PDA

View Full Version : Shindo Muso Ryu KORYU forms

Amphipolis
6th February 2005, 17:44
Need infos (book, video recommended) about koryu kata of Shindo Muso Ryu not seitei...

Thanks. ;)

A. Bakken
7th February 2005, 06:17
Pascal Krieger's Jodo: The Way of the Stick is the best English-language book on SMR Jodo. Other than that, there's Jodo Kyohan (in Japanese), which you can get from www.budogu.com (http://www.budogu.com). Not much more that I'm aware of.

Tony Peters
7th February 2005, 10:32
you can only find them in Japan Peter Boylan and the above listed site gets them in on ocassion and more important he does an Index

Mekugi
8th February 2005, 02:48
Krieger sensei does not usually sell his book publically anymore.

dsomers
8th February 2005, 03:31
Here you go :
http://search.ebay.com/jodo_W0QQfkrZ1QQfromZR8

charlesl
8th February 2005, 07:46
Originally posted by dsomers
Here you go :
http://search.ebay.com/jodo_W0QQfkrZ1QQfromZR8

I don't think think that's what they're looking for. That version, written by Michael Finn, is a short overview of the ZKR (?) "standard" kata. Or at least that was my understanding from reading it. P. Krieger's book is significantly more in depth, and in terms of technique covers kihon, omote, chudan, and ranai.

Mind you, that's how it seemed to a guy who doesn't know much, and could very well be wrong.

Amphipolis
8th February 2005, 07:57
I already have mr. Finn's book.
It's about SEITEI kata only... :(

Mekugi
8th February 2005, 08:17
I believe that Mr. Finn's book is an interpretation of the Zen Nihon Kendo Renmei (ZenKenRen or ZNKR) seiteigata, too.

Originally posted by charlesl
I don't think think that's what they're looking for. That version, written by Michael Finn, is a short overview of the ZKR (?) "standard" kata.

dsomers
8th February 2005, 12:08
I guess Charles , & the rest of you didnt follow the link . Yes , there is Mr.Finn's book there , but there is also Shinto Muso Ryu Jojutsu Jutsugiron vol. 1 & 2 videos there , which contain all of the Shinto Muso Ryu Kata there , not just the Seitei Gata , if you looked .

Andy Watson
8th February 2005, 13:40
Be aware that the Jodo book by Shimizu Takaji or his descendants (including Kaminoda) will be the Kanto style of SMR i.e. slightly simplified from the Fukuoka style.

Anything by Matsui Kenji will be closer to Fukuoka style.

Anything by Michael Finn will be of a questionable style.

Happy hunting.

Mekugi
8th February 2005, 15:20
Originally posted by Andy Watson
Anything by Matsui Kenji will be closer to Fukuoka style.

Isn't Matsui Kenji in Tsunemori Kaminoda's group the Nihon Jodokai in Tokyo, up in Kanto?????

charlesl
8th February 2005, 16:42
Originally posted by dsomers
I guess Charles , & the rest of you didnt follow the link . Yes , there is Mr.Finn's book there , but there is also Shinto Muso Ryu Jojutsu Jutsugiron vol. 1 & 2 videos there , which contain all of the Shinto Muso Ryu Kata there , not just the Seitei Gata , if you looked .

Oops, sorry, I did follow the follow the link, and saw both the Finn book and the tapes, but made the connection between the earlier references to P. Krieger's book and your link.

My inlaws bought me those tapes. The production was really good, and I liked the way they presented pretty much everything. My unqualified opinion was that they were high quality.

George Kohler
8th February 2005, 18:01
Originally posted by Andy Watson
Be aware that the Jodo book by Shimizu Takaji or his descendants (including Kaminoda) will be the Kanto style of SMR i.e. slightly simplified from the Fukuoka style.

I don't know too much about SMR, but I always thought Shimizu Takaji was senior student of Shiraishi. Shiraishi passed away in March 1, 1927. That is the same year that Shimizu moved to Tokyo. Wouldn't that make his the senior branch?

Also, If I remember correctly, Uchida Ryogoro went to Tokyo to teach SMR back in 1872. So, are there two Kanto branches?