PDA

View Full Version : ShorinJi Dogi

chizikunbo
18th December 2004, 13:05
Does anyone know any good sites with pictures of a ShorinJi Dogi? A supply store mabey. Also could some one give me some infor on the ShorinJi Dogi, I am realtivly new to the subject so I would like to know.
Thanks,
--Josh

satsukikorin
18th December 2004, 13:51
Sure, we could get you photos.

First, though?\why do you want them?

You should understand that official dogi aren't available to non-Shorinji Kempo practitioners. If you aren't a kenshi, you can't have one.

chizikunbo
18th December 2004, 14:10
I am just curious and would like to learn about the art, did not plan on getting a ShorinJi Dogi as of this point anyway:) I have just found no good photos, and not a whole lot of info.
Thanks!

Kimpatsu
18th December 2004, 14:28
Josh, do you mean a dogi or a hoi?

chizikunbo
18th December 2004, 14:43
Hi Tony, I think I mean a Hoi, like your avatar on AMA :) Isnt that the black one with the rope looking belt, I mean I cannot make out details in any pictures :)

Kimpatsu
18th December 2004, 14:59
Originally posted by chizikunbo
Hi Tony, I think I mean a Hoi, like your avatar on AMA :) Isnt that the black one with the rope looking belt, I mean I cannot make out details in any pictures :)
Yes, that's a hoi, not a dogi.
It's only for black belts, who wear them for special occasions (closing ceremony, demos, etc.)

chizikunbo
18th December 2004, 15:07
I see, so they are not used for regular training? In that case you use a...Judo Gi?
Could you tell me a little about the Hoi, what are the significance of it, forinstance, I do not get the Obi?

Edited because I mispelled "could"

Kimpatsu
18th December 2004, 15:38
I see, so they are not used for regular training? In that case you use a...Judo Gi?
Could you tell me a little about the Hoi, what are the significance of it, forinstance, I do not get the Obi?

Edited because I mispelled "could"
The hoi is a traditional uniform worn by black belts for special occasions, the way that the miltary have dress uniform. The thick, sausage-like obi is no more special than Marine officers wearing a sword in their dress uniform.

chizikunbo
18th December 2004, 15:41
Thanks,
where was the hoi derived from? Shoalin robes?

Kimpatsu
18th December 2004, 15:45
Thanks,
where was the hoi derived from? Shoalin robes?
Yes. Sometimes they are referred to informally as "China clothing".

chizikunbo
18th December 2004, 15:48
Okay now I understand. We had, last year, a demonstration of ShroinJi Kempo at the kansas city Japan festival, but I do not know of a school around here anywhere of Shorin Ji

Anyone got pics?
Regaurds
--josh

Kimpatsu
18th December 2004, 15:51
Okay now I understand. We had, last year, a demonstration of ShroinJi Kempo at the kansas city Japan festival, but I do not know of a school around here anywhere of Shorin Ji

Anyone got pics?
Regaurds
--josh
I think your nearest branch is in aMiami, sorry.
What pics are you looking for?

chizikunbo
18th December 2004, 15:54
Originally posted by Kimpatsu
I think your nearest branch is in aMiami, sorry.
What pics are you looking for?

Well maybe some day when I come to Nippon I will get to train, until then, I was just looking for some pics that showed the Hoi with any amount of detail, and mabey a few shorinji techniques :)

Thanks!

Sunndew
18th December 2004, 18:21
Depending on where you are in Kanasa there are branchs in Denver, Chicago and 2 branchs in Alabama.....

chizikunbo
18th December 2004, 19:07
Thanks, maybe ill mka e road trip, I am in kansas city

Kimpatsu
19th December 2004, 00:10
Originally posted by Sunndew
Depending on where you are in Kanasa there are branchs in Denver, Chicago and 2 branchs in Alabama.....
Yes! Slowly but surely, we are taking over the world! :D

chizikunbo
19th December 2004, 03:27
Haha, I would like to see Shorin Ji sometime :)

Ewok
19th December 2004, 09:55
Theres a few movies around on the web with Shorinji examples, theres even a site with guys in hoi doing things.

http://www.suginoharyu.com/html/video/kempo.htm

Personal favorites are 7 and 8... weapon defence is very good, but that is one very very fast kintekigeri-hizauke-namigaeshi :D)