PDA

View Full Version : Shindo Muso Ryu Jodo Media

Zeeburaman
11th January 2005, 22:27
Hello All

I'm a relatively new student of SMR Jodo (only been training for about 6 months or so). While I'm training regularly and making good progress, I felt it might be rewarding to be able to study the kata in my own time at home as well, via books or videos.

Can anyone recommend any good DVDs, videos, books etc that feature the kihon waza and kata? I've found Matsui Kenji Sensei's DVD set online, and wondered what it was like...

Of course nothing can substitute for the experience of training--no one is going to learn any art solely from a book or video--but it can be useful to watch and replay techniques sometimes!

Best

Thom Marchbank

Earl Hartman
12th January 2005, 01:29
If you are doing ZNKR seitei jodo, as opposed to koryu SMR jo(jutsu), then perhaps some of the videos available might be useful (don't know, never seen them).

If you are doing koryu SMR, then I'm not sure if there is anything available. Each line of transmission in SMR seems to have its own way of doing things, so unless the video is made by people within your tradition, it would probably not be wise to try to copy the stuff in videos made by people from another line.

In any case, if anybody has any videos, it is Peter Boylan. I can't remember his URL right offhand. Sorry.

Of course, when in doubt, ask your teacher and do what he says.

Zeeburaman
12th January 2005, 02:06
Thanks for your post, Earl.

It's Koryu SMR Jo, not ZNKR Seitei Jo, that I've been doing. I'm with the Australian Jodokai, affiliated to Nishioka Tsuneo Sensei's Sei Ryu Kai and a part of the IJF.

The seitei kata form a part of our curriculum, so even if the videos were on these only they'd probably still be useful, even if there were minor variations in execution and technique.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Thom Marchbank

Earl Hartman
12th January 2005, 03:00
Oh, very good. I am a member of the same group. I'm not too familiar with the Australian contingent. Who is the teacher there? (I study under Relnick Sensei.)

Yes, we do seitei, but only up to a point, and even the way we do seitei is a little "koryu-ized", or so I have been led to believe.

Anyway, like I said, ask your teacher and he will tell you what you should do.

Zeeburaman
12th January 2005, 03:18
Excellent! Good to know that you're also training in Koryu SMR. I've really been enjoying it so far.

Paul Maloney heads up the Australian Jodokai:

http://www.geocities.com/Tokyo/Dojo/1276/jodo.html

I've heard quite a bit about Phil Relnick Sensei--we're actually very fortunate to have Sensei come for a three day seminar in Australia in late February:

http://www.jojutsu.com/index.php?option=events#

Your recommendation is of course a very sound one--Paul Maloney is a fantastic teacher, and all his seniour students ineffably experienced, helpful and understanding.

charlesl
12th January 2005, 07:15
My in-laws bought me the "Shindo Muso ryu jojutsu (v1-3)" videos by Matsuji Ken (?). I enjoyed watching them, but it's what Earl said. There were differences to what I've been taught, and for the kata that I don't already know pretty well, I think they'd just confuse me.

At least that's my take on it.

Tim Atkinson
12th January 2005, 21:51
Thom,

Until resently I lived in Sydeny and trained with Paul and the lads. I am now in QLD. I will be down in Sydney to attend the said seminar.

Back to topic, talk to Andy about getting and copy of Pascal Kreiger's Jo book if it is still available.

Talk to Warwick (shorter one) about other books, he has a very extensive library and can most likely tell you which books to go for and what to avoid.

As Earl has stated, best to ask locally, Having said that, all three of us are training under the guidance of Relnick Sensei anyway.

See you Feb.

Zeeburaman
13th January 2005, 03:42
Thanks Charles and Tim.

Tim: I'll certainly talk to Andy and Warwick (not the tall one! Well, not that he wouldn't be helpful as well, but it's blond Warwick that has the library)--they're both great guys. Andy was only helping me out last night with the finer points of tai hazushi uchi and dobarai uchi... ^_^

Please forgive the naivete about different interpretations, and I didn't mean to imply that I couldn't ask around my local group... to be honest I just felt like contributing to the E.Budo under Jo and couldn't think of a good thread to open up... as I said, I've only been training for about 6 months.

Thanks for everyone's help, and see you in late Feb, Tim (PS: Did I meet you training one Sunday when you were last in Sydney?).

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Thom Marchbank

Mr. Matt
30th January 2005, 02:39
If you're looking for a kihon video, check this out...

http://www.jodojo.com/eng/kihonmovie.htm

It looks like it's in Japanese, but if you're training with a Sei Ryu Kai school, this should be just right for you.

Also, check out the Q&A they have on this site. I've never met Nishioka-sensei, but he sounds like a really fun guy!

Jonathon Sumner
30th January 2005, 04:25
Just a few words to add.

Matsui Kenji's video represents the Fukuoka Line of Jo and many of the kata are slightly different than the way they are done in the Tokyo style (i.e. as done by Nishioka or Kaminoda etc.) You will not for example find the "Gohon no Midare" set in Matsui Kenji's video... at least not in the copies I have.

I got my copy of Pascal Krieger's Jodo book by writing him directly and asking him if he could sell me one. He mailed me a copy while I was living in Japan. He told me in a letter that he wrote the book prior to his association with Nishioka Sensei, and thus there are a lot of things in the book one might not see Nishioka's students doing. While the book is an excellent source of information not all of the kata are demonstrated. Matsui Kenji does have a large hard bound book with all the kata of the Fukuoka line. It's 10,000 yen, it's still in print... I think. There is Kaminoda's Jodo Kyohan, not in print, and this book will cost you more depending on where you get it... and (I hope I don't get into trouble here...) it is not the definitive reference, but it is worth having if you do Jo I think. There are some books and video that just address the Zenken Kata as well.

JS

dsomers
30th January 2005, 09:15
You can find some here:
http://search.ebay.com/_W0QQsassZaikininpo