PDA

View Full Version : Looking for a movie ... don't know the name ...

Doug Daulton
13th November 2000, 22:13
I recently caught snippets of what looked like a beautifully filmed period piece on cable ... but my TV viewing partners were not interested in watching it and I forgot to get the name.

The portion I saw had one lone samurai (maybe played by Mifune) helping some villagers defend a high mountain pass from brigands or other such rogues. Here are the things that struck me about it ...

1. It was filmed in the winter and used the contrast of the snow to great effect

2. Part of the defense of the mountain pass seemed to involve the use of gunpowder bombs that looked quite a bit like the old "cannonball with a wick".

If anyone has seen this film and can give me any info on it (name, director, year) I hope to track it down and watch it all the way through.

Thanks,

Gmason
14th November 2000, 12:10
Sounds like a film called "Ambush at Blood Pass" (well that's what they call it in the UK)

Staring Toshiro Mifune as the Samurai with no name from Yojimbo and Sanjiro films. He co-stars with Katsu Shintaro from the Lone wolf and Cub films.

There's not much action in it but the film is very good.

From what I understand this was the first time they appeared together in a film. They would then appear again in Yojimbo meets Zatoichi. I believe the reason they had never appeared together before was because they both owned Production company's, and in order to make this film Mifune and Shintaro cut a deal that if Mifune appeared in one of Shintaro's films, Shintaro would do like wise.

Sorry to go on but hey I like their films.

Gareth Mason

[Edited by Gmason on 11-14-2000 at 06:13 AM]