PDA

View Full Version : Okinawa in film?

Doug Daulton
13th November 2000, 21:31
Anyone know of any films (not instructional videos) which feature Okinawa as a setting?

The only ones I am familiar with are "Sonatine" (1993) and "Boiling Point" (1990) both are gangster pictures directed by and/or starring Takeshi Kitano a.k.a. ``Beat'' Takeshi.

Both films show a dark, modern gang subculture on the island. Given the beautiful settings, there must surely be other, lighter films set or at least filmed there?

I am trying to pull together a recommended viewing/reading list for the Okinawan Martial Arts forums. Any and all help is appreciated.

Thanks,

[Edited by Doug Daulton on 11-13-2000 at 04:40 PM]

Joseph Svinth
14th November 2000, 05:34
Isn't "Teahouse of the Autumn Moon," featuring Marlon Brando as the Okinawan guy, set in Okinawa? And who could forget the Karate Kid 2?

There should be some war movies, plus stuff at the National Archives. For reading, Sledge's book, "With the Old Breed at Pelelieu and Okinawa" should be required.

Ken Allgeier
15th November 2000, 03:11
From the old "Bugeisha" issue # 2,1997 on page 21 there is picture depicting old Okinawa the subtext say.

Quote:
" A photograph of Japanese actors dressed like Chikudoun Pechin of Okinawa's old Ryukyu Kingdom for the 1992 NHK TV series " Ryukyu no Kaze,( a 40 part mini-series depicting Okinawan life during the old Ryukyu Kingdom".

I have know idea how to obtain this mini-series,but I believe it would be great to have it.

ken allgeier

Doug Daulton
15th November 2000, 04:55
Originally posted by Ken Allgeier ... 1992 NHK TV series " Ryukyu no Kaze,( a 40 part mini-series depicting Okinawan life during the old Ryukyu Kingdom".

I have know idea how to obtain this mini-series,but I believe it would be great to have it.

Ken,

I hear you! If any one knows where to obtain this film(trans. "Wind of the Ryukyus"), please let us know.

I've already done a comprehensive search of the web (including Google, Amazon and NHK's sites) all to no avail. If I find anything in the future, I'll let everyone know.

Victor Smith
15th November 2000, 16:00
For really obscure Okinawa settings of movies I can top the cake.

The latest released "Mothera" video took place in Okinawa, and there was a Godzilla against MechaGodzilla movie which used an Okinawan Dog God to help defeat the evil forces.

MikeCallender
15th November 2000, 23:37
I would suggest "Pineapple tours". It shows the local area very well. It is a light hearted comedy about Okinawa shortly after the reversion. It makes Okinawa out to be a "country bumkin" sort of place. Today this is not the case.
With regard to Karate Kid 2--only two small scenes were filmed in Okinawa proper, the tea ceremony being one of them. The rest of the movie was filmed in the Philippines.

Mike Callender

MarkF
16th November 2000, 06:35
Which Tea ceremony? There were two.

MikeCallender
16th November 2000, 08:45
I will have to re-watch the movie, but if you recall the scene in which Daniel-san is sitting in a building opposite his female co-star, the building is on a small island in the middle of a lake, connected by a stone walk to the land. This area is just below Shuri Castle. I will try to pinpoint the other scene.
-Mike

Joseph Svinth
16th November 2000, 10:13
Have you checked the National Archives site? I just checked Okinawa and moving images, and got something like 750 hits.

Topics include:

Control No: NWDNM(m)-107.248
Title: NISEI FINDS OWN FAMILY ON OKINAWA

Control No: NWDNM(m)-107.1304
Title: BATTLE BABES OF OKINAWA, 1945.
Creating Org: United States. War Dept.

Control No: NWDNM(m)-306.3410
Title: U.S. RETURNS ISLAND OF OKINAWA TO JAPAN.
Creating Org: U.S. Information Agency (USIA).

According to film descriptions, bayonet training wasn't much wanted by the US Marines in 1945:

"Assault exercises using close air-ground cooperation are conducted against reproduction of Japanese caves, built in Texas to develop the best procedures for destroying cave fortifications in Okinawa and Japan. After air and ground reconnaissance, pin-point artillery fire and aircraft bombs and rockets destroy cave openings revealed by defoliation through artillery fire and bombings. Enemy support of the caves is neutralized by artillery and aircraft, while assault troops, supported by tanks and self-propelled guns, use demolition charges and flamethrowers to destroy the caves."

That one's from:

NWDNM(m)-111-FB-213
Media Motion picture films
Descr. Level Item
Record Group 111
Series FB
Item 213
Title SPHINX PROJECT: REDUCTION OF JAPANESE CAVE TYPE FORTIFICATIONS

Here's one that might be interesting, too:

Control Number NWDNM(m)-111-OF-10
Media Motion picture films
Descr. Level Item
Record Group 111
Series OF
Item 10
Title KNOW YOUR ENEMY; JAPAN
Title Added Entry Orientation film, no. 10; Japan
Title Added Entry Orientation film, no. 10
Production Date 1944
Format sound, black & white.
Creating Org. Signal Corps.
Accession Number 596
Scope & Content Documentary: Reviews its history, and philosophical and religious concepts. Reel 1 describes its history and descent of its emperor; importance of Shintoism; rise of Shogun and their Bushido code; isolationism; and trade agreement made by Comdr. Matthew Calbraith Perry; and government reorganization. Reel 2 traces its modernization through World War II. Government control of education; social and economic distinctions; invasion of Formosa, 1894, and Korea, 1910; Russo-Japanese War, 1904; World Wars I & II; bombings of Pearl Harbor and Japan. Gen. Jonathan Wainwright's surrender; Japanese atrocities; Manila's destruction; battles of Corregidor and Okinawa; Gen. Douglas MacArthur's return to Philippines.

Doug Daulton
25th November 2000, 17:14
Originally posted by Doug Daulton

Originally posted by Ken Allgeier ... 1992 NHK TV series " Ryukyu no Kaze,( a 40 part mini-series depicting Okinawan life during the old Ryukyu Kingdom".

Ken,

I hear you! If any one knows where to obtain this film(trans. "Wind of the Ryukyus"), please let us know.

I've already done a comprehensive search of the web (including Google, Amazon and NHK's sites) all to no avail. If I find anything in the future, I'll let everyone know.

Folks,

I did some digging with NHK regarding their historic mini-series "Ryukyu no Kaze" (Winds of the Ryukyus). Here is the result.

Dear Mr. Daulton,

Thank you for your enquiry about Ryukyu no Kaze. Unfortunately, the series was made for broadcast only and no videos are available.

I apologize for not being able to assist you and thank you for your interest.

Yours sincerely,

Archives Sales
NHK International
archives@nhkint.or.jp

Oh well. Maybe someone has a personal copy they'd be willing to share?