PDA

View Full Version : ewabo and the keijo

Jody Holeton
15th November 2000, 18:58
Dear Mrs.Skoss,

A while back I had an interesting conversation with one of my instructors. The words "ewabo" and "keijo" were brought up...

Are these different syles of jo? I thought the keijo was just what Japanese police called their riot jo? I'm thinking that the "kei-" comes from keiko? I have no idea about the ewabo..

Could you shed some light on these two words or direct me where I can do more research?

Thanks---Jody Holeton

pboylan
15th November 2000, 19:17
Hi Jody,

I'm not Dianne, but I can help with part of your question. The "kei" in "keijo" comes from "keisatsu" or police.

I don't have any idea what "ewabo" is. Did you hear about this in the same dojo where the guy tried to tell me that the real goal of hikiotoshi uchi is to embed the jo on the end of the sword so you can disarm the guy that way?

So, are you going to come down and play on Sunday? I've the got the space, and I really need the practice.

Peter Boylan

Meik Skoss
16th November 2000, 05:00
As Pete mentioned, "keijo" is written with a combination of kanji "kei-" from "keisatsu" (police, the 5-0, fuzz, cops, etc.) and "jo" (stick). It's a standard Shinto Muso-ryu style jo: 128 cm. long and about 2 cm. wide, made of either white or red oak (the former is preferred in the Kanto area and the latter seems to have popularity in Kysuhu, at least in some parts).

Also, like Pete, I've never heard of an "ewabo," nor is it listed in Sasama's *Nihon budo jiten*, one of the most highly respected reference works for budo terminology.

Hope this helps.