PDA

View Full Version : Bo/ Jo/ etc.

pdavidson6
16th December 2004, 21:49
I have been posting on here for a while as a newbie interested in martial arts training- more specifically in training of a longstaff.
Through extensive research I've learned that the longstaff is called a bo, and the shorter version of the same is called a jo. I've been trying to get answers for a while now (almost six months) as to where I can train myself in such an art. I'm not intersted in this solely for self defense, but more as a wholistic approach to fitness both physically as well as mentally and spiritaully. I've seen videos of Jojutsu before at my friend's house (who trains mostly in Mantis style Kung-Fu) and I believe the use of a staff or bo or jo or any srt of weapon similar to that is so graceful. It truly intrigues me. I am more than willing to take this quite seriously, if I can find someone who will take me just as seriously. I'm asking for your help, everyone. I live in Orlando, Florida. I'm desperate to seek out a form to learn that focuses solely on the jo or bo.

Gene _______???, You posted that you knew someone on the east side of Orlando that could help me out. I pm'd you twice and haven't gotten a reply.

David Somers- Let me know about that study group. I'm more than willing to attend. I've even found a place in Orlando that sells both the Bo and the Jo as well as a version similar to both but with a knife-type end. I'm ready.

So, anybody, please help me. I've never had this much of an interest in anything in my life (minus surfing) until now.

My personal email is pdavidson6@cfl.rr.com

Hell, even call me at home (407-895-2662)

Please give me real contact numbers or emails of someone I can get a hold of. I'm dying to get this started.

Thanks-
Patrick Davidson

(PS I have some other posts in the Gendai Budo Threads as well as general questions and posts if you want to see what I've been asking others)

PSS I'm in Germany until December 30th, so if anybody is trying to link up locally in Orlando, I won't be available until then, but feel free to post back, I'll get it.

dsomers
17th December 2004, 09:21
If you're willing to drive Sakimukai Sensei in Jacksonville , teaches Jodo . His website is www.chintokan.com . I am in the process of putting together , a Kobudo group , if you are interested , you can contact me privately . Also , I am Co-founder of The FL Budo Tomnokai , which is a friendship group of black belts that meet throughout the state . We've been known to play around w/ the Jo a bit . One of the other guys that trains w/ us is very interested in the Jo as well , & I am a bit too ; But , I dont wanna spread myself to thin . Now , I pretty much stick to Okinawa Goju Ryu , & Kobudo . I used to do many things , but you can only do so much .

David Somers
www.angelfire.com/fl5/okinawagojuryu

Brian Owens
17th December 2004, 12:53
Originally posted by pdavidson6
...I'm desperate to seek out a form to learn that focuses solely on the jo or bo.
You may have a hard time finding a school that only teaches bo or jo.

The jo is the primary focus of Shindo Muso Ryu, but they also work with kenjutsu quite a bit (can't learn jo v. ken waza without it), etc.

You might be able to find a karate sensei who would be willing to give you private lessons in Okinawan-style rokushakubo, but probably he or she would want you to be a karate student first.

When I was a practicing karateka, the bo was my favorite weapon. I liked the rather linear and forceful methods of Okinawan bo, and enjoyed several bo kata -- Kubo-no-kon and Matsumura-no-kon being the ones I remember.

If you are "not intersted in this solely for self defense, but more as a wholistic approach to fitness both physically as well as mentally and spiritaully" and are intrigued by "the use of a staff or bo or jo...that is so graceful" then I would recommend you take up the art of Aikido at a school that includes Aikijo (not all do, and not all that do have the same emphasis or approach). Aikijo, like Aikido itself, is very circular and flowing, with lots of blending and entering movements. It's different in many ways from Koryu Jojutsu and Jodo, but is a worthwhile study in its own right.

Lastly, you might check with Kendo groups in your area to see if there is an instructor who can lead you in the practice of ZNKR Seitei Jodo.

HTH and good luck in your search.