PDA

View Full Version : Maniwa Nen Ryu Cutting at raindrops ?

Okashira
14th January 2005, 18:48
Hello everyone,

Some months ago there had been an article in a greek budo magazine about Tameshigiri. In the end of the article there was this story (roughly translated):

"Today in Japan there are held Tameshigiri competitions, and in one of them, many years ago, an old teacher of Maniwa Nen Ryu, seated peacefully in a stool, in a quick drawing of his sword cut a raindrop droping from the roof, on a rainy day, infront of the surprised audience. The amazing thing was that this man was blind".

This story was similar to Dave Lowry's "Cutting at raindrops" so I wanted to learn more about it.
I contacted the author and he told me that he heard the story from two independent sources, but nothing more.

Can someone confirm this story, or redirect me to some written source about it?

Thanks

bill jensen
15th January 2005, 21:17
Offhand, I'd say the story is mere fantasy. Never heard of any tale even remotely similar.

Okashira
15th January 2005, 22:52
Originally posted by bill jensen
Offhand, I'd say the story is mere fantasy. Never heard of any tale even remotely similar.

OK, thank you very very much for your reply.
I really do appreciate it.

pacman2323
16th January 2005, 12:50
big deal i can break raindrops with my head(so can anyone)
i imagine if you do any cut a rain drop would fall on the blade thus appearing cut.

-chihiro jonesone

niten ninja
16th January 2005, 13:35
Good point, how do you know if you've cut a rain drop? oh well it sounds cool... though also untrue. Zaitoichi is real?