PDA

View Full Version : Style picking

Bokatu
18th December 2004, 23:01
Hi,

Currently I am thinking about going into the martial arts again. A long time ago I use to take TKD(only lasted a few years),Kempo and Jiu Jitsu(not long). I got hurt badle and cant remember how in a skiing accident but that ended my martial art career in my teens. Now I am 27 and thinking about getting back into it but its so expensive. I am a poor graduate student who can not afford much. Does anyone know a cheap but good school in nyc?.

MarkF
19th December 2004, 11:59
I am not a practitioner of karate, but I am experienced in expensive things in NYC on the Judo end of things. Even when attending a non-profit dojo there, it can get very expensive.

Have you checked out the YMCA, YWCA, or YMHA for classes? Also, rec. centers who have karate dojo tend to charge on the lower end so you should check that out, as well.

If you are not adverse to crossing the GW Bridge, it should be much cheaper.

Just a few suggestions. You should get some real advice from the karatedoka here, though. Stand by.

Mark

Lee Marsh
19th December 2004, 17:43
Contact some of the Hayashi-ha Shito-ryu folks up there. I don't know how cheap they are, but they could tell you some legit folks who might be teaching in gyms, health clubs, etc.

Steven Malanosk
20th December 2004, 10:08
Our good friend Tommy who frequents this site, teaches close to you for a good price = free I beleive.

Here is the link to his info page here on e-budo:

http://www.e-budo.com/vbulletin/member.php?s=&action=getinfo&userid=145

He teaches old school TKD = Korean KaraTe not the new stuff, and AiKiDo.

Check him out.

Bokatu
22nd December 2004, 21:30
I tried pm'ing your friend but he is probally busy until after the holidays.
Thanks for all your help =) and have a Merry Xmass and Happy Holidays

Kimpatsu
26th December 2004, 12:35
Originally posted by Bokatu
Currently I am thinking about going into the martial arts again. A long time ago I use to take TKD(only lasted a few years),Kempo and Jiu Jitsu(not long).
John, what do you mean by "Kempo"? The term is generic.

chizikunbo
26th December 2004, 16:26
RyuKyu Kempo
Kyoshi 8th Dan Albert Geraldi's sattelite school, one of Taika Oyatas top students, but not involved with the Ryu Te org. he is in the old org. Zenkoku Ryukyu kempo karate kobudo rengokai :)
Should get excellent instruction. though I dont know NYC I think this is close

MILLENIUM MARTIAL ARTS
Self-Defense & Fitness Center
285-5 Commack Road
Commack NY, 11735
Phone: 631-499-0600
e-mail:kempo99@msn.com

http://www.milleniummartialarts.com/home

Bokatu
27th December 2004, 03:28
Originally posted by Kimpatsu
John, what do you mean by "Kempo"? The term is generic.

It was called Kempo it was basically karate with a lot of self defense from what I remember was very good I used what I learned and it helped. It was so long ago I am basically starting from sratch trying to find a school close to Staten Island that is affordable since I am always 1 degree away from the poor house.

Kimpatsu
27th December 2004, 03:36
Originally posted by Bokatu
It was called Kempo it was basically karate with a lot of self defense from what I remember was very good I used what I learned and it helped. It was so long ago I am basically starting from sratch trying to find a school close to Staten Island that is affordable since I am always 1 degree away from the poor house.
John, as i say, "kempo" is a generic term. There are Shorinji Kempo, Nippon Kempo, Ryukyu Kempo (Okinawan Kempo), American Kempo, Kempo Karate... And that list is non-exhaustive. It would help if you could be more accurate.

Soulend
27th December 2004, 03:51
Does it really make a difference in relation to the purpose of the thread?

Kimpatsu
27th December 2004, 05:00
Originally posted by Soulend
Does it really make a difference in relation to the purpose of the thread?
It does if he wants advice on what to take up, if he wants his new style to have some similar attributes.
Then again, it just irks me that people write just "kempo", which is so broad as to be meaningless.

powerof0ne
27th December 2004, 07:42
Kempo and Kenpo can mean many different things and I have come across people that use it in many different ways to label a set style/art. Unfortunately the same dilemna has happened to my beloved art of karate-do; i.e.: someone that does american freestyle "karate" claims that they're a black belt in Shito Ryu, Shotokan, etc. but don't look anything like the REAL yudansha in shito ryu, shotokan, etc. I only bring this up because I know of a dojo near me that claims to be Shito Ryu but really isn't(the head instructor obtained either a shodan or nidan in shito ryu and is now a Judan). I have noticed that Karate, kempo, tae kwon do, judo, jujutsu can mean many different things because of the dillution and splintering within the ryu and ha. I'm not saying that all different ryu of these arts are bad but there are obviously some that dilluted/water down the art to the point that it is something totally different and worst. When I see a 7-9 y/o "Shito Ryu" black belt walking around I rest my case.
Sorry that I got a little offtrack but this is my biggest pet peeve right now in the martial arts community...all the fake crap out there.

Bokatu
27th December 2004, 09:20
Ah ok here is the link to the school I went to describing it. This guy was good I really liked him and learned a lot.

http://www.goshindosamurai.com/goshindo/GoshindoHistory.html

Soulend
27th December 2004, 09:50
Oh dear.

Kimpatsu
27th December 2004, 11:05
Originally posted by Soulend
Oh dear.
"Samurai jiu-jitsu" (sic), and the guy's a soke?
"Oh, dear" is right... :rolleyes:

Joseph Svinth
28th December 2004, 02:21
As Steve said, try Tom Militello. Per the member profile, his e-mail is tommyk1211 @ aol.com .

Margaret Lo
5th January 2005, 22:07
For shotokan karate on staten island, there's John Mullin's group.

http://www.wtko.org/index2.htm

Michael Bland
6th January 2005, 19:30
For RyuTe dojo of Classical Okinawan Karate available in New York, check:

http://www.kushu.com/ny.html

Bokatu
7th January 2005, 23:00
About shotokan I am interested but it seems too linear for me. I don't know much about it but I like more circular and linear actions with some locks and throws. If shotokan has that I stand corrected =) .

Joseph Svinth
8th January 2005, 22:07
Then consider Novell Bell, who teaches reasonably orthodox bagua with New York attitude. His website is http://www.blacktaoist.com .