PDA

View Full Version : Darwin's World

Veon
11th January 2005, 07:50
This might be a strange question to post in a MA forum; but here it comes:

I’m starting up a game of a Darwin’s world, a post apocalyptic RPG. And to prepare I want to know as much as possible about long term effects of total nuclear war, the nature of mutations and walking with limited supply of food and water. So I was wondering if anyone here knows anything about any of the subjects, or know where I should look.
I’ve tried googling it, but my googling skills are the sux

Ero Sennin
11th January 2005, 15:30
There have been no cases of any beneficial mutations(that I'm aware of), although I have read some cases concerning insects but in terms of human beings atleast or any other mammal then mutations would only have negative effects, the most common being as stated above, birth defects. These defects would consist of things such as missing body parts, deformations and cancer. I've also read that cockroaches would be largely unaffected by a nuclear holocaust...if that's any use to you.

Moenstah
11th January 2005, 15:46
I once read somewhere that the worms in the vicinity of Tsjernobyl were 20% bigger than their counterparts in other places. But I'm not sure, nor do I know the source for this.

Sapporo Ichiban
11th January 2005, 17:04
Granted, it's been a long time since I studied cell biology but why would the mutations all be 'negative?' I understand that the deaths from radiation poisoning would be considered 'negative' but the mutations among surviving generations --> wouldn't they be random?

Sure, you might look a little funny . . . but that extra hand could increase productivity by 50%. Headhunters would be calling you day and night with juicy compensation packages. And that eye on the back of your head? Why . .

Veon, sorry, know this doesn't help.

cxt
11th January 2005, 17:34
You might try to locate the old "Gamma World" RPG.

A bit far out there--but it might be good source material.

Chris Thomas

Ero Sennin
11th January 2005, 18:12
Originally posted by Sapporo Ichiban
Granted, it's been a long time since I studied cell biology but why would the mutations all be 'negative?' I understand that the deaths from radiation poisoning would be considered 'negative' but the mutations among surviving generations --> wouldn't they be random?

Sure, you might look a little funny . . . but that extra hand could increase productivity by 50%. Headhunters would be calling you day and night with juicy compensation packages. And that eye on the back of your head? Why . .

Veon, sorry, know this doesn't help.

There could quite possibly be a beneficial mutation that is yet to appear or that hasn't been recorded but as far as I've read, there have been no beneficial human mutations. Although not beneficial you could still take the point of view that a mutation might not be entirely 'negative' either.

Ron Rompen
11th January 2005, 23:15
Re: No beneficial 'human' mutations

I dunno...the opposable thumb comes to mind right away. Otherwise, how the @#)(*&%$# could I hold my beer with one hand, and pop the top with the other???

Brian Owens
12th January 2005, 05:11
Originally posted by Veon
...I want to know as much as possible about long term effects of total nuclear war, the nature of mutations and walking with limited supply of food and water. So I was wondering if anyone here knows anything about any of the subjects, or know where I should look.

One of the best and most authoritative works on the subject is Life After Doomsday by Bruce Clayton. Probably long out of print, but you may find used copies on E-bay or Amazon, or maybe at your local library. I loaned out my copy years ago and it was never returned, so I don't know the publisher or ISBN number.

For information on walking with limited supplies, try the Government Printing Office or your local library for military survival manuals. The Air Force Air Crew Survival guide (AFM 64-5), written with downed pilots in mind, might be especially useful.

Here is a link to an excerpt from another Air Force manual (AFM 64-4) regarding nuclear, chemical, and biological weapons exposure: NBC Conditions (http://www.surviveanuclearattack.com/NuclearConditions.html)

HTH.

MikeWilliams
12th January 2005, 12:08
Originally posted by cxt
You might try to locate the old "Gamma World" RPG.

[nerd mode] Gamma World was hilarious. One of my favourite old-skool RPGs. But it was very tongue-in-cheek, and took a very 'comic-book' approach to armageddon. I don't think it would provide you with much legitimate source info, but it would provide you with some fun ideas for mutants!

A much more serious game (to the point of unplayability) was Apocalypse Now. That would be a better bet for a 'realistic' approach. [/nerd mode]

MikeWilliams
12th January 2005, 17:04
Originally posted by MikeWilliams
Apocalypse Now[/B]

Of course I meant 'Aftermath', not Apocalypse Now. I am clearly suffering from some sort of brain mutation.

Ero Sennin
12th January 2005, 18:38
Originally posted by Ron Rompen
Re: No beneficial 'human' mutations

I dunno...the opposable thumb comes to mind right away. Otherwise, how the @#)(*&%$# could I hold my beer with one hand, and pop the top with the other???

Depends whether you want to term something which occured through evolution as a mutation. A natural mutation though.

That aside, this discussion is about mutations caused by radiation. There have been no beneficial human mutations which have occured through radiation. Hope that helps with your excessive question marks.

Ron Rompen
13th January 2005, 22:02
Hmmmm...FRESH MEAT!!!!!

Let's start with the first one....'There have been no beneficial human mutations which have occured through radiation.' Please cite your evidence/source which has examined ALL cases of human mutation through ALL sources of radiation. Please ensure you include solar and stellar radiation, as these are the most common and predominant forms of radiation to which humans (and all other life forms) are exposed.

And now the second one.....'Depends whether you want to term something which occured through evolution as a mutation. A natural mutation though'. Absolutely I do. All evolution is through mutation (another term for 'this is different than what was there before'.

Mutation is going on ALL THE TIME. Simply because you (and I) are not aware of it doesn't mean that it isn't happening. Is it beneficial? I don't know. Is it harmful? Again, I don't know.

GreySilk
15th January 2005, 17:06
Try the game Fallout, Fallout 2 and Fallout Tactics. All occur in a post-nuclear stage in the future.