PDA

View Full Version : Krav Maga and BBT

Janin
25th February 2005, 20:51
What effects do you think training in Krav Maga and Bujinkan Budo Taijutsu would have on each other? Good and bad effects?

BMinter
25th February 2005, 22:14
Hey Timothy,

Funny, I was just thinking about this very topic this morning. Having trained in BBT for some time and having also cross trained in Krav Maga, I must say there are several differences, at least that I have noticed.

First thing that comes to mind would be the idea of "use of force". While KM techniques are no doubt very effective, they don't leave much in the way of "moderating the pain", so to speak. Strikes are designed to achieve maximum damage whether the assailant is standing in your way or actively trying to control you with a knife to your throat.

BBT on the other hand consists of a series of locks, holds, chokes, etc. that can be more precisely controlled and utilized given the situation.

It's also my belief that because there isn't a real "use of force" element to Krav Maga, it can be learned much more quickly and easily. (The training focuses much more on the response, and much less on the situation, for example). It seems to me that BBT is the direct opposite in that regard, focusing first on the situation and second on the response.

Of course, neither art is "better" than the other - just what works for the student. (BBT is, however, probably less likely to land you in jail given a real life encounter.)

Personally, I feel fortunate to have learned techniques from both schools that I believe add to my skill set tremendously.

This is just my two cents, for what they're worth.

Cheers,

Brian Minter
San Diego

tsurashi shondo
25th February 2005, 22:58
Krav Maga will give you a workout unlike any I've seen in a Bujinkan dojo, but BBT can develop other, perhaps deeper aspects of the martial lifestyle.
Mixing the two may prove confusing and counter productive for the novice or intermediate student as the philosophy and approaches to training are quite
different.
Krav = martial
BBT = martial + art
Krav = gross motor skills and instinctive reaction training.
BBT = quality of movement instead of sheer power.

Rob Renner
26th February 2005, 23:23
The underlying principles of the 2 systems are different. For a decent explanation of the differences read this article by Scott Sonnon. It does not talk about these 2 martial arts specifically, but about their emphasis generally. http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/sonnon12.htm

Good luck.

God'zilla
27th February 2005, 19:25
It's also my belief that because there isn't a real "use of force" element to Krav Maga, it can be learned much more quickly and easily. (The training focuses much more on the response, and much less on the situation, for example). It seems to me that BBT is the direct opposite in that regard, focusing first on the situation and second on the response.

No, this is a beginers interpretation. BBT is only about the response...however, you must teach teh beginer from somewhere, and that is show a situation, show a response.