PDA

View Full Version : Kenjitsu

Benaido
15th February 2005, 14:01
Im not sure what style of Kenjitsu Rush is trained in, as he didnt give that information on the forum.

I have been trained in swordmanship by my Sifu (chinese). What I have been trained in, and now teach, is more the art of sword fighting, rather than a stylized love-affair with the sword. It is neither the stereotypical chinese or japanese way of swordmanship, but rather the best way of using a single or dual handed one-edged sword (the best of which in history being the Japanese Katana, and hence was adopted). If you are ever in the area of Brisbane look me up or come to the free sword lessons I run at the city Botanical Gardens and Ill speak at length about the sword :)

Jock Armstrong
21st February 2005, 01:19
So you use a katana freestyle then. Is the weapon you use a live blade or an iaito [blunt training sword] ?

Benaido
21st February 2005, 06:34
Bokken at first, then moving onto blunt (not iai aka alloy, forged or folded) then live blade finally. I wouldnt call it exactly freestyle, but if thats the way that helps you visualize it, then so be it :)

Equipment is as follows:

Drawing Bokken
Heavy Bokken (Daito)
Combat Bokken
Katana

Jock Armstrong
21st February 2005, 12:12
How could it not be freestyle? If you aren't doing what was taught viv a vis a Japanese system then it has to be by definition your own interpretation and therefore freestyle. Don't get me wrong, I'm not against freestyle. One of the biggest exports from Japan in the middle ages was swords to China. Chinese warriors weren't coached in Japanese kenjutsu Ryu but were able to use the weapons effectively. From what I've seen, the big Chinese sabre utilises the same concepts as kenjutsu- correct grip, leads to correct cutting angle, leads to effective use of sharp implement. If you are not freestyle, what are you? Do you utilise Chinese style kata [darn dao]?

Jock Armstrong
21st February 2005, 12:24
Ben, before you embarrass yourself thru terminology;

Theres no such thing as a "combat bokken" A bokken is by definition a training tool.
A heavy bokken is generally termed a "suburito" [practice sword]
A "daito " usually means a large sword, katana, dai katana or tachi, as in a live blade. I've not heard it used to describe any of the wooden training weapons

An "iaito" is a sword, fitted out just like a live blade, only that the blade itself is not sharp and usually made from an alloy. Usually it is balanced specifically for use by students of JSA.

You said you use a drawing bokken. How do you draw it and how do you wear it? Usually in the JSA the sword is worn thru an "obi" or sash, cutting edge up.