PDA

View Full Version : Kenjutsu in Heidelberg, Germany

Heidelberg2004
29th December 2004, 17:47
Hello, folks! I'm hoping someone in these forums can help me out.

I am currently stationed in Heidelberg, Germany, and I will be here for the next three years. I am looking for koryu training in kenjutsu and/or iaijutsu (e.g., tenshin shoden katori shinto ryu, etc.). I have no training in kenjutsu, but I do have prior martial arts training.

Any help you can provide would be deeply appreciated.

Thanks!

Chuck.Gordon
29th December 2004, 18:15
Greetings from the other side of Germany!

In your neck of the woods, I'd be surprised if there's ANY (legit) koryu kenjutsu, but you can probably find some Muso Shinden Ryu (an excellent koryu-based iaido system)

I'll ask around.

I do know there's a Kashima Shinryu study group up in Frankfurt.

Just curious, have you done koryu weapons before and if so, what systems? Other (gendai) budo under your belt (so to speak)?

Chuck

(Look me up if you get to Grafenwoehr, or look for me in the global address on your U'R Outlook e-mail). I'm the deputy PAO for 7th ATC and run a small budo study group Tues and Thurs eves)

Heidelberg2004
29th December 2004, 21:43
Howdy! Thanks for the reply. I would definitely be in your debt if you could dig a little and see if you can find a koryu sensei in this area.

I've never trained in a koryu before; my background is mostly northern Shaolin kung fu and Kodenkan jujutsu with a smattering of other styles (kenpo, TKD, Viet Vo Dao) learned under a variety of teachers. There was a period there in the early 90's where I was playing "musical sensei/sifu" -- as soon as I'd start getting into some serious training, my teacher would have to skip town (for other-than-legal reasons). They always told me it had nothing to do with my technical proficiency... :rolleyes: ...so I never took it personally...:D

I'll definitely make it a point to drop by when I swing by Grafenwoehr.

Thanks again!

Nicki Gerstner
30th December 2004, 15:32
Hello,

indeed there is Kashima Shinryu in Frankfurt, here´s the link:

http://www.kashima-shinryu.de/

Hope this helps you.

Nicki Gerstner

Chidokan
30th December 2004, 20:29
One of my students has just returned to Salzburg, (MJER), but he is practising with MSR people there at an aikido dojo. There is a large collection of MA people I met with ZNIR links, so you should get a legitimate connection somewhere in your area. I would ask around the MA clubs in the locality and see where they can point you to...

Krusse
3rd January 2005, 10:27
In Mannheim:
Muso Shinden Ryu

http://www.namban-tetsu.de/iaido.htm

They also have a branch in heidelberg afaik, but I think they only teach kendo there, not really sure though.
You can still contact them and maybe they can help you with further contacts.

Edit: I've also ran across some legitimate :) kenjutsu practicioners here in Mainz, but not sure what ryu or where they teach/learn.