PDA

View Full Version : Ipe Naginata

tweety
21st December 2004, 15:31
I found this Ipe Naginata on E-bay. Neat!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=47347&item=7122299976&rd=1&ssPageName=WDVW

poryu
22nd December 2004, 14:16
Hi

would be ok if it was the right length

way too short

tweety
22nd December 2004, 16:36
Originally posted by poryu
Hi

would be ok if it was the right length

way too short

I've met the guy who makes them, if you want one of a certain length, type of wood, whatever. he can make it. Has very nice kunai and such as well.

poryu
22nd December 2004, 16:43
Hi

excellent

Bruce Mitchell
23rd December 2004, 00:32
Sorry guys,
Buty that is the most ridiculous POS that I have seen trying to pass itself off as a naginata. The porportions and blade shape are just plain wrong. Well, maybe not for a ninja...

P.S.~ I'm sure that the faults in the piece are due to a lack of understanding about naginata and not his woodworking skills. With some coaching he could probably turn out a decent piece.

tweety
23rd December 2004, 03:35
Originally posted by Bruce Mitchell
Sorry guys,
Buty that is the most ridiculous POS that I have seen trying to pass itself off as a naginata. The porportions and blade shape are just plain wrong. Well, maybe not for a ninja...

P.S.~ I'm sure that the faults in the piece are due to a lack of understanding about naginata and not his woodworking skills. With some coaching he could probably turn out a decent piece.

That naginata is certainly not normal size. I have a different one that he made that is much longer. It's nice. This blade design is also not based on the one 'True' naginata blade- artistic license I beleive it's called...

Thank you however for your constructive critism which I will forward to James. It betters all of us to hear it.

And yes, ninja like us can use it like a naginata even though it is a bit short, we're adaptable that way ;). Some of us have to make do with the 'shorties' we've got. Besides, James likes to experiment with new designs.

In any case if anyone would like to see pictures of his other stuff, which may be more to the historically-accurate-buffs liking, you can contact him through his website www.budotech.com/jvm. He'll probably do special orders, he likes excuses to make stuff. I beleive that the naginata on ebay was just a tester to see the sort of response it got.

I see you study naginatajutsu- that's awesome, I'm sure if you sent James your preferred measurements he could make you one from your preferred wood.

If anyone's interested, after the holidays, I'll post some photos of the other stuff I've got that he has made.

Thanks,

Soulend
23rd December 2004, 05:11
Seems like historical accuracy would be somewhat important, as the naginata is a historical weapon.

It would make a neat hockey stick though.