PDA

View Full Version : Brand of Tabi BootsFalling apart.

jonesnin
17th November 2000, 04:06
Hi,

Just want to let everyone looking to purchase Tabi Boots to beware of Tabi produced by Wacoku which are made in Taiwan. Our Dojo has been experiencing a serious deterioration of the boots. The sole is peeling off of them at the toe and heel, even though they have not had any hard use put into them. The rest of the boot is holding up well though.

I suspect it is because the sole is not sewn to the rest of the boot. They are attached with an adhesive, which pulls apart.

I don't want any lawsuits, but I just though everyone should be careful of what they are buying.

Let me know if anyone is aware of any tabi on the market that are still sewn. I haven't seen any sewn tabi for sale in about 6-7 years.

George Russell
17th November 2000, 13:24
For quality tabi contact Thom via Nekyoubanjin@ambersports.com or shocker@netscape.net.
Tell him George sent you.

JD Porter
17th November 2000, 18:55
For quality tabi contact Thom via Nekyoubanjin@ambersports.com or shocker@netscape.net.

I just got a pair of these, and they're very high quality. Good fitting on a size 13 foot. Recommended.

rainingclaw
27th November 2000, 17:12
Both myself and the other members of my class wear tabi while we train. Some of them have also had similar situations with the peeling of the sole. Personally, I recommend using a brand tabi from "Acending Budo" (I'm not sure if they can be bought online, you might want to do a search on google.com for them.) I bought a pair from my Shidoshi and they have yet to fail me. We do some pretty hard training from ukemi to climbing trees so they can take quite a bit of punishment.

rainingclaw
27th November 2000, 17:19
Both myself and the other members of my class wear tabi while we train. Some of them have also had similar situations with the peeling of the sole. Personally, I recommend using a brand tabi from "Acending Budo" (I'm not sure if they can be bought online, you might want to do a search on google.com for them.) I bought a pair from my Shidoshi and they have yet to fail me. We do some pretty hard training from ukemi to climbing trees so they can take quite a bit of punishment.

Evan London
27th November 2000, 18:13
The jika tabi sold by Andrew Young (Ascending Budo) are both sewn and glued. The rubber is rather soft so the rubber on the big toe frequently rips progressively, especially if worn on pavement or cement. If only worn inside or on grass they should last about 6-8 months. I've had 3 pairs so far and liked them very much before switching to suede bottom tabi, which I also got from Andrew.
Ev

George Russell
27th November 2000, 19:23
Originally posted by George Russell
Tell him George sent you.

My friend Thom has a new web site http://users2.ev1.net/~shocker/

Check him out for tabi, leggings, weapons and uniforms. Tell him George sent you.

ShinobiKiri
29th November 2000, 18:54
Hey all

There are some really good tabi I have been using
Kwon Sports - Mat Shoes they're called. They're are th indoor tabi - really made well. Also they sell the Outdoor tabi - Jika Tabi - Also made well.

Also Amber Sports also puts out a pretty good set of tabi.

BTW - Hey George R. - Nice to have met you at M.O.B. in Penn.

Regards to All

Chris

George Russell
29th November 2000, 19:03
Originally posted by ShinobiKiri

BTW - Hey George R. - Nice to have met you at M.O.B. in Penn.

Regards to All

Chris

[/B]

Hey Chris! It was nice to meet you (and even get to see that teacher of your's :-). I enjoy getting up north when I can, I always meet a lotta nice folks and get in some good training.
George

George Kohler
30th November 2000, 18:44
Hey George,

Is this the same Thom that's also the uncle of Brian Tritico? Tell him I said hi. I bought a hickory Bo from him in 94, when I was still in the Buj. I still have it and it is still in great shape.

All of us use to be under John Lindsey, before we (John and I) left for Genbukan.

George Russell
30th November 2000, 19:54
Originally posted by George Kohler
Hey George,

Is this the same Thom that's also the uncle of Brian Tritico?

Yup! That's the one. It seems that he is now refered to as Uncle Thom all over the US. He is a great guy and stands behind all of his supplies.

ShinobiKiri
30th November 2000, 19:58
Yep... thats Uncle Thom. He is an all around nice guy.
Hey George - if you speak to him
Tell him I said Hi
and I will be emailing him soon

Chris

George Russell
30th November 2000, 20:07
Originally posted by ShinobiKiri
Yep... thats Uncle Thom. He is an all around nice guy.
Hey George - if you speak to him
Tell him I said Hi
and I will be emailing him soon

Chris

I talk with him once or twice a week so saying hi will be no prob. I may even see him this weekend at the Greg Kowalski seminar in Houston. Man I can't wait to train with greg again!

ShinobiKiri
30th November 2000, 20:11
Yeah Greg is incredible to train with.....
You will definitely have fun

Anyway the website for Kwon is http://www.kwonusa.com
and Amber Sports is http://www.ambersports.com

Chris

chutho
8th December 2000, 13:09
I met a guy named Tom at a bujinkan seminar. He trains in Texas. I can get contact info for those that want it. He makes the best pair of tabi I've ever seen. The sole if leather, dubble sewn. The uppers are heavy canvas, with 3 velcro tabs. My instructor bought a pair, and they seem to be holding up well. I think he only sells wholesale/instructors only kind of thing, but his prices are cheap.