PDA

View Full Version : joining koryu in Japan

seskoad
28th January 2005, 11:46
What is the procedure to join/study koryu in Japan? Should the newbie join with recommendation letter from high-level member of its school?

fifthchamber
31st January 2005, 05:05
Hi there.
From my experience it is not necessary but it DOES serve as a more polite way of being introduced. My dojo has a fairly relaxed atmosphere and I don't know about any others..But although I found out later it was not needed, I gave my teacher a letter of introduction from the Tokyo education board here in Musashimurayama. It was not a special letter..Just something to show your sincerity in training...And written by someone in a good position to vouvh for you.
It really does depend on the Dojo and school and sensei that you choose to train with I guess..But it IS best to take one regardless...It helps a lot. And is easy to get...
As far as I know, the more "official" the letter the better, but again, it depends on the teacher...If you CAN get an existing member of the school to recommend you then do so..But it is not a must have..
I would take one.
Yours.

shieldcaster
1st February 2005, 13:03
For me, I sent an e-mail (in English, no less), then got a reply and a meeting with a menkyo kaiden. He chuckled about the letter thing when I met him. It's been great training and learning ever since. I guess it all depends. Not only on the ryuha, but the teacher.

Just out of curiosity, what're you looking to get into?

seskoad
3rd February 2005, 07:46
Originally posted by shieldcaster
For me, I sent an e-mail (in English, no less), then got a reply and a meeting with a menkyo kaiden. He chuckled about the letter thing when I met him. It's been great training and learning ever since. I guess it all depends. Not only on the ryuha, but the teacher.

Just out of curiosity, what're you looking to get into?

Well, long term planning...I want to move to Japan if it's possible. I am planning to do kenjutsu. Currently I am doing goju ryu and MJER iaido. I do like MJER but I found that it lacks pair training and more perfection in techiques. It's good but after I read koryu bujutsu and more yakusoku kumite in goju, I feel something missing in my iaido training.

And which ryu-ha that I am interested in, I have not decided yet. I think any ryu-ha are good and as you said before, it depends on teacher.

Brian Owens
3rd February 2005, 13:17
Originally posted by seskoad
...I do like MJER but I found that it lacks pair training and more perfection in techiques....
You might look into doing MJER in Japan.

MJER does include pair training, the tachiuchi no kurai, but maybe your current dojo doesn't do it for one reason or another.

shieldcaster
4th February 2005, 01:01
Yeah, man, there's MJER coming outta the woodwork over here. Shouldn't be much of a problem hooking up with a place over here to train.

Start out (and I hate doing this to you) looking at koryu.com, and spiral out from there. Use it as a key to check out other websites. There are also a number of guys (including girls) in here who may be able to help you once you have decided on a particular school. Every high school on the big island has a Kendo club, and every sizeabel town has got a BUdokan that typically offers some koryu kenjutsu.

Figure out what you want and then hit us back with some questions. Good luck.

fifthchamber
4th February 2005, 01:12
Hi Matt..
On that subject...(Budokan...Sorry...)...Are you thinking of getting to the Hyogo ken Budokan for the Kobudo enbu on the 13th February this year? I was...But Hyogo is a little out of my way and I can't get the time or money to make it...I guessed that since you were closer you may have wanted to try and get there...If you are could we get pics? Hehe...Just the Takeuchi ryu naturally...JOKE!!
Also, which ryuha did you join then? The Muto ryu? Or something else? I can't remember which ones were near you and there is no mention of anything in the Hiden Budo guide that I had...
Take care mate and let us know.
Yours.
Ben

shieldcaster
4th February 2005, 06:57
Ben,

Unfortunately I have some prior engagements during the Hyogo get together, or I would damn sure go.

As for what I finally decided on studying, it was Kashima Shinryu. Murakami-san of Mutoryu is pushing the envelope of his tenth decade here on earth, so that was a no go. Muto is down in Yokohama now. The local koryu, Nagaoryu is really nice, and I have had more than one invite from the soke, but I had already giving the thumbs up to KSSR when I heard back from the Nagao crew. I have been doing a bit of Judo here at my school, though, just to pass the time more than anything else.

I still owe you guys the pics from the Nagaoryu thing last Autumn...I'll be sure to get on that soon.

Take care.

Mekugi
4th February 2005, 07:41
Ask for Kengaku (to watch training).
Then, go from there.

Originally posted by seskoad
What is the procedure to join/study koryu in Japan? Should the newbie join with recommendation letter from high-level member of its school?

glad2bhere
4th February 2005, 14:49
Please understand that I do not pretend to know anything about Japanese culture, but I thought that I would share something from my own experience that came forward when this string was posted.

I recently had the privelege of training in Korea under Kim, Yun Sang in Guemsan, Korea this last September. It was a life-changing event for me and a hopefully one of what I pray will be a string of experiences in the coming years. I am presently a member of the Yong Sul Kwan and am proud to say that I can present myself as a member of a circle of fine practitioners and gentlemen. I am NOT saying that I could not have had this experience by simply walking into the Guemsan dochang off the street and introducing myself. Knowing these folks and Kim Dojunim as I do now I have no reason to believe that they would not have recieved me warmly and hospitably. What I AM saying is that I took the time to work through a fine gentleman, Barrie Restall, from Australia and Jarrod Taylor, also of Australia to be introduced and allow time for Dojunim Kim to be advised of my interest and to consider me as a student. When I was presented for consideration I brought will me a small gift for Dojunim Kim and for his students, left my BB in the States and put on my white belt both physically and mentally. Now I am sure some folks reading this would consider my behavior a quaint affectation or role-play and it is not as though anyone asked me to behave in this manner. But though nothing was said of it, I have this vague sense that it only helped my experience and did nothing to hurt it. If I had a suggestion to make regarding a desire to train in Japanese culture (again others can speak with more authority than I) my guess would be to err on the side of being "too deferential", approach through an intermediary and allow the folks whom you are approaching to be magnanimous in identifying to you what you need or need not be concerned with.Again, I can't say it won't help and it certainly won't hurt, yes? Hope this makes sense.

Best Wishes,

Bruce

seskoad
5th February 2005, 21:17
Originally posted by Brian Owens
You might look into doing MJER in Japan.

MJER does include pair training, the tachiuchi no kurai, but maybe your current dojo doesn't do it for one reason or another.

Interesting...we did like bunkai kata to show what's the meaning of the waza. But not pair techniques like yakusoku kumite which got nothing to do with the waza.

Next question: Is there any different to study under a qualified (certified) instructor who has 5-15 years study in Japan than study particular ryu in Japan?

shieldcaster
14th June 2005, 15:22
Man, aside from a few (and far between) instructors in the States, I would say that you are not going to get the same experience as studying here in Japan. Not that the calibre of training is any better or worse, it is just different. I think that any of the old guys on here would tell you the same--but I could be wrong. Maybe.

YagyuJubei
26th June 2005, 16:57
Murakami-san of Mutoryu is pushing the envelope of his tenth decade here on earth, so that was a no go. Muto is down in Yokohama now.

Hello,

Do you mean Dr. Murakami is pass away already? Do you know the name of new soke, and does he live in yokohama?

shieldcaster
27th June 2005, 02:18
I honestly do not know if he has passed away or not. I haven't had any contact with him for several months, so it is entirely possible. I also do not know the name of the new soke, it never stuck since Yokohama is too far for me to travel to study. I do not know if the new soke lives in Yokohama, but I do know that the training is conducted there.

Good luck.