10th December 2004, 17:54
Someone on Aikiweb started a thread like this... wanted to see if we could get one started here. :)

So, what is your favourite OSensei quote?

Here's mine:

"The real purpose of the martial arts must be to purge oneself of petty ambitions and desire, to obtain control of one’s own character."

- Morihei Ueshiba

Jason Llamas
10th December 2004, 21:02
Do some of his doka count? One of these two has to be mine."Aiki,a path so difficult to comprehend,yet as simple as the natural flow of heaven". AND "Keep in mind that life and death are right before your eyes:You may want to retreat but the enemy will not allow it".As translated by John Stevens.

Etch
10th December 2004, 21:25
"The penetrating brilliance of swords
Wielded by followers of the Way
Strikes at the evil enemy
Lurking deep within
Their own souls and bodies"

And also:

"The Divine is not something high above us. It is in heaven, it is in earth, it is inside of us."

aikihazen
12th December 2004, 01:40
"One does not need buildings, money, power, or status to practice the Art of Peace...Heaven is where you are standing and that is the place to train."

William Hazen

Bruce Mitchell
12th December 2004, 02:12
My understanding is that most. if not all of Ueshiba Morihei's doka were re-written by Ueshiba Kisshomaru. So I think that it is would be difficult to say what one's favorite quote actually is, since it's hard to determine what the big "O" actually said.

Steven Malanosk
12th December 2004, 06:11
"Here! Grab my wrist..."

Sorry to be so shallow on an otherwise cerebral thread........couldn't resist.

RvW
13th December 2004, 14:25
My favourite quote from Ueshiba Morihei:

"Life is growth. If we stop growing, technically and spiritually, we are as good as dead."

Etch
14th December 2004, 06:04
Originally posted by Bruce Mitchell
My understanding is that most. if not all of Ueshiba Morihei's doka were re-written by Ueshiba Kisshomaru. So I think that it is would be difficult to say what one's favorite quote actually is, since it's hard to determine what the big "O" actually said.

Hi Bruce,

That is interesting. How did you come to this understanding, if I may ask?

Best Regards,
Bernard "Etch" Echiverri