PDA

View Full Version : Help!!!I am an ebay addict

seskoad
8th February 2005, 07:06
It's been 2 years that I've been member of ebay. I became ebay addict as my friend told me. Some stuff are junks and some are valuable. But lately, I almost never buy junks or counterfeit items anymore. After a year of purchasing (sometimes selling), I became picky in choosing item and carefully assess the seller. Problem is I never save money anymore and most of my stuff now are from ebay.

It's amazed me that ebay is only 5 years old. Can you imagine that this website will be this big 5 years back? Not me. I knew ebay coz my friend sell scooter in ebay. He hunts old junk scooter (piaggio) and modified it plus install a side car only get initial cost about US$500-1000 and sold it up to $3000-5000/unit. He even have customer came from US to just visit him.

yeah...that's a good side of ebay. Apart from that, I'd better find curement of my addiction. I spend at least US$200/month and 4 hours/day in front of my PC. :eek:

Shitoryu Dude
8th February 2005, 14:33
Do you have an eBay line of credit, or is that just me?

I've saved thousands on eBay and shop online for just about anything.

:beer:

seskoad
8th February 2005, 15:27
I know....it is a lot saving buying from ebay for particular stuff. My method is by checking the price in real store then check in ebay. But problem is when I browse and found something else interesting with cheaper price than real-brick store then I want to buy everything. That's the real problem to me

Shitoryu Dude
8th February 2005, 18:05
Most of my eBay addiction is;

1) gemstones
2) cookware
3) sporting equipment

Chrono
8th February 2005, 19:54
Originally posted by Shitoryu Dude
1) gemstones

What kind do you get? Are they faceted or anything?

Shitoryu Dude
8th February 2005, 20:18
I always get faceted gemstones as I don't have the training or tools to cut them myself.

I go for either lab or natural gems, typically spinels or obscure stones that have a lower demand. You can find some awesome stones for nearly nothing because they don't have the cachet of "precious" gems. Some of my better finds have been erinites, kunzites, heliodors, blue zircon, mawsitsit, fire opal, and a variety of fancy color spinels. Lab created stones (mainly sapphire and emerald) are just so cheap that most of the time I buy them as needed from gem wholesalers when I have a project in mind.

If you are looking for Tanzanites, then be prepared to fork over major $$$ no matter who you are buying from. If it is a "bargain" you are either buying a fake or a crap stone. Diamonds are also available wholesale.

Also, if you are buying blue spinels of such mind-blowing color that you can't believe it, most of the time they are lab created. If not then expect to fork over serious $$$.

Ramirez
8th February 2005, 20:34
What do you do with the gemstones Harve? Just collect or do you make jewellery.

As for cookware -I am looking for one of those Japanese chef's knives - A Misono if possible.

Sports equipment -mostly I get fitness gear.

Chrono
8th February 2005, 20:44
I always get faceted gemstones as I don't have the training or tools to cut them myself.

I bought a few stones from a local gem show about a year ago (it's almost time to go back again) and I've been wanting to put them in a necklace, but I've been unable to find anybody to do it. I've thought about doing it myself, however.

Originally posted by Ramirez
As for cookware -I am looking for one of those Japanese chef's knives - A Misono if possible.

You could always go Ginsu.

Ramirez
8th February 2005, 20:46
LOL- Ginsu - you mean the one in those cheesy commercials - no thanks.

Chrono
8th February 2005, 20:51
Originally posted by Ramirez
LOL- Ginsu - you mean the one in those cheesy commercials - no thanks.

Well, speaking of Japanese cookware, I've been looking for a nice set of chopsticks. Of course, I need to learn how to use them.

Shitoryu Dude
8th February 2005, 21:41
For me the gemstones end up jewelry for either myself, my wife, or for relatives. That requires a jeweler, not just a jewelry store.

The last knives I bought were Wusthoff brand santoku chef knives. Got them for about 1/2 price.

seskoad
8th February 2005, 23:13
My interest in the first year of ebay:

- western shirt ---> now I have 10+ shirts and I have not wore some of them

- western buckle--->I got about 5 buckles

- western boots---> 5 boots now, the search is too long to get affordable price

- vintage t-shirt---> harley shirt, band shirt, now I got about 20-25 shirts and don't have chance to try them all

- junks----> a lot....some goes to donation and some was re-sold in ebay

now:

- mostly authentic diesel jeans--->the jeans's price in US is half of the price in OZ...5 jeans since new year 2005

Chrono
9th February 2005, 00:13
For me the gemstones end up jewelry for either myself, my wife, or for relatives. That requires a jeweler, not just a jewelry store.

Do you have somebody who does it for you?

Shitoryu Dude
9th February 2005, 00:20
Sure - custom jewelry is the only way to go. Costs less than the big chain stores as well.

Chrono
9th February 2005, 03:21
Sure - custom jewelry is the only way to go. Costs less than the big chain stores as well.

My dad got me a rock tumbling kit which includes some jewelry stuff. Hopefully, I'll have some time soon to play with it.

Shitoryu Dude
9th February 2005, 03:38
You can buy some settings for calibrated sized stones if you buy the standard sized stuff. If you really want to get into it and make your own jewelry you'll need to go to school.

Chrono
9th February 2005, 03:53
You can buy some settings for calibrated sized stones if you buy the standard sized stuff. If you really want to get into it and make your own jewelry you'll need to go to school.

I probably won't be that interested in it.

Ramirez
9th February 2005, 13:36
Hey Harve - yeah Wusthofs are the best of the big name European manufacturers in my opinion.

If you ever want to upgrade your chef's knives, or even just get another one, consider these Japanese ones.

http://www.foodieforums.com/gyutoreview.htm

Cheers

Shitoryu Dude
9th February 2005, 14:46
Every now and then I start toying with the idea of $600 chef knives, then remind myself I need other toys as well....

Chrono
9th February 2005, 16:05
Every now and then I start toying with the idea of $600 chef knives, then remind myself I need other toys as well....

Other toys, of course. I couldn't imagine spending that much on knives. Unless they actually did the cooking, then I might consider it.

Ramirez
9th February 2005, 17:49
You don't have to spend that much - just get yourself one good Wusthof for around $100.00, it will make your cooking far more enjoyable.

PwarYuex
13th February 2005, 02:43
Originally posted by seskoad
My interest in the first year of ebay:

- western shirt ---> now I have 10+ shirts and I have not wore some of them

- western buckle--->I got about 5 buckles

- western boots---> 5 boots now, the search is too long to get affordable price

- vintage t-shirt---> harley shirt, band shirt, now I got about 20-25 shirts and don't have chance to try them all

- junks----> a lot....some goes to donation and some was re-sold in ebay

now:

- mostly authentic diesel jeans--->the jeans's price in US is half of the price in OZ...5 jeans since new year 2005

haha- like me.

Clothing is the only stuff I actually buy off ebay, but I spend a LOT of time just looking around and wishing

Chrono
13th February 2005, 03:02
Y'all should check out www.thinkgeek.com
They got some interesting stuff there.

Shitoryu Dude
13th February 2005, 05:13
One of the good things about eBay is that some of the larger specialty retailers have discovered it.

While looking for scuba equipment I discovered DiveUS had an eBay store. Better bargains on a BCD/Regulator combo than I can get in town. I need to upgrade a component of two on their standard offering, but I doubt it will be an issue. This stuff isn't up for auction, it all comes with a flat "but it now" price.