PDA

View Full Version : A question on etiquette

TysonWalters
20th January 2005, 01:44
If you are a student of a teacher, and you need to go away to solve a personal problem, but you have a choice of whether to stay or go. If you choose to go, but feel conficted leaving, what is the correct etiquette for this situation in approaching your teacher? I would be gone for at least one year.

Many thanks,

Tyson

Blackwood
20th January 2005, 16:48
I would certainly talk with the teacher and insure that they understand that it has nothing to do with them, their style or anyone at the school.

that is always going to be the first concern "Did I do something to drive them away?" Let them know it isn't anything they did or did not do. Simply a personal matter.

You simply have to pause in your journey and you hope to continue down the road with them in the future.

pgsmith
20th January 2005, 22:46
that is always going to be the first concern "Did I do something to drive them away?"
Ummm, not within the koryu it won't be. The first concern will most likely be "Why has this person disregarded their responsibilties to the ryu?" The koryu are not generally like the corner dojo that is worried about what the students think. The main concern of the koryu is the ryu. That is how they have survived through the centuries.

I definitely agree that you need to discuss it with your sensei. No matter how devoted, life sometimes gets in the way.

Good luck, and I hope it's a good reason!

TysonWalters
20th January 2005, 23:12
Thank you for your responses gentleman,

I will share my reason. The reason is personal debt. I will have graduated with my second University degree this April, yet I cannot find employment that can sustain me, my training, and the payment of my student loans. And because of this, and some bureaucracy from the Banks, my loans are now a little shaky. They are not in bad shape... but I have realized that if I stay in the area I am in... I will become financially unwell. The only reason I have stayed here is my training, because it is so important.

What I am struggling with is that I realize the commitment I have made, but I feel selfish for leaving because it will cause some hardship on our Sempai, (We are a very small Dojo). I know I will not be around to help with things the way he needs to help our Sensei. So this is the debate I have now. Am I being selfish in trying to solve some major problems in my life by leaving to where I can make money, or do I deserve in some small respect to expect the art and my life to be in harmony.

I hope I have been able to communicate my dilemma adequately.

Sincerely,

T

renfield_kuroda
21st January 2005, 06:59
Being thrown in debtors prison, or getting knifed by an unsavory collection agent, etc. will certainly NOT help your dojo.
Discuss it with sensei, in total confidence, and get the hell outta town.
But also, take care of your life. If you are in such dire finances that you have to move, you definintely need to make a plan. After talking to sensei, go talk to a financial consultant; usually some free services at the local city hall, bank, credit union, friend of uncle, etc.

Regards,

r e n

carl mcclafferty
21st January 2005, 12:31
Tyson:
About a third of the members in the MHK are Feds or military. We move about every two to five years years. The good thing is that you leave people who can train in the area your leaving and bring new people in where you're going. Even some of the people who are not Feds seem to get "long" details to far away places (right Paul). Its nice that you worry about your dojo, but in reality your livelihood and future are the right priorities. Talk to your dojocho, he might think a study group where you settle might be good for your org. If he/she gets upset blow it off, this isn't fuedal Japan.

Good luck
Carl McClafferty

Bill Gallant
21st January 2005, 13:18
Hi Tyson,
If I may ask where do you live now and where will you be living?

TysonWalters
21st January 2005, 14:35
Bill,

I sent you a private message.

T

Martyn van Halm
26th January 2005, 04:05
I'd try to see my sensei in private and tell him about my problems and the solutions I have in mind. Perhaps he has other solutions or perhaps the problem can be put in another perspective.

Good luck.

mech
30th January 2005, 22:51
You talk about pain.... about how hard is for you to leave training and that you wont be able to support him this year (you master), and about the debt you have and wont be forget.

Then you both cry a little and done....jajajaj you re free

Thats how it is

Mech
manuel Ch. A.
Caracas

TysonWalters
2nd February 2005, 15:37
You talk about pain.... about how hard is for you to leave training and that you wont be able to support him this year (you master), and about the debt you have and wont be forget.

Perhaps something has been lost in translation Mr. Meck.

I have no intention of proceeding in that manner. I personally do not feel that would be the way I would wish to go. It sounds as though you are advocating putting on a blanket statement of my suffereing, so that I may get out of something.

I have no intention to quit my training in any capacity, but am struggling with having to leave my training/Dojo/Sensei, in a geographic sense, due to personal difficulties.

I plan to tell my teacher the truth, but not a story to make it easier on myself.

Respectfully,

Tyson Walters

mech
2nd February 2005, 22:44
no, you dont get out of nothing, your path is in your hands and you have decided to move, nothing can change this, this is a little example of a relation of honor in belhalf of the productive relation that was and have to be ended in an armonic and special manner, that means to correctly close the circle.

Simple: Its was such pleasure and honor to train you, that it is nothing less than pain what I feel to move out, nothing is easy: not to enter, nor train, nor leave....

Etiquette must be practical, beatiful and totally sincere, then you show you learned something from the sensei.

"Hear to all, listen to few, you decide"
mkgoe10

Mech
Caracas, Venezuela