PDA

View Full Version : I'm sick again!

Kawakami Gensai
31st January 2005, 19:02
And also very angry (if you could not tell from my vicious message icon)! I started a workout schedule a couple of weeks ago and have been sticking to it religiously. I've only missed a day so far (not including today) yet that seems to upset me and my obsessive regularity. I've also missed school today, which is really ticking me off. I am going to have SO much work to make up :mad: . Wow. Sorry for wasting your time. But if anyone has any advice to help me out, it's welcome. Thanks for your time anyway :D

The Nephilim
31st January 2005, 22:58
Vitamin C, orange juice and 2 asprin disolved, warmed up and drunk. 2 times a day until you feel better.

If not, Whiskey, nutmeg, cinnamon in black coffee or some Brandy. Go to bed with your clothes on and sweat it out.

If that fails, go to a doctor and moan at him for antibiotics.

MikeWilliams
31st January 2005, 23:52
Lots of rest, lots of fluids, take it easy when you get back to training, and try not to get frustrated - it will slow your recovery.

I've been ill a lot this January. I reckon it's because I paid for a month's unlimited training: the law of sod at work.

Chrono
1st February 2005, 03:13
Originally posted by The Nephilim
Vitamin C, orange juice and 2 asprin disolved, warmed up and drunk. 2 times a day until you feel better.

If not, Whiskey, nutmeg, cinnamon in black coffee or some Brandy. Go to bed with your clothes on and sweat it out.

If that fails, go to a doctor and moan at him for antibiotics.

Now, Will, whatever works for you won't necessarily work for all of us. :p

Brian Owens
1st February 2005, 05:21
If you take huge quanities of Vitamin C, don't do it for too long. An overly acidic system can, over time, lead to myriad health problems.

After a few days, or up to a week, when you quit mega-dosing don't stop all at once or you can get "rebound scurvy" because your body will have become very efficient at excreting the high levels of C.

Instead, taper off gradually.

Since your post's header is "Sick Again," I also suggest looking at your sleep, exercise, and dietary habits to find out why you keep getting sick. Some adjustments may be in order.

Depending on where you live, a visit to a naturopathic physician, nutritionist, and/or other "prevention oriented" professional might be worthwhile.

Also: wash your hands often throughout the day, with plain soap and water (antiseptic soaps can actually create "super germs" over time); avoid crowds during cold and flu season; and get lots of fresh air in your house.

HTH.

ninjaboyelroy
1st February 2005, 14:17
Over the past year I have made a concerted effort to keep my filthy fingers out of my eyes. No scratching, rubbing or any other kind of direct contact betweeen my finger/hand and my eyeball.

I can happily report that it seems to be working as I have gone the longest in years without a cold or flu.

Doug Kenny

Kawakami Gensai
1st February 2005, 14:45
All right, second day. Missed more work...oh well. Thanks A LOT for all of your advice. Although I only have access to Centrum vitamins, it was all very helpful :)

I can't wait to get back into training...although I'm missing karate tonight
:(

I wash my hands all the time before eating or putting in my ear plugs (when playing with my drummer).

I like using the enter key.

The worst thing is missing my classes...I am only a high school freshman but there's a LOT of work I have to make up...

I am going to hope that no one else here will catch a cold or any annoying disease of that sort. I can't think of anything else to say.

The Nephilim
1st February 2005, 16:12
Originally posted by Chrono
Now, Will, whatever works for you won't necessarily work for all of us. :p

Your just saying that as you can not legally drink :D

My other advice is to eat fruit and veggies. More better than popping pills that are in effect limited in mutivitamins.

Any multivitamin tablet is only a percentage of what you actually need. So getting hold of vitamin C from a multivitamin is as useful as the Iraqi defence force in the Gulf War. So go out, buy a bag of oranges and eat 2 a day. The 5 fruit and veg a day is great to keep the immune system topped up as well as your own health.

Chrono
1st February 2005, 17:45
Your just saying that as you can not legally drink :D

I can get legally drunk, I just can't legally drink. ;)

Brian Owens
2nd February 2005, 04:38
Originally posted by Kawakami Gensai
...Although I only have access to Centrum vitamins, it was all very helpful :)

Centrum is good -- I take Centrum Silver every day myself.

But...do NOT take more than one per day. Unlike a Vitamin C tablet -- which contains only a single, water soluable vitamin -- Centrum, like other multi-vitamins, contains both water-soluable and fat-soluable vitamins in carefully balanced proportions.

Megadosing on most vitamins without the advice of a doctor is dangerous, as some vitamins can be toxic, especially to the liver.

Chrono
2nd February 2005, 04:48
Originally posted by Brian Owens
Centrum is good -- I take Centrum Silver every day myself.

Well, that shows your age. ;)

Brian Owens
2nd February 2005, 05:05
Well, that shows your age. ;)

10 months shy of a half-century -- and proud of it.

Chrono
2nd February 2005, 05:10
Originally posted by Brian Owens
10 months shy of a half-century -- and proud of it.

I'm four months shy of legal drinking age.

Chrono
2nd February 2005, 06:03
I'm 20% of a century old, but since the average expectancy is around 75, I'm a bit over 26%, soon to be 28%. That will be a 7.7% percentage growth.

I hope I got my calculations correct.

The Nephilim
2nd February 2005, 07:31
I'm four months shy of legal drinking age.

...And may God have mercy on Edgefield when that happens. :D

Chrono
2nd February 2005, 15:40
...And may God have mercy on Edgefield when that happens. :D

They already got the warnings out.

monkeyboy_ssj
2nd February 2005, 17:00
Or you could come over to England where you would be over 3 years late to drink :D

Hell, I was down pubs drinking and playing in bands when I was 14.

The Nephilim
2nd February 2005, 20:55
Originally posted by monkeyboy_ssj
Or you could come over to England where you would be over 3 years late to drink :D

Hell, I was down pubs drinking and playing in bands when I was 14.

I first got drunk at the age of 9 :p

Kaoru
3rd February 2005, 05:00
Hi Kawakami-san,

I just found this thread. I hope you feel better soon! :)

Friday
3rd February 2005, 15:53
If it's posted anywhere else in the thread, I missed it, so sorry if I'm repeating any one elses suggestion.
I know an lot of people who swear by Cod Liver Oil if you take it on a regular basis. I tried it myself last winter and I got through it reletivly illness free, which is saying something seeing as how I'm a smoker and would usually get struck by every cold and flu bug going.

Halibut oil (sp?) doesn't need to be taken as often but I don't know anyone who uses it so I've never received any feedback

Chrono
3rd February 2005, 18:19
Originally posted by Friday
If it's posted anywhere else in the thread, I missed it, so sorry if I'm repeating any one elses suggestion.
I know an lot of people who swear by Cod Liver Oil if you take it on a regular basis. I tried it myself last winter and I got through it reletivly illness free, which is saying something seeing as how I'm a smoker and would usually get struck by every cold and flu bug going.

I've heard about that, too. Albeit, I haven't tried it. If g = grams, then I ususally take 1 <= g <= 3 a day.