PDA

View Full Version : Legitimate Ninjas?

Smart Alex
19th February 2005, 22:01
Forgive an uneducated fellow here, but are there any legitimate nija schools around, and if so how does one get intouch with them.

In my own searching I have found mostly a bunch of B.S. artists who have either watched too many movies or are teaching Kenpo but are calling it ninja in an attempt to capitalize on people's ignorance.

Any help in discovering legitmate ninja arts would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you

choombatta
19th February 2005, 22:28
Follow the links under question 4 in the FAQ.

http://www.e-budo.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?s=&threadid=17852

El Guapo-san
19th February 2005, 22:57
Bujinkan (your mileage may vary), Jinenkan, Genbukan.... Most of what is taught is, well, not what you would think of as ninja or such things. It's a bit more esoteric.

J. Vlach

kennin
20th February 2005, 01:31
Esoterics? At our dōjō and most of the others I know, we don't do any esoterics... We just train with a lot of fun... that's it.

But you are right about the Ninjerstuff... most of us have grown too old to care about that :)

BudoGrrl
21st February 2005, 19:41
Originally posted by El Guapo-san
Bujinkan (your mileage may vary), Jinenkan, Genbukan.... Most of what is taught is, well, not what you would think of as ninja or such things. It's a bit more esoteric.

What about Toshindo? Would that be coupled with Bujinkan?

Alex Schellinger

togakure
21st February 2005, 23:41
Originally posted by BudoGrrl
What about Toshindo? Would that be coupled with Bujinkan?

Alex Schellinger

I'm not sure if there's any "official" word on whether it is with the Bujinkan or not, but I'm sure it could be included in the same schools. I have no experience with Toshindo myself, however, so if it varies dramatically they may not put it on similar terms to the Bujinkan.

Evan London
22nd February 2005, 14:25
Jinenkan Dojo-cho Peter Steves has a dojo in L.A. Check out his web site at http://www.jinenkan-la.com/.

Ev

GyokkoRyuDeshi
22nd February 2005, 18:21
Coincidentally, Sensei Peter is conducting a seminar this weekend (Feb. 26-27) covering the Togakure Ryu (authentic Ninja lineage)"unarmed" Ninpo taijutsu. I wouldn't miss this one for the world...

Syke
22nd February 2005, 23:29
well im not sure how far you live from LA, or if LA is just a general term, cuz i dont live in the city of LA, but i still have it as my city cuz, MY city is probably not known very well... Huntington Park.

..............Anyways!
sorry bout that. back to the topic.

here is a list of a few schools from Bujinkan and Genbukan for LA Co.

Bujinkan Dojos CA (http://www.ninjutsu.com/dojos-links.shtml#California)

Genbukan Dojos CA (http://www.genbukan.org/cgi-bin/site.pl?1711&seq=3&cxDatabase_databaseID=1&newSearch=1&state=CA&sortBy=sort%2Cname)

these are definitely legit.
well hopes this helps you.

DWeidman
23rd February 2005, 08:04
It looks like you (or your store) are around North Hollywood. Is that the area you are looking in?

Your store looks to be about 3 mins from me...

-Daniel Weidman
North Hollywood / Burbank

Smart Alex
23rd February 2005, 18:18
I and my store are in North hollywood. I was looking for anywhere in the greater Los Angeles area actually. but closer is always nicer.
If you are so close you should come by and visit some time. Always happy to meat a fellow enthusiast.

Smart Alex
23rd February 2005, 18:22
Does anyone know anything about a Sensei Chadwick Minge or a Shidoshi Steve Williams. I have heard that they are local and supposedly teach ninjitsu. Any info on these guys would be appreciated.

Thanks.

DWeidman
23rd February 2005, 18:34
Originally posted by Smart Alex
I and my store are in North hollywood. I was looking for anywhere in the greater Los Angeles area actually. but closer is always nicer.
If you are so close you should come by and visit some time. Always happy to meat a fellow enthusiast.

You can check my credentials out here on E-Budo... :-)

As to Chadwick and Steve - I haven't heard of them yet. I am looking them up as I type this...

-Daniel Weidman

kennin
23rd February 2005, 19:29
Originally posted by DWeidman
You can check my credentials out here on E-Budo... :-)

@ Smart Alex:

I wouldn't trust this Daniel guy! He'll throw you around and smack you on several painful spots all the time!

Oh wait a minute... that's the general idea of martial arts... ;)

No seriously: as far as I can see: check Daniel out, I doubt you'll be disapointed!

Smart Alex
23rd February 2005, 23:58
Thank you all very much.
Any further info will always be appreciated.

Dale Seago
24th February 2005, 00:37
Originally posted by kennin
No seriously: as far as I can see: check Daniel out, I doubt you'll be disapointed!

Smart Alex, I've trained with him -- known him for several years. You won't be disappointed.

He'll throw you around and smack you on several painful spots all the time!

Well, yes.

He will do that. Guaranteed.

But probably not on the first date. :p

Kwan Gong
24th February 2005, 16:05
David,

If you'd like, you can come check us out in the North Hollywood area. I train with Tim Brown at Muzosa-LA:

http://www.muzosa-la.com

Tim's a 7th Dan and trained under Larry Turner. Very cool, low key, powerful sorta guy. We don't do "ninja" in the stereotypical sense, but the emphasis in out training is on taijutsu, proper body mechanics, good movement and tactics, etc. You can also see Dan toss us newbies around for fun :)

Onmitsu
27th May 2005, 16:33
"Does anyone know anything about a Sensei Chadwick Minge or a Shidoshi Steve Williams. I have heard that they are local and supposedly teach ninjitsu. Any info on these guys would be appreciated."

I trained with Sensei Chadwick Minge until just after he left the Genbukan.
I saw his test for Renshi and heard Tanemura sensei said that he was at a true master level. I haven't kept up with what his school has been doing since he broke away in 95'.