PDA

View Full Version : Native Ability????

L-Fitzgerald
7th January 2005, 17:30
“Native Japanese Ability”

Employer: Motorola, Inc.
Date Posted: 12-27-2004
Specific Knowledge/Skills *MUST HAVE NATIVE JAPANESE ABILITY* -10 plus years of experience in automotive industry hardware and software development or immediately related field- Ability...

Cady Goldfield
7th January 2005, 17:33
Dang! I KNEW I shoulda majored in Japanese instead of American when I went to Native Ability vocational-tech school.

L-Fitzgerald
7th January 2005, 17:40
The "Dang" gave you away gal...........

Hi Cady,

Spent the past few months looking at tractors and getting the farm up and running in 2 years....

L Fitzgerald

Cady Goldfield
7th January 2005, 18:18
Dunno how you can keep yourself down on the farm since you've been to the Big City, L!

L-Fitzgerald
7th January 2005, 19:09
Spent Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday of this week at One Madison Ave in a work related computer course.

The contrast was interesting! Hearing the rooster start the day at 3:30 in the morning when nothing else is stirring in the woods. Crossing my infamous bridge [it's already withstood a "near flood over"] and after first checking into my office in Jersey City 2 blocks from the Holland Tunnel taking the Path Train to 23rd Street and then walk east for 3 blocks. Having a fast food lunch [hey it is the city after all] on a bench in Madison Park while listening to the sounds of the city.

Then walking back to the PATH train to head home..... the bright side to all of this is that retirement is a mere 27 months away.....

However, the most interesting thing is the look on peoples faces when they hear that I'm going to be a farmer after retiring! They ask why? But have no answer to my response of "Why Not?"

Hmmm Do you think I'll need some "Native ability" to be successful at growing "SHIITAKE MUSHROOMS?" After all it is a Japanese word for Mushrooms that grown on a Shii Tree!

Daniel Lee
8th January 2005, 01:33
That has to be one of my favorite indirect racist comments in the jobs column of newspapers here in Japan. It does run a close second to the more popular "only japanese nationals need apply" though!

This all reminds me of a contrary fictional country called Yapan I was reading about the other day that supposedly was facing rapidly aging older and shrinking younger generations, and was needing to open up job markets to foreign work power. Boy it's a good thing things in Japan aren't anything like Yapan. ;)

Cady Goldfield
8th January 2005, 02:47
I bet Yapan also is having problems producing male heirs to the throne, too, and needs to consider restoring female rulers!

Daniel Lee
8th January 2005, 15:10
I hear you, Cady! I'm hoping the next chapter in this fictitious Yapan story turns out well.

Dan Harden
9th January 2005, 15:49
Hi Dan, Cady, and Larry

Hey Cady, finally up and remaining vertical. Mat got it too. Four days on my back zzzzzzzz.

Yapan! I have heard rumors of that strange and wonderous land.
Culture shift or Culture shock? One can lead to the other.
Statistical aging of a culture is a harbinger of major change. The kiddies are not breeding and thriving because they do not like the conditions they are living in.
Of the admittedly little that I know of Yapan, I have often wondered what the compelling reasons are for any young Yapan women to marry. And whether or not the lack of interest these women show in perpetuating the social standard has already or will soon spur the younger Yapanese men to change their ways? I seem to remember that a similar shift happened in a country called Amerika in the 70's and the subsequent drop in the birth rate resulted in a serious short fall in the young labor pool in the nineties.
Fortunately for us and due to a series of concurrent events the culture shift happened, everyone readjusted, marriage is in vogue again, and we have a mini-baby boom going on.

Cheers
Dan

Cady Goldfield
9th January 2005, 17:04
Let's hope that story of the fictitious land of Yapan has a happy ending. Maybe the author of that cautionary tale could use some of the plot twists that led to the happier ending to the story of that fictitious land of Amerika!

Larry, I'm impressed with your adaptation to a dual life. Any fresh photos to post of the farmstead?

Glad you're staying vertical, Dan. Just in time for another intensive long weekend of travel 'n' training on the Upper Left Coast.

P.S. I hope to get out there for April and June, so if an opportunity arises to serve tea while out there then, I wanna be in on it. ;)

me