PDA

View Full Version : Shogun At Royal Armouries, Leeds

The Nephilim
18th January 2005, 19:16
This year, the Royal Armouries are holding a display of Japanese arts.

Talking with one of the people that do the demonstrations, they are having over from one of the shrines, Japanese skilled in the art of Bow and arrow on horseback. This will include one of the four people in the world that actually does the bow in full armour.

If anyone is intersted and for more information click here (http://www.royalarmouries.org//extsite/view.jsp?sectionId=1900) . This will last for about 2 months and is worth a visit, even if you do not get to see any of the shows.

Brian Owens
20th January 2005, 07:16
Originally posted by The Nephilim
...Japanese skilled in the art of Bow and arrow on horseback....

Ah, yabu same. Too bad I live on the wrong side of the pond. I'd love to see it for real instead of only on films. And I've never seen it performed in full armor. (Do you have a video camera, Will?)

The Nephilim
20th January 2005, 10:17
Originally posted by Brian Owens
Ah, yabu same. Too bad I live on the wrong side of the pond. I'd love to see it for real instead of only on films. And I've never seen it performed in full armor. (Do you have a video camera, Will?)

I do have a video camera, but not digital. From what one of the demonstrators told me, they will be bringing items from Japan just for the 2 month show.

So if you wish, I will send you a video if I can get someone to convert it to American format for you. :)

Brian Owens
21st January 2005, 06:04
Originally posted by The Nephilim
I do have a video camera, but not digital. From what one of the demonstrators told me, they will be bringing items from Japan just for the 2 month show.

So if you wish, I will send you a video if I can get someone to convert it to American format for you. :)

I have a friend who is a film/video producer, and he can convert PAL to NTSC for me. When you get back, send me a PM regarding copying costs, postage, etc.

Thanks!

The Nephilim
21st January 2005, 08:11
Yeah will do. Why miss out on something like this, if you can get someone to film it for you. :D

Kokoro
21st January 2005, 10:30
Will

Make that 2 copies then :p

Seriously should be a good show, will try to make it and get some photos / footage myself

Tripitaka of AA
24th January 2005, 13:30
I wonder if Karl Beattie will be there... ;) (See Bad Budo forum for details about the famous "UK Samurai").

Kokoro
24th January 2005, 14:33
David

Now that would be worth the free entry alone :D

The Nephilim
24th January 2005, 23:52
Originally posted by Tripitaka of AA
I wonder if Karl Beattie will be there... ;) (See Bad Budo forum for details about the famous "UK Samurai").

I hope not. All these Japanese coming over from their shrine will juse die of embarrasemnt. After all, even some of out junior kids could beat him in a fair fight. :D

tddeangelo
29th January 2005, 12:56
I'd be onboard for a copy of such a video too!:D

Just let me know what you need to compensate you for tape, time, shipping,etc.

Tom

The Nephilim
1st February 2005, 00:51
Originally posted by tddeangelo
I'd be onboard for a copy of such a video too!:D

Just let me know what you need to compensate you for tape, time, shipping,etc.

Tom

I will see what I can do for you.

Trevor Johnson
3rd February 2005, 21:14
Sounds like you need to go into video distribution. I'd love a copy myself if it's not too much trouble. Reimbursal etc go for me as well...

The Nephilim
3rd February 2005, 22:36
I am not really bothered about sending out home films for profit over this. It is a free event and I see no problem with people wanting something that they may consider to be too far away and can not get to the exibition during that time period.

Reason that I am posting it now, is to not only promote it as to what is happeneing, but to other e-budo members that may consider this part of the world a place to visit and to go and see the exibition at the Armouries.

If people want a copy, then PM me with contact addresses or email me, and I will send out copies, if people are willing to pay for the shipping and price of the tape.

bu-kusa
12th June 2005, 15:27
Hi all, I recently attended the Royal Armouries, leeds (UK) for their Shogun event which from their web site ‘seemed’ to not only have a display of artefacts from the life of Tokugawa Ieyasu, but also have displays of Japanese arts, such as ‘’Kobudo, how the gun came to Japan, and the art of Bow and arrow on horseback’’ etc.

The actual artefacts display was in fact very good, and very historically interesting, although the display did seem to take for granted a prior knowledge of the period. So much so that a through read up (or indeed viewing of the discovery channels documentary) is pretty much essential to make the most of the display.

For the actual displays, apart from an art event where a very talented and skilled lady spent a couple of hours making a Japanese style landscape, a team of the royal armouries ‘’interpreters’’ did all of the demonstrations.
The talk on Kobudo was actually an introductory talk with demonstration, on how the samurai used to dress in armour, and the differences in armour throughout Japanese’s history, which was interesting but a little limited.
Next was a workshop for children on Origami, which I didn’t attend, and then a demonstration of Iaido and a talk on how the gun came to Japan. The Iaido demonstration was in cramped part of the oriental hall, and seemed to have some strange ideas about bowing (such as staring at your opponent whilst conducting the lowest bow I’ve ever seen!) attached to what my uneducated eyes looked like an iaido kata. This was then followed by a talk on how the gun came to Japan, which was mostly aimed at the 8-14 age range of the audience, which worked very well with the audience it was intended for.

the main highlight of the day was the demonstration of ‘’the samurai and Indian mogul art of Bow and arrow on horseback’’ this as before was done by a team of the royal armouries ‘’interpreters’’ (these interpreters have won various competitions in European style jousting events, and looked to have very good control of their horses throughout).
The demonstrations, consisted of:
1) Some falconry (which I missed due to lunch)
2) Some mat cutting in the same quasi Iaido style (the actual name wasn’t mentioned),
3) A comparison between different styles of mounted archery (two from different periods of Japan, one in Mongol/Indian armour)
4) A comparison between European rates of fire between a foot archer and a musketeer,
5) And a demonstration of Spear/Yari work on horse back, whilst this wasn’t yabu same by any standard, the sight of three different archers in full armour (two from different periods of Japan, one in Mongol/Indian armour) in the correct (I guess) horse tack, shooting arrows at full canter, was quite awe inspiring.

All in all not as amazing as it could have been but not a bad day at all, plus you get to look round the rest of the Royal Armouries, Leeds, which if you like long pointy things is worth a look any day!

Ps if you look in the gift shop they sell authentic Kill Bill ™ Swords! Nice touch!

Anybody else seen the display yet? Any thoughts on the Iaido?

william northcote
12th June 2005, 15:39
I aMm going for a wander through next Sunday. A few people from e-budo have shown an interest and have wanted a video of the armor and the horse riding ETC As it is on now, I think I better dig out the camera and take a wander over.

bu-kusa
12th June 2005, 15:57
from the flyer, the archery is only on each wednesday and saturdays!
also
''but from on weekends from 11 june to the 17th july there will be a series of special japense events''

how special i dont know!

but check out www.shogun.org.uk

or their info line on 08700344344 or 01132201916

william northcote
16th June 2005, 23:36
I went to see a demonstration of female Japanese as part of the exibition. For all the sword cutting and Yari and Naginata, they sure know how to mess up. According to the demonstrator, Hasso is Ichimonji. :rolleyes:

And they do not know who Hattora [sp] is either.

ScottUK
17th June 2005, 11:22
Had a chat to the guy at the Armouries. It seems like there's a lot of ikebana, origama etc coming up but not that much MA. If we come up for a day in the next few weeks, any ideas which day would be best?

poryu
17th June 2005, 13:51

Hji Will;

I will be going to the armouries several times.

I can convert video tape yto dvd and make the dvd any region that is required.

whent he event is over we could all combine film and pics we have taken and put them on dvd for some of the overseas people

william northcote
18th June 2005, 20:29
I think that would be better. Something like this is a rare occasion so it should be recorded for people that can not get there to see it themselves.