PDA

View Full Version : Motivation

Markaso
31st January 2005, 07:04
Self motivation for many that have been practicing for a long time is not a difficult thing, I feel.

What is your motivation to go to practice ( as a student )?

What is your motivation to teach?

hedkikr
1st February 2005, 20:52
As I've aged, there are times I feel too tired to train but rather than depend on motivation, I just make myself "do it because it must be done". Usually, after warming-up, I'm in a better frame of mind & I begin to feel in tune w/ MA. That's what I believe the core to MA training is...do it because it must be done. This translates in all walks of life. We can't depend on doing things only when we feel like it or feel motivated. Often one must search for motivation (no longer competing? now what?) Chasing rank might be OK for kids who need more frequent reinforcement but adults should search deeper. If this is done, MA becomes alive & not robotic. There's no way I can count the number of times I've done basics (punch, block, kick) but I always try to better the technique, balance, speed etc. Be creative in footwork, timing & distance training & you discover new things to perfect as you train.

IMHO

Trevor Johnson
2nd February 2005, 22:08
I've got a list:
1. Violence. I grew up in New York City, and was the subject of a fair bit of it. I don't suffer from a wish for revenge, I just want to be able to handle violence more safely and gracefully when it comes 'round again.
2. I love the feeling when something finally snaps together. I've done techniques where I was straining the whole way and techniques where I managed to move with my opponent so that, even when I hit him, it didn't feel like I'd really done anything. When you can do a technique so that there's little or no backlash of force into your own body, even/especially a punch or kick, it feels wonderful!
3. The "doing it even when you're completely down" comes into it a lot too.
4. Few better ways to learn to pay attention to detail, but let go of it when necessary.
5. I could go on, but I won't.

gmanry
12th February 2005, 09:11
My current motivation is to be in enough shape to prevail against some 18 to 20 something that I will have to fight in about three weeks at a local boxing event. I am 35. That keeps me very motivated right now.

Most of the time it is so that my students can learn from an adequate example. I feel the responsibility to walk the walk as much as possible, so I stay up on my training as best I can.

Lately, though, it has come from a sense of self-preservation. :D

Dillon
12th February 2005, 19:42
Tsune.

Smart Alex
12th February 2005, 20:27
For me it is simple: To Be better than myself.

Chrono
13th February 2005, 01:35
Sometimes, my main motivation, especially those days which I don't feel like training, but those days are very rare, is just to see my friends there. During this semester at school I have an evening class on the busiest days of our class so I haven't seen most of my friends there for over a month now.

Markaso
19th February 2005, 14:38
Mine ....... to train that is ........well I guess it is one of the easiest and that is to learn and because I love to be taught! Maybe I missed something the first time around ......... Yep, and the training goes on!

To teach .......... is to train ....... but it is nice to see a student actually grasp something. To pass on some of what I learned and felt ....... to give as I was given too....... but receiving what I was given was a lot of hard work.... that's for sure!!!!

mech
20th February 2005, 01:15
Ahh, AGE... thats precisely one of the most beatiful and powerful motivations for martial arts.

The inevitable cycle that ends in the final desintegration of our bodies, this is to work with less and less resources and keep obtaining bests results concerning fullfillment spirit, development and performance.

Exactly, this is the real fight to maintain /prepare system for to confront the inevitable, and constitutes the maximus effort a single mortal man can do... day by day acumulates big wealth and that sort of satisfaction, that comes along with optime decisions maked.

Mech
Caracas, Venezuela

"Put here whatever you want... nothing have changed at all"
S.K.

seskoad
20th February 2005, 03:01
My motivation of learning is because I love the art