PDA

View Full Version : Inner Troubles

Carlo Bombonati
24th January 2005, 10:34
Hi, my name is Carlo Bombonati. I am studying Mugai Ryu under Sensei G. Rossato in Padova, Italy.

My problem is that I have some doubts about the seriousness of my teacher.
I don't know if it is a good idea to ask for advice in a public forum but I found no other place.
So, before I explain the situation in detail, is it ok to ask here?

Thanks,

Carlo

ulvulv
24th January 2005, 10:47
I would not do that. if he is legit, asking here may ruin your relation if it comes out, and end your training. Search the boards, find the members with a formal affiliation to Mugai ryu, give them a private message, and share your doubts. You will probably get the answer you need. Ask your teacher who his teacher is/was, that may also help to throw in.

Carlo Bombonati
24th January 2005, 11:14
Thanks for the advice.

Originally posted by ulvulv
Ask your teacher who his teacher is/was, that may also help to throw in.
That is part of the problem ...

urbalte
24th January 2005, 11:28
Honestly, I think the sensei should be more than willing to be upfront about who trained him. From personal experience I've learned that only shady "Sensei" hold back on who taught them. Granted I could be way wrong about this, however my sensei was more than willing to let us know (that and the fact that he has posters of Nakamura Sensei everywhere and pictures of them together all over the place. They were really close before Nakamura Sensei passed. And I believe it's the same for Elder Sensei back in the states from what I've gathers off the US Battodo Federation's websites. Whenever I head back stateside, I already know who is teaching Toyama Ryu, and where they learned it from. 1) Came from doing Homework 2) It came from asking and honesty. So, please in a respectful manner of course, politely ask your sensei who taught him and if he could shed some light on his history. But, again, do it in a respectful manner, as he is still your sensei and does at least deserve that much respect. Good luck, and always remember to look both ways before you cross the street.:smilejapa

Carlo Bombonati
24th January 2005, 11:45
Originally posted by urbalte
So, please in a respectful manner of course, politely ask your sensei who taught him and if he could shed some light on his history. But, again, do it in a respectful manner, as he is still your sensei and does at least deserve that much respect. Good luck, and always remember to look both ways before you cross the street.:smilejapa

Wait, I turned up here as a last resort.
I'm not happy of the situation and I feel guilty to ask of my own sensei to others but if I'm doing this is because I found no other way.
This means that I already asked my sensei.

I don't like to bring this about so I'll follow ulvulv suggestion and I'll ask privately.

Thanks again,

renfield_kuroda
25th January 2005, 06:35
Carlo, I got your PM, thanks.
As far as my connections in Mugairyu in Japan go, I will fairly and honestly attempt to assess his credentials, if any.

Regards,

r e n

renfield_kuroda
26th January 2005, 03:56
For anyone who cares, the sensei in question is:
http://www.geocities.com/Athens/Academy/1528/rossato_ing.htm

Can't comment on his karate, jujitsu, etc. but as far as Mugairyu is concerned, I cannot find any evidence that this person has teaching credentials from any of the Mugairyu lineages that I am aware of .

Regards,

r e n

Andy Watson
26th January 2005, 16:36
Expert of Kendo and Iai-do, with the degree of 3rd dan

This along with lots of other self-appraising quotes on the website makes me wonder how sincere a martial artist this person is.

I hate to begin a slanging session when you have quite blatently expressed a wish not to open this up to the general community but the website looks like something that would normally found in Baffling or Bad Budo. Anything which uses the words "expert" or "master" make me suspicious.

Very best of luck in your quest for truth...

Jock Armstrong
26th January 2005, 23:48
He doesn't mention who his instructors were- that sounds an alarm to me. He got his 9th dan from Peter Urban[?] He doesn't even mention him by name- just American Goju. The Ren-meister says he can't find any record of him in the Mugai ryu lineage- that is a big alarm bell . If he has 'stretched the truth' about one thing, you can be forgiven for having doubts about the others.
As for the English on the site, thats another story.

nicojo
27th January 2005, 01:41

ulvulv
27th January 2005, 09:06
Originally posted by Andy Watson
This along with lots of other self-appraising quotes on the website makes me wonder how sincere a martial artist this person is.

I hate to begin a slanging session when you have quite blatently expressed a wish not to open this up to the general community but the website looks like something that would normally found in Baffling or Bad Budo. Anything which uses the words "expert" or "master" make me suspicious.

Very best of luck in your quest for truth...

Never mess with a "maximum worldwide teacher":p

Carlo Bombonati
28th January 2005, 17:30
I quite confident that he does not make any false claims.
The website was done by one of his students not by him.

Jock Armstrong
29th January 2005, 01:06
Then why are you asking about his credentials in Mugai ryu Carlo? If you are confident he is all he says he is, why ask? Ren has already stated that as far as he can ascertain, your instructor is not listed with the HQ in Japan. Ren knows his stuff- I'd take that as a big warning.
You are able to choose for yourself on the basis of research conducted - do so.

Jock Armstrong
29th January 2005, 01:09
Who would the student have gotten his information from Carlo? Didn't your teacher check the website? That is his responsibility- to make sure information presented about him and his style are factually correct. I don't accept the "a student made it up" theory as an excuse.
You read as an intelligent man. Use your intelligence.

Scott Irey
29th January 2005, 04:34
Carlo,

With Renfield's credentials and connections I think it is fairly safe to assume that if he can not come up with anything to legitimize your instructors claims then there is a a very good chance that your instructor is proabably embellishing the truth just a little bit. You have the right to ask your teacher who his teacher was and what group, branch, or organization he was and is affiliated with. If your teacher won't give you clear answers you should be concerned.

Just my opinion.....

Carlo Bombonati
31st January 2005, 22:28
Ok, I'll try to clear up the situation a bit.

As far as Goju is concerned,
I've seen the certificate in wich Peter Urban gives him the 10th Dan, if I recall correctly the date was August 1982.

As far as Mugai Ryu is concerned,
Here lies the problem. He never claimed any title and he does not have them but he studied Mugai Ryu for a while so now he teaches what he knows. He shouldn't since he has the 3rd Dan in Kendo but he holds no title in any kenjitsu or iaido style.