PDA

View Full Version : Okinawa in film?

Doug Daulton
13th November 2000, 22:34
Anyone know of any films (not instructional videos) which feature Okinawa as a setting?

The only ones I am familiar with are "Sonatine" (1993) and "Boiling Point" (1990) both are gangster pictures directed by and/or starring Takeshi Kitano a.k.a. ``Beat'' Takeshi.

Both films show a dark, modern gang subculture on the island. Given the beautiful settings, there must surely be other, lighter films set or at least filmed there?

I am trying to pull together a recommended viewing/reading list for this forum. Any and all help is appreciated.

Thanks,

[Edited by Doug Daulton on 11-13-2000 at 04:39 PM]

Joe Swift
14th November 2000, 02:55
Hi Doug-san,

Untama Giruu is also an interesting film, apparently based on an old folk ghost story. It is entirely in Uchinaguchi, and features cameo appearances by one Miyazato Eiko, a famous performing artist known for his martial arts dances (he is apparently also a skilled karateka). He performs nichogama in the movie.

Joe Swift

Doug Daulton
14th November 2000, 03:32
Originally posted by Joe Swift
Hi Doug-san,

Untama Giruu is also an interesting film, apparently based on an old folk ghost story. It is entirely in Uchinaguchi, and features cameo appearances by one Miyazato Eiko, a famous performing artist known for his martial arts dances (he is apparently also a skilled karateka). He performs nichogama in the movie.

Joe-san,

Thanks for info. Do you know if it is available on video (NTSC)? If so, where could I get it.

It would good practice for my Uchinaguchi! And budo tie-in sounds most promising as well.

Thanks,

BarthS
14th November 2000, 20:33
Doug:

"Flying Leathernecks" an old John Wayne movie is about the air war in the South Pacific. They made much use of actual war film footage and in one incident they show an Ohaka (Okinawan tomb) being napalmed on the side of a hill.

Joe Swift
8th December 2000, 00:45
Doug-san,

The flick I mentioned, Untama Giruu, was spoken in Uchinaguchi, with Hyoujungo subtitles...

Unfortunately the video shop where I first rented it has gone belly up, and haven't found it since in any of the other local video places...

I'll keep an eye out at any rate.

Doug Daulton
8th December 2000, 01:21
Originally posted by Joe Swift
Doug-san,

The flick I mentioned, Untama Giruu, was spoken in Uchinaguchi, with Hyoujungo subtitles...

Unfortunately the video shop where I first rented it has gone belly up, and haven't found it since in any of the other local video places...

I'll keep an eye out at any rate. Thanks Joe!