PDA

View Full Version : Wrist injuries

Gavin Gunavardhana
16th November 2000, 20:28
I'm hoping that someone has some idea about wrist injuries. I think I probably injured my wrist in class after a session on wrist locks. Both wrists ached a bit the next day but after a week or so, the left wrist really got sore. (I also write and use the mouse on my PC with my left-hand.)

The discomfort is mainly below the thumb and on the inside of the wrist (I haven't had any trouble with pain in fingers or forearm.) It is worst when I exert a pull on the wrist (ie if lifting a heavy case or commencing a lat-pulldown in the gym) and when I bend it backwards (ie standard push up position.)

This normally wouldn't bother me but the pain has been around for 4 or 5 weeks now. I got a sports wrist support (basically a velcro strap) and I have applied Tiger Balm and anti-inflammatory gel without much effect. I think I am going to have to miss training tomorrow again because of it so I just want to get it cleared up.

Any ideas of how I can treat this?

Thanks in advance

Gavin

Jerry O'Brien
17th November 2000, 00:45
Originally posted by Gavin Gunavardhana

The discomfort is mainly below the thumb and on the inside of the wrist (I haven't had any trouble with pain in fingers or forearm.) It is worst when I exert a pull on the wrist (ie if lifting a heavy case or commencing a lat-pulldown in the gym) and when I bend it backwards (ie standard push up position.)

Gavin

Hi Gavin:

Sounds like you may have "Gamekeepers thumb" The name originates from from Scottish gamekeepers and is a chronic injury to the ulnar collateral ligament resulting in laxity and instability of the thumb. Mechanism of injury usually is a fall onto an outstretched hand with the thumb in abduction. This injury often occurs while holding a ski pole.

If not diagnosed and treated properly, laxity of the ligament may result in persistent pain or a weak grasp. Injuries may require imobilization or operative fixation and should be best evaluated by an orthopedic surgeon or a hand surgeon to ensure timely repair.

Hope this helps and good luck.

Gerald M. O'Brien, MD