PDA

View Full Version : Anyone else in okinawa?

znorris
24th January 2005, 14:05
This being my first post ill quickly introduce myself. I have been studying Shorin-Ryu karate for only about 3 years now, i havent been able to spend nearly as much time as i would like with it. Im a Marine and finally worked things to my advantage and have been stationed here in Okinawa (Camp Foster). Im waiting for my Sensei, Jim Thompson, to get back to me on where the dojo he trained in is at. Until then i would just like to know if their are any others that are training here in Okinawa currently or are sometime soon. I will be here for 2 years so I cant wait to start training and get the most out of my time here.

Hope that i can learn from some of you on the board and perhaps contribute where i can.

johnst_nhb
24th January 2005, 16:55
What style of Shorin Ryu do you and Jim Thompson study?

bakaboy
25th January 2005, 08:54
I am currently living and training in Naha (Oroku). PM me if you would like to contact me.

znorris
25th January 2005, 09:40
Originally posted by johnst_nhb
What style of Shorin Ryu do you and Jim Thompson study?

Stebbins Sensei,

Matsumura Kempo. If this is you:
found with google (http://www.karateverein-landstuhl.de/geschichte.html)

Then you and Fred Ettish Sensei look very familur. I went to a seminar in (cant remember exactly) 2002 (?) with Thompson Sensei held by Matt Godsil Sensei In Illinois.

johnst_nhb
25th January 2005, 14:36
Hey Zach,

That is me...I probably worked with you in Moline that year.

Jim and Matt have not been to Okinawa that I know of, but Kuda shinshii' dojo is, of course, there. How long are you over there?

-j

znorris
26th January 2005, 13:57
I will be here for 2 years. Of course some of which i will be making my way around the southeast and even alaska & russia because of deployments, but Its no excuse for not devoteing time to training while im here. Its an oprotunity that must not pass me by.

Ed Gingras
27th January 2005, 13:27
I noticed the picture of Peter Koenig that I took in 1976 at Soken Sensei's home posted on the link to Matsumura Kempo.
Does anyone have Peter's current address.
Thanks
Ed Gingras
Shorin Ryu Matsumura Seito Karate do Hozon Kai
Okinawa, Japan

johnst_nhb
27th January 2005, 15:25
Mr. Gringas,

Email me off line and I can refer you to someone who might be able to help...

-John