PDA

View Full Version : A Shinkendo question

Dokuganryuu
15th November 2000, 23:33
After reading through the Shinkendo book, I was wondering how many sets of kata there are. Thanks, Nathan. :)

Nathan Scott
16th November 2000, 00:36
How did you know I was going to reply? :D

Our series of kata we call "tanrengata" (solo forms designed to forge a strong foundation).

We currently have ten kata. They are split in half, first level and second level (not exact terminology, but that's the feeling). Each one emphasizes certain principles and movements. The last kata is a culmination of the other 9 kata in application of movements.

The kata themselves can be performed at several different levels of skill as well. In the most basic case we perform the kata movement by movement to a count. Then, at the students comfortable speed without count. And finally, the kata can be performed fluidly and gracefully once the student has become fully comfortable with the kata.

Some of the kata can be performed as multiple-target tameshigiri, as can all of our battoho, but we typically have a few forms we use for learning and testing our ability to actually cut (tameshigiri).

Regards,

Dokuganryuu
16th November 2000, 00:40
Thanks! I found the book to be good reading material, as well as a good glimpse of Shinkendo. I still hope to one day meet you and Soke Obata as a student at the honbu. Do you think Soke Obata would sign my "Shinkendo" and "Crimson Steel" books? :D

Nathan Scott
16th November 2000, 00:49
Thanks! I found the book to be good reading material, as well as a good glimpse of Shinkendo.

Great, I'm glad to hear that. I have a list of little annoyances I'd love to clean up if we get around to a second edition. So far we've gotten favorable response to the book, which is a relief. Self publishing is no picnic.

I still hope to one day meet you and Soke Obata as a student at the honbu. Do you think Soke Obata would sign my "Shinkendo" and "Crimson Steel" books?

You mean "meet Soke Obata and you", right? He's alot more interesting than I am! :D

We'd love to have you come by the dojo. I'm sure Obata Soke would be happy to sign your books. Just let me know when know a date you'd like to visit.

Regards,