PDA

View Full Version : What's in YOUR Obi?

Gakkousei
21st May 2005, 19:35
Hi everybody. I wanted to start a thread where everybody can post what type of sword they use along with pics, where you got it, the price, and any other information you want to put down.

I'll start it off.

I have a Paul Chen Practical 1070-GT. Simple basic Hanwei model. I bought it in February of 2004, and have used and continue to use it extensively in practice cutting and solo training. I keep the edge honed with a strip of leather soaked in WD-40 lubricant, and i use a soft car-wash cloth with Break Free CLP to clean the blade after use and remove any harmful substances or particles that may tarnish or rust the blade. The handle wrap began to loosen after several months of initial use, so i rewrapped the handle by hand, and have had no problems since. The saya incurred a split that starts from the mouth of the saya and extends down about 5 or 6 inches, so i regrettably had to wrap it in electrical tape. It has been drawn so many times that the saya fits only loosely over the sword blade and slides off very easily, hence i have to watch how i hold it and carry it. I've inserted a few pieces of wood in the saya to tighten the fit, but i need to insert one or two more. Here's a couple of photos i took of it a while back.

David T Anderson
22nd May 2005, 03:33
Bugei Crane katana. Currently with a cracked saya, so it's on the rack for a while. I'm hoping to have the money to get it remounted later this year

http://www.agt.net/public/dtander/B_crane_full_500.jpg

[I have no idea why the URL instead of the pic is showing up there...]

My backup sword is a Cold Steel Warrior katana...currently I'm using that in class. Sorry, no pic.

Brian Owens
22nd May 2005, 11:39
...The saya incurred a split that starts from the mouth of the saya and extends down about 5 or 6 inches, so i regrettably had to wrap it in electrical tape. ...
The electrical tape doesn't look too bad, since it's black on black, but you can get a more traditional look by wrapping it either in thin strips of rattan or in tsukamaki that matches that on the hilt.

WD-40 and Breakfree? Horrors!

I'll have to start a choji charity collection for you! ;)

Brian Owens
22nd May 2005, 11:52
Hi everybody. I wanted to start a thread where everybody can post what type of sword they use along with pics, where you got it, the price, and any other information you want to put down. ...
Currently practicing only with a white oak bokken that my sensei gave me in 1995. It was made in Japan, but I don't know by whom or how much it cost. (We were selling them to students for $50.00 at the time, but that had some mark-up for the dojo fund.)

I'm waiting on a new iaito ordered on April 8th to replace one that was stolen a few years ago. I'll post a picture when I get it (they said 8 - 12 weeks), but in the mean time here is part of the receipt:

> Item:
> #D003-1, Dotanuki Koshirae, 2.65 long, Qty 1 $495
> tsuba #1 (plain pebble finish)
> 30cm Tsuka
> Leather tsukamaki
> Kakinagashi bo hi
> Menuki in reversed position (Yagyu style)
> Shipping $40
> Total $535
> Thanks again for choosing Bogubag to place your order.

Brian Owens
22nd May 2005, 12:14
I also have a Bugei Trading Kogarasu Maru Tachi replica, but of course I don't wear that in my obi. I rarely cut with it either; it's mostly a display piece.

It was one of the original 30 made, before they switched to the Swedish steel. If I recall it cost around $1500.

Gakkousei
22nd May 2005, 15:03
WD-40 and Breakfree? Horrors!

I'll have to start a choji charity collection for you! ;)

Well the blade is just hammered out 1070 carbon steel. It's nothing intricately done like the folded and polished Katana that are in the upper 3 and 4 digit price range. If i remember right, I think i paid $210 for mine, not including S&H and tax. It's been an excellent sword, and has stood up to an amazing amount of abuse and still functions like a dream.

Óscar Recio
22nd May 2005, 18:40
Crane katana

Oscar Recio

Jason Llamas
22nd May 2005, 21:18
Bugei bamboo katana.Nihon-to,Tadayoshi school circa 1650.

Kendoguy9
23rd May 2005, 00:51
Hello all,

While I have owned and handled many antique Nihonto; for budo I use a Paul Chen "Shinto katana." I bought it soon after they came out, because I was amazed that a sword like that could be made for so cheap. Even though Paul Chen's stuff has gotten MUCH better I still use the old Shinto. I did replace that stupid dragon tsuba (with the ridges on the rim) that snagged my gi with a Meiji era cast tsuba, still with a dragon theme. The Meiji era tsuba is larger and much heavier and gives the sword a better balance. My teacher does not like the balance, and thinks it is too tip heavy, but I like it better then lighter feeling swords. I don't practice much batto anymore (although I might have to start again) so I mostly use it for tameshigiri once every few months.

gambatte,

Brian Owens
23rd May 2005, 00:55
...Hey Brian, I thought you had a nice custom order from Tozando? Or was that someone else...Someone here had one on waitlist before the hack, thought it was you.
I was going to order a Tozando, but another forum member PM'd me and suggested I look at BoguBag. I liked the fact that the Stroud's are "local" (They used to be in Oregon and are now in Idaho), and that Robert is a practicing Iaidoka and Kendoka.

The BoguBag Dotanuki is a similar (maybe even the same) sword, but even with the extra customization I wanted it was less expensive than going though Tozando. So that's what I did.

I can hardly wait. It should be here near the end of next month (I hope).

The customer service was excellent. I e-mailed them a few times with questions, and all were returned within a day or two. I forgot to include a shipping address with my order (my billing address is a PO box, which FedEx can't deliver to), and Lynn caught my mistake early and e-mailed me, so no hassles with delivery problems down the road. Based on my experience, I can heartily recommend them to all.

This isn't to say that Tozando aren't good as well. I've bought uniform items and other stuff from them, and will continue to do so. But in this particular case BoguBag was a better choice for me.

Gakkousei
23rd May 2005, 03:12
Wow. I'm reading about all these great swords, some of which i have seen before and would like to have. I kinda feel like the guy who shows up to a party in a Saturn when everbody else is driving a Mercedes. It's no biggie though. I prefer the cheap hanwei swords because i can abuse them without worrying about possibly damaging a sword that took months to make.

Maro
23rd May 2005, 06:25
Hey Brian,

we can compare photos when it arrives - I have a 2.6o/28cm Tozando Dotanuki.

It's great.

I've not seen the Bogu Bag variant but one other student has a Swordstore model. They are very similar - his is slightly more tip heavy than mine.

jest
23rd May 2005, 11:11
Wow. I'm reading about all these great swords, some of which i have seen before and would like to have. I kinda feel like the guy who shows up to a party in a Saturn when everbody else is driving a Mercedes. It's no biggie though. I prefer the cheap hanwei swords because i can abuse them without worrying about possibly damaging a sword that took months to make.

Ha. I imagine I'm the guy driving up in his volkswagen beetle, looking for a different pary.
Currently in my obi: heavy, shiro kashi bokken, no sori, no kissaki. I prefer it above lighter bokken.

KoteGaeshi
24th May 2005, 10:00
White Oak bokken, BudoNord in Sweden... Aikido practise

Tom Smyth
24th May 2005, 11:01
30.5 inch Kotetsu ( Yasutoshi) made in Japan, purchased in June 2000. Cut 20-40 tatami a month since then with it, sharpened professionally in the Japanese style once a year.Used in every Orlando Tai Kai and Seattle Tai Kai.
Still going strong,no cracks, no chips, no bends( big ones at least)

11.5 inch tanto, ubu, mumei, plain mounts, yoridoshi style.

Tom Smyth
USFBD

urbalte
27th May 2005, 03:23
I have the Higo Koshirae from Tozando. It was a better choice for me since once they finished putting the whole things together it got to me in a day. Sagawa Express is another FEDEX type company over here in Japan that delivers fast. Brian, I would love to see the pics of your new iaito when it gets in.

Brian Owens
27th May 2005, 03:42
...Brian, I would love to see the pics of your new iaito when it gets in.
Me too. ;)

I'll be sure to post several. Waiting patiently...

Jock Armstrong
27th May 2005, 08:20
Too poor to own a real Nihon to just yet- expecting the latest model Chen Musashi to arrive- very purty with the bo hi. The hilt is just a a tad too long to be perfect but its not bad. 12 to 13 inches would be just perfect.

Gakkousei
22nd August 2005, 11:29
Quick update:

I dropped my sword a while back on some rocky ground and now the edge has a chip in it about the size of a grain of sugar. It doesn't look like it will be coming out anytime soon, despite an attempt to sharpen it out, but the sword still functions quite nicely. I guess it was time for me to look forward to investing in a new nihonto anyway. Maybe this time i'll purchase the Practical Plus or Practical Pro katana.

Basil
22nd August 2005, 20:26
in my obi there is a 2.4 shinken
it cost about 210,000 yen

Steve Delaney
22nd August 2005, 20:51
Lovely shinken, shame about the Aston Villa bedstrip :D

twayman
22nd August 2005, 21:24
I currently use a Tozando Basic Iaito (about $250.00) for Iaido. Paul Chen Practical Katana (about $165.00 if I remember right) for Iaido once in a while and to do a little cutting but mostly stays in the case. Plus a bunch of crapy stainless steel junkers that I dulled for students to use.... No pictures.

Basil
22nd August 2005, 21:24
well someone has to support them.
at least its not small heath alliance.

gendzwil
22nd August 2005, 21:36
Plus a bunch of crapy stainless steel junkers that I dulled for students to use.... No pictures.
Why would you put your students at risk with unsafe swords?

twayman
22nd August 2005, 22:24
Why would you put your students at risk with unsafe swords?

Dull swords unsafe for drawing and Iaido kata? I did not say unsafe swords only crapy as in inexpensive DULL swords.

gendzwil
22nd August 2005, 22:30
Dull swords unsafe for drawing and Iaido kata? I did not say unsafe swords only crapy as in inexpensive DULL swords.
You said stainless steel junkers. Those are unsafe in my book.

twayman
22nd August 2005, 22:37
You said stainless steel junkers. Those are unsafe in my book.

I see your point.

gendzwil
22nd August 2005, 22:47
I see your point.
Have a look at this thread (http://forums.swordforum.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=43606) for some insight into why they're unsafe.

twayman
22nd August 2005, 23:08
Have a look at this thread (http://forums.swordforum.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=43606) for some insight into why they're unsafe.
Thanks Neil... I had no clue they were so poorly made. I'll replace them with bokken next time we practice.

Brian Owens
23rd August 2005, 04:22
My own update.

...I'm waiting on a new iaito ordered on April 8th to replace one that was stolen a few years ago. I'll post a picture when I get it (they said 8 - 12 weeks)...

I haven't seen my order yet, nor had any contact from BoguBag.

It's been 19 1/2 weeks since my order was placed. I'm patient, but not that patient.

Time for an E-mail to them I think.

MikeE
24th August 2005, 14:22
For fun, I picked up a Last Legend Ameryu folded blade. The worst part is, I love it. It gives great feedback on tameshigiri and I use it almost exclusively for seitei kata now too.

My only issue is the ito was loose and now I have to have it rewrapped.

Maro
24th August 2005, 22:46
I like the look of the Ameryu - any pics?

Last Legend seem to be working hard at making a broad variety of blades.

Chen needs to catch up now.

RonH
25th August 2005, 20:06
I have a Bugei Crane that's been completely re-done:

http://www.wholearmor.net/FRCRANE.HTM

Bugei 27/10 Dragonfly

Bugei Wave Tanto

Nosyu (SwordStore), 2002 Iaito

Maro
25th August 2005, 22:49
Very nice indeed!

Ojiisan
26th August 2005, 16:07
Here is my Swordstore 2002 iaito. 2.5 shyaku, 900 gram, Higo Wave koshira and fuchi, solid silver menuki on black same with black silk ito, abalone tsuba, and black stone finish saya. Since pics were taken, now have a red with black dots sageo from Fred Lohman.

http://home.comcast.net/~wiltek/20050713-4.jpg
http://home.comcast.net/~wiltek/20050713-6.jpg
http://home.comcast.net/~wiltek/20050713-8.jpg

deathr0w
29th August 2005, 17:54
Hi!.. I`m From Argentina, I practice MJER Iaijutsu - Komei Jyuku. And this is my katana.

http://macabre.firetech.com.ar/files/uploads/Katana/000_0317.jpg
http://macabre.firetech.com.ar/files/uploads/Katana/000_0318.jpg
http://macabre.firetech.com.ar/files/uploads/Katana/000_0335.jpg

Bye! :)

deathr0w
29th August 2005, 23:19
A fresh one!!.. i took this one 10 minutes ago! :)

http://macabre.firetech.com.ar/files/uploads/Katana/000_0484.jpg

tddeangelo
31st August 2005, 13:37
Well, we can't have Bugei customers running away with this thread.... ;)

I use a Swordstore batto-yo (#6006). 2-6-5 blade, wysteria tsuba, black gloss saya, higo wave f/k set, tiger/bamboo menuki, black cotton ito on black same. The mounted sword weighs about 1200g.

I'm a big guy (6'2" and big build), so this works perfectly for me. It's a little uncomfortable when Sensei has the entire class doing chiburi/noto and has us hold chiburi while he walks around and corrects everyone's position, though! :)

Tom

Chidokan
2nd September 2005, 18:42
I have about ten iaito at the moment, and although I tend to favour a shinken I have just bought, I still use my old green saya'd iaito for teaching with... its the one at the bottom with the blue/green sageo... The rest I use as club blades.
http://chidokan.tripod.com/id9.html

p.s. dont tell my mrs I have that many... ;)

pgsmith
2nd September 2005, 20:10
Jeez Tim!
What a sword pig! :)

Brian Owens
3rd September 2005, 03:34
...I haven't seen my order yet, nor had any contact from BoguBag. ...It's been 19 1/2 weeks since my order was placed. ...
I received an e-mail from Lynn Stroud just a day or two after I e-mailed them. She assured me that my order had been sent to Japan in a timely manner, and that she would check to see what was going on.

The next day she e-mailed me again. She said the factory says my iaito should ship on Septmember 10th, and arrive at my door on the 15th or 16th.

Once again, BoguBag has proven to be on the ball with regard to answering my questions and concerns.

John Lovato
3rd September 2005, 05:43
Here are the two I use the most. The long sword is a gunto and the tanto is a foot long Bob Egnath creation. I just had matching saya done by Ted Tenold and he did a great job.

http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/yoshidaha1/album?.dir=ad55&.src=ph

John Lovato
Yoshida-Ha Bujutsu

Chidokan
3rd September 2005, 10:01
swords are like fishing rods, all slightly different and you can never have enough.... :) I have actually got a 'sword corner' where all my club bokken (20 odd), shinai(half a dozen) and iaito are put...my mrs isnt too happy with it but they have to go somewhere dont they! :rolleyes: At least they are all used, not like these people who just keep a load to admire....sell them to people like me, we'll use 'em no bother! And they'd get well looked after. (this is a pre-emptive reply to the sword collecting anorak types who accuse us iai people of damaging swords as soon as we look at them.. :) )

Maro
4th September 2005, 05:58
Tozando Dotanuki Iaito (2.6 Shaku) and Hanwei Wind & Thunder for Tameshigiri.

http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a222/Ukenagashi/Comparison.jpg

http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a222/Ukenagashi/Daisho.jpg

http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a222/Ukenagashi/ColourKissaki.jpg

Clarito Zapanta
4th September 2005, 07:50
i purchased this iaito from my dojo , (musokai in bellevue WA ) i don't know the exact origins all i know is our sensei bring these iaito from japan.

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y294/asukatokenobi/DSC01324.jpg

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y294/asukatokenobi/DSC01318.jpg

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y294/asukatokenobi/DSC01312.jpg

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y294/asukatokenobi/DSC01314.jpg

Maro
4th September 2005, 09:24
It looks like the same Menuki and Tsuba of the Dotanuki - Tozando is only one of the Iaito manufacturers. The Fuchi/Kashira on yours looks different but again, the Habaki looks the same.

(I believe there are a lot of common parts shared by Iaito producers).

I've seen that Fuchi/Kashira on a Jidae Model.

Brian Owens
4th September 2005, 10:23
i purchased this iaito from my dojo , (musokai in bellevue WA ) i don't know the exact origins all i know is our sensei bring these iaito from japan.
Other than asking Kono Sensei, it's hard to tell. Your nice photos do a good job of showing the tight fit and the particulars of the parts, though.

Kono Sensei is an NBTHK recognized Token, and does a lot of high-end polishing and restoration work, so I suspect he personally selects only the best of what's shown to him to bring back to the States.

(I've mentioned on these forums before that I had an iaito stolen in a burglary; it was one that Kono Sensei obtained for me. I can only hope that my new one (when it finally gets here) is as good as that one.)

ulvulv
4th September 2005, 11:04
Other than asking Kono Sensei, it's hard to tell. Your nice photos do a good job of showing the tight fit and the particulars of the parts, though.

Kono Sensei is an NBTHK recognized Token, and does a lot of high-end polishing and restoration work, so I suspect he personally selects only the best of what's shown to him to bring back to the States.

(I've mentioned on these forums before that I had an iaito stolen in a burglary; it was one that Kono Sensei obtained for me. I can only hope that my new one (when it finally gets here) is as good as that one.)

You are cursed; Brian. Your iaito will never come, and you are eternally stuck on E-budo. You have probably faced it already. ;)

Clarito Zapanta
5th September 2005, 05:17

Sorry to hear about your unfortunate situation. did you ever catch the thief?

I hear Konno Sensei is starting a Forge in Washington? is that true?

By the way do you study at musokai ?? if so, im the big asian guy who started a couple of months ago, and if not ,.. well at least you know im a big asian guy.
:)

Brian Owens
5th September 2005, 06:25
Sorry to hear about your unfortunate situation. did you ever catch the thief?
Unfortunately, no. (Well, unfortunate for me. Probabaly fortunate for the thieves.)

The police think it was a youth gang that swept through our area over several weeks, and then vanished. (Overall my neighborhood is pretty safe.)

I hear Konno Sensei is starting a Forge in Washington? is that true?
I haven't heard anything about that, but then I've been "out of the loop" for a while. If I see him at the Matsuri next weekend I'll have to ask; it sounds intriguing.

By the way do you study at musokai ??
No; I was a guest at Musokai for a few weeks back in the mid-'90s, and also have been to Konno Sensei's house a few times. I first met him when he had a small shop on the mezzanine of the old Uwajimaya, back in the '70s. But I don't really know him that well; I'm just sort of on the outer fringe of some of his circles, and we cross paths from time to time.

Brian Owens
5th September 2005, 06:33
You are cursed; Brian. Your iaito will never come, and you are eternally stuck on E-budo.
Oh no! Is that what's meant by being in "E-Budo Hell"?

You have probably faced it already.
No; I live in a constant state of denial. ;)

hyaku
6th September 2005, 00:59
http://www.hyoho.com/013.gif

Brian Owens
6th September 2005, 02:28

Hyaku, as often as I've seen that it, still wierds me out.

I can't even imaging trying to draw that thing.

Chidokan
6th September 2005, 22:12
He only got it so he could tell the girls he has a big weapon. :D :D :D

StephenMWyatt
20th September 2005, 04:59
As soon as I can AFFORD it, I'm getting a Taitsuki Nihonto #3, with a special-order tsuba shaped like my Master's organizational symbol (see my avatar). They go for around $800, plus $90 each for the special-order tsuba.
Later, all,
StephenMWyatt

renfield_kuroda
20th September 2005, 21:29
The sword isn't that big, it's just that Hyaku is only 3 feet tall.

Regards,

r e n

twayman
8th November 2005, 16:13
Just refinished my saya, changed the tuska to a 12" long matching sageo, new tsuba and built a new stand. My Tozando never looked better!

Brian Owens
8th November 2005, 23:06
...My Tozando never looked better!
Looks good.

But it's upside down on the tachikake. :p

twayman
8th November 2005, 23:19
Looks good.

But it's upside down on the tachikake. :p

I know I was taking other pictures for Chris of the Tuska... Figures someone would call me on it... :rolleyes: :)

DCPan
9th November 2005, 01:54
Who did the tsuka work?

DCPan
9th November 2005, 01:57
Here are the two I use the most. The long sword is a gunto and the tanto is a foot long Bob Egnath creation. I just had matching saya done by Ted Tenold and he did a great job.

http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/yoshidaha1/album?.dir=ad55&.src=ph

John Lovato
Yoshida-Ha Bujutsu

Where did you get the fuchi gashira/kojiri?

John Lovato
9th November 2005, 04:41
The fuchi/kashira/kojiri are Fred Lohman higo style fittings. The menuki with mon i had my brother make. The tsuba on the daito is an antique and is a yanagi(willow tree).

DCPan
9th November 2005, 05:44
The fuchi/kashira/kojiri are Fred Lohman higo style fittings. The menuki with mon i had my brother make. The tsuba on the daito is an antique and is a yanagi(willow tree).

Thanks!

I've been looking for the silver colored ones...the ones at KOEI are too shiny, and the lines aren't blackened like yours....

:D

Brian Owens
9th November 2005, 05:54
David, your new avatar cracks me up.

Is that a Kit Kat bar you're eating?

DCPan
9th November 2005, 06:32
It's called something like a "jagermeister".

It was at a BBQ thrown by a kenyu...taken on a cell cam...they insist that using this avatar would change my "uptight" image... :D

BTW, did your sword arrive? Still wanna check it out if it did.

:)

Maro
9th November 2005, 06:33
On my 30th Birthday, the Jagermeister was the last think I remember!

twayman
9th November 2005, 15:25
Who did the tsuka work?
Tuska work... No idea I bought it from Chris Moses (member here) it was a project iaito he was working on but, fit my needs. I did the fitting and mounting.

Brian Owens
9th November 2005, 21:51
...BTW, did your sword arrive? Still wanna check it out if it did.
Yes, it came a few weeks ago.

21 weeks from date of order, but worth the wait.

twayman
9th November 2005, 23:10
Yes, it came a few weeks ago.

21 weeks from date of order, but worth the wait.
Post picture?

Brian Owens
10th November 2005, 03:12
Post picture?
I'll see what I can do.

I just got a new, pro-level digital camera, but I don't yet have a way to transfer images to the Web. (My old computer doesn't have a card reader, nor a USB port to connect one.) I'll try to swing by Kinko's this coming weekend and transfer some images to CD.

TJHara
11th November 2005, 16:16
Hello, all-

I'm new here and this looks to be a good place to drop a first post. My name's TJ Hara and I'm a student of Toyama Ryu battoujutsu under Robert Steele. I've recently received my Last Legend Kumoryu, which I've so far just been working with to get acclimated to the weight of. However, I'm looking forward to making my first cuts with it in class tomorrow night!

I initially wasn't wild about the samé wrap on the saya, although it's been suggested that will be good protection against splitting it open accidentally. Plus, it turned out to be a freebie upgrade, and not a goof by the manufacturer. I think the base cost of the sword was $930, I bumped that up to around $1150 by having them shorten the tsuka to 10 inches and changing the ito/samé colors to blue on white.

Cheers,
TJ

twayman
14th November 2005, 16:02
I initially wasn't wild about the samé wrap on the saya, although it's been suggested that will be good protection against splitting it open accidentally.

Welcome!

Nice, I personally like the same on the saya look. Saya splitting can be a big pain in the a$$ I have had to fix mine; same should make it stronger hopefully avoiding later repairs. Nice looking sword.

Ronin_21
14th November 2005, 20:02
Bogubag rentasya koshirae 2.45 shaku, notare hamon, ill try to get pics. But its the koolest sword ever! :D

Gakkousei
15th November 2005, 06:27
Wow. im loving these swords you guys have. Makes me almost ashamed of my $180 Practical. lol...

ulvulv
15th November 2005, 06:35
Wow. im loving these swords you guys have. Makes me almost ashamed of my $180 Practical. lol...

Just almost? ;)

TJHara
15th November 2005, 16:09
Welcome!

Nice, I personally like the same on the saya look. Saya splitting can be a big pain in the a$$ I have had to fix mine; same should make it stronger hopefully avoiding later repairs. Nice looking sword.

Thank you for the welcome and the compliment. I do appreciate the samé wrap a little more since I accidentally put a small split in my iaito saya. I guess if I'd had a choice, I would have gone with their rattan wrap option rather than the samé but hey, it did come at no extra charge.

Oh, I neglected to add a photo of the blade itself to my post. 'Cuz that's the important part. I think it was because I only had extreme close-ups of the blade actually turn out without reflecting too much flash. Also, any other shots of the whole blade would have had that same stupid Chumbawumba CD peeking out in the background...

-TJ

Ronin_21
16th November 2005, 02:10
Im buyin a new, steel tsuba with crashing wave motif for it, but I love it, nice balance, nice weight, and quite a good fit for a non custom saya, rattles a little when you run though. Whadda you guys think?
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v358/ronin_21/IMG_0989.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v358/ronin_21/IMG_0988.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v358/ronin_21/IMG_0994.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v358/ronin_21/IMG_0991.jpg

Chidokan
16th November 2005, 11:57
what rattles, the blade in the saya or the tsuba on the sword? :confused: and who are you running away from? :)

Ronin_21
16th November 2005, 18:34
Blade rattles in saya and running as in when sensei calls us in and you jog towards him so he can explain stuff to the group.

Gakkousei
16th November 2005, 19:00
Just almost? ;)

Hey it could be worse, i could be swinging around one of these...

http://www.karatedepot.com/catalog/images/items/large/sw-sa-15.jpg

DCPan
16th November 2005, 21:28
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v358/ronin_21/IMG_0994.jpg

Did you request the kakinagashi-hi, or did it just come that way?

twayman
16th November 2005, 21:32
Hey it could be worse, i could be swinging around one of these...

http://www.karatedepot.com/catalog/images/items/large/sw-sa-15.jpg

The red one is sweet!!!!!!!!!! :rolleyes:

ulvulv
16th November 2005, 21:40
Did you request the kakinagashi-hi, or did it just come that way?
David, I guess that you are referring to the length of the bohi, which on this sword vanishes under the habaki?
I have seen that iaito of the same type can have different "type" of hi, depending on blade length. Probably because the blades are originally stamped out in the same size, then the tang is cut and profiled according to the different lenghts that are wanted. On a tozando higo koshirae 2.6 shaku, the groove stopped 5mm before the habaki, while on a 2.35, it went past the habaki.

DCPan
16th November 2005, 22:18
David, I guess that you are referring to the length of the bohi, which on this sword vanishes under the habaki?
I have seen that iaito of the same type can have different "type" of hi, depending on blade length. Probably because the blades are originally stamped out in the same size, then the tang is cut and profiled according to the different lenghts that are wanted. On a tozando higo koshirae 2.6 shaku, the groove stopped 5mm before the habaki, while on a 2.35, it went past the habaki.

Yeah...if I recall correctly, that's a $$$ option on the higher end of the swordstore iaito...along with the shinken-hi where the front end of the hi curve with the kissaki instead of end with a symmetrical point.

Ronin_21
17th November 2005, 03:55
I did in fact request that type of hi, just dident like the look of the other type, and my sensei gregs shinken's hi goes right into the habaki and I thought it was kool:P

Gakkousei
18th November 2005, 10:58
I read a quote somewhere, i believe it was BLADE magazine, where a fellow said "When you hold a katana, if you are not somehow moved by the weight of what it is, and what it can do, then you probably should not have one."

**sidenote** It's taken me over two years to get 200 posts. lol.. :rolleyes:

SamHaLe
20th December 2005, 09:51
Eurobogu Tokujiyu Koshirae (perfect for starters with low budget)
--------------------------

blade length: 76,6 cm (2.54 shaku)
sori: approx. 20 mm
tsuka length: 25,5 cm
overall length: approx. 102,5 cm
weight w/o saya: 925 g
total weight: 1150 g

The very soft (purple) sword bag was included.
http://users.telenet.be/samoerai.haacht/Katana-1.jpg
Whole sword: Jidai style, black matte saya, black tsuka-ito, black cotton sageo.

Light alloy chrome plated blade. Can not (and will not) cut anything else than air:-)
http://users.telenet.be/samoerai.haacht/Katana-2.jpg

Tsuka-ito is cotton, very tightly wound and underneath there is real ray-skin
http://users.telenet.be/samoerai.haacht/Katana-3.JPG

Kashira with a dragon motive.
http://users.telenet.be/samoerai.haacht/Katana-7.JPG

Similar dragon motive on fuchi, as well as on menuki. Single mekugi is bamboo.
http://users.telenet.be/samoerai.haacht/Katana-4.JPG

Tsuba is plain black iron.
http://users.telenet.be/samoerai.haacht/Katana-5.JPG
http://users.telenet.be/samoerai.haacht/Katana-6.JPG

The point of kissaki is VERY sharp, "fake" long wave hamon is visible.
http://users.telenet.be/samoerai.haacht/Katana-8.JPG

The best buy! @ €220

heresjonny
20th December 2005, 17:24
Ninecircles Jidai Iaito, No longer an available model. (Cackle, aha! Now it is Priceless) T'was a gift for my 16th birthday. Saving for a ninecircles shinken...

Will post pictures if I can spare the time to upload them.
Anyone interested in selling a ninecircles shinken? PM me, I'm your man.

Ken-Hawaii
21st December 2005, 07:44
Okay, let's see: Paul Chen Shinto wakizashi & Orochi Shinken custom shinken (2-4-5, on the bottom). I bought my iaito (also 2-4-5, in the middle) from the manufacturer in Japan while I was there about five years ago, & I'll be darned if I can remember his name; I have his card, but can't read Kanji.... My iaito has done yeoman's duty despite my banging it around in MJER, & even cracking the saya once.

Great idea for a thread! :D

Bailemor
21st December 2005, 10:00
I am eagerly awaiting my Nosuyiaido sword which my sensei has ordered for me direct form the company, it should arrive just in time for christmas as my sensei arrives back from japan on 23rd Dec.
I will posat pics once it has arrived.

David

Brian Owens
22nd December 2005, 04:39
...I bought my iaito (also 2-4-5, in the middle) from the manufacturer in Japan while I was there about five years ago, & I'll be darned if I can remember his name; I have his card, but can't read Kanji.
If you post a picture of the card, I'm sure someone here can translate it for you.

Is that the original tsukamaki, or did you have it re-done?

A. Bakken
22nd December 2005, 05:02
Yeah...if I recall correctly, that's a $$$ option on the higher end of the swordstore iaito...along with the shinken-hi where the front end of the hi curve with the kissaki instead of end with a symmetrical point.

You have to pay more for a larger amount of non-matter? :D Why would you want the hi to extend into the nakago anyway? Just makes it easier for choji oil, dust or other gunk to gather underneath the tsuka.

DCPan
22nd December 2005, 05:07
You have to pay more for a larger amount of non-matter? :D Why would you want the hi to extend into the nakago anyway? Just makes it easier for choji oil, dust or other gunk to gather underneath the tsuka.

Just like the reason why people want any other option on their sword...because they like it that way.

Ken-Hawaii
23rd December 2005, 00:08
Good idea on posting the business card, Brian. Now all I have to do is find it amongst all the Christmas wrapping.... :rolleyes:

The tsukamaki on all three blades is the original wrap. Why do you ask?

hyaku
23rd December 2005, 00:30
I read a quote somewhere, i believe it was BLADE magazine, where a fellow said "When you hold a katana, if you are not somehow moved by the weight of what it is, and what it can do, then you probably should not have one."

**sidenote** It's taken me over two years to get 200 posts. lol.. :rolleyes:

I'm moved by the colour of a blue tsuka-ito. It's so kawaiiiiiiiiiiiii, I want to kiss it :p

Brian Owens
23rd December 2005, 03:22
...The tsukamaki on all three blades is the original wrap. Why do you ask?
You said it was a made-in-Japan iaito, but I see that the wrapping is very uneven -- not the usual quality on MIJ swords that I've seen.

But maybe the strands have shifted with use. Are they getting loose?

Steve Delaney
23rd December 2005, 03:35
I'm moved by the colour of a blue tsuka-ito. It's so kawaiiiiiiiiiiiii, I want to kiss it :p

Colin, there are times when what you write really scares me. :p

Ken-Hawaii
24th December 2005, 20:43
Hey, Brian, I haven't had my iaito tsukamaki repaired or refurbished in over five years. And as I still consider myself as a beginning student of iaido, I'm not surprised that it looks a bit unkempt. I don't heave it across the dojo or slam the kissaki into the floor very often, but it's definitely had a pretty hard life with me!

The ito aren't really loose, & the menuki haven't shifted - yet. As far as I know, there isn't anyone out here in Hawaii-nei who can repair/refurbish tsukamaki, & I go to practice far too often to send it off for a few weeks. I guess I could use my shinken, but I still have a tendency to keep that solely for tameshigiri - something about keeping all my fingers.... :rolleyes:

Mele Kalikimaka to all of you!! We'll think of you kindly as we eat - & drink - Christmas dinner out on our boat in the middle of Kaneohe Bay; the water's still almost 80F!

Dave Humm
25th December 2005, 09:46
Happy Holidays :)

The top sword is a 2.2.5 iaito "Kabuto Wari" so named in the catalogue, it's too short for me so I have it for 'dojo' use by any of my Aikido students who may interested.

The remaining two are 2.4.5 shinken from Nine Circles, the middle of the three being from their "Okuden" range and the bottom from their "Shoden" range which I've used for tameshigiri.

I also have a Kaigunto (not shown) dated showa ju hachi nen with the poem "Fortune of battle lives for ever". This is undergoing restoration into civilian mounts.

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/angela.tunstall1/hka/images/three-stand.jpg

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/angela.tunstall1/hka/images/three-virt.jpg

Regards as always

Chidokan
25th December 2005, 17:10
Ken,
why dont you order a spare tsuka then have the original re-bound? That way you always have a good spare if you need it.

Roll on Xmas... I need to get back in the dojo....

Ken-Hawaii
25th December 2005, 23:45
You know, Tim, that's a great idea! Not sure why I didn't think of it myself. Probably just a wee bit too attached to my iaito. :p Any suggestions as to where I can get my tsuka re-wrapped?

Oh, and just a question on how I ensure that a new tsuka will have the mekugi hole(s) in the right place? I guess I could remove the tsuka & send along a tracing or digital photo with a ruler, but that seems like a lot more work than I'd expect. What is the obvious trick that I'm missing?

Mele Kalikimaka!

Jason H.P. Yoo
26th December 2005, 00:20

I'm not an iaido practitioner (not yet, at least, but it's unlikely to happen in the near future anyways), but I'm curious what this means.

What is the significance of tsuka-ito color?

Just to stay on topic and avoid threadjacking, nothing's in my obi yet.

Bailemor
26th December 2005, 09:49
Hi there,

My new Iaito has now arrived form Japan, and i really love it. It has good weight and balance and looks a real beauty, I cant wait till teh winter seminar to try it out properly.

David.

ps - i will try to post a picture soon.

louroberto
26th December 2005, 21:30
I just recieved my new to from my Sensei. It was custom made in Japan for my size and liking. It is unbelievable!! here goes...

Sterling hand etched rain drop Habaki
Sterling Seppa
Silver Dragon and Wave menuki
Iron dragon tsuba
Silk Ito
Genuine Same

It makes a sound like no other!!! I am so hyped up!!!

http://www.louroberto.com/iaito%20001.jpg

http://www.louroberto.com/iaito%20003.jpg

http://www.louroberto.com/iaito%20004.jpg

http://www.louroberto.com/iaito%20005.jpg

http://www.louroberto.com/iaito%20007.jpg

http://www.louroberto.com/iaito%20008.jpg

http://www.louroberto.com/iaito%20009.jpg

http://www.louroberto.com/iaito%20013.jpg

http://www.louroberto.com/iaito%20015.jpg

Chidokan
27th December 2005, 13:25
Ken,
I think the spares come with no hole drilled, so you can just add an extra hole yourself anywhere you like. Dont forget the hole is at a diagonal... :) Usually I do the rewrap myself, Hyaku brought me some ito and since other people found out I did it they get the ito and just give me it. I should really find out a source....
Most of the people who wrap tsuka I have come across do it for the same reason I do... I couldnt find someone to do it and it didnt look that hard from diagrams. All you need to do is just make sure its tight and doesnt slacken off as you go along....I use some modified molegrips to hold the last twists in placewhile I do the next ones.
I'm hijacking the thread now, so....currently using a few swords, one is especially light as I have an RSI I have just aggravated again by using too many screwdrivers at work... that and the wrist support along with a niten bokken is keeping me in training.

Ken-Hawaii
27th December 2005, 18:57
You evidently have a whole lot more time (& patience) than I do, Tim. And I had enough trouble with knots just tying up my boat, so the skill-level may not be present, either.

I honestly never paid much attention to how the tsuka tied in to the nakago with mekugi, & had no idea the hole was diagonal. Makes sense from an engineering standpoint, but that's just one of the many details that most of us iaidoka just take for granted. The ancient sword-makers were a darn sight smarter, not to mention more practical, than most of us give them credit for.

I've started selling iaito & shinken out here for Orochi Shinken, & know they have an expert on staff at tsukamaki wrapping, so I think I'll take the easy way out & just have them create me a new custom tsuka. I can then take your excellent advice & have my old one rewrapped.

I thought about a whole new iaito (since I get them wholesale now, & on time!), but I've found there's such a difference in how different swords handle, I'm not sure that I want to add any more variables to my swing. Anyone out there who uses more than one iaito on a regular basis?

Chidokan
27th December 2005, 21:56
that'll be me again...depending on student turnout, I get whats left out of eight iaito....although I do try and keep them away from the light one I like. The difference between all of them is quite interesting, some heavy, some medium weight, one light. Slight variations in length, but that doesnt seem to matter much for me...Also the balance changes from tip heavy (meirin ones) to more tsuka heavy (nosyu in my possession). One of them is absolutely AWFUL. It's balanced somewhere short of halfway up the blade...
It does distract slightly when using the awful one, as you have to focus a little on getting it to move the way you want, and plays havoc with wrist technique.... Its one reason why I wont buy a sword over the net and must handle it before I buy one for myself or my students...

EdwardMason
6th January 2006, 13:19
Hello,
I’m a “newbie” to this forum although I’ve lurked for a while.
Just couldn’t contain myself any longer.

My wonderful wife (yeah they exist!) bought me a steel iaito from Swordstore for Christmas! (Actually, she let me order it the second week in November). I was very impressed with the time and efforts that Rick Polland spent making sure my order came out right. This is my first live blade and I wanted something special.

It arrived just in time for Christmas!
It’s beautiful! The fuchi, kashira and menuki are all silver over natural same and a very tight deep blue silk ito. My tsuba is a horse and cherry theme. 2.55 full he blade with gunome hamon and black gloss saya. I bought an upgrade variegated silk sageo. I guess I will have to borrow a camera to provide pictures.

The best part is the balance. I got to play with it doing some draws, cuts and noto. I also did some of the less demanding kata but kept it simple as I become familiar with the live blade. I noticed that I have a slight tendency to peek at my saya as I do an overly cautious noto. I know that this is a temporary issue but I do like my fingers! Other than a few minor shavings in the koiguchi I’m gaining confidence with each practice.(at home for now ,won’t bring it to the dojo until my confidence is at a much higher level) I gotta say I’m thoroughly pleased that it feels almost like my iaito.

Sincerely,
Ed Mason

allochi
23rd February 2006, 11:17
@ Ronin_21

Your Iaito is really cool, where did you get it from? I will need to order one end of this month, maybe one like you cool one!

Regards, allochi

Ronin_21
24th February 2006, 05:44
Hey thanks, ya I love it. Got it from Bogubag, H002 rentasya koshirae.

allochi
24th February 2006, 08:46
@ Ronin_21

Man they have just the components that I want, but how is it? I mean comparied to Nashijin/swordStore? is it considered high quality? higher? how is the weight/Balance? Same?

if you feel not to say anything in the forum please email me at allochi@gmail.com

Thanks man!

allochi
24th February 2006, 08:50
@ Ronin_21

Man I'm really excited, Please contact me and please indicate what is the quality of the blad and what is the total price.

I really thank you Ronin_21, I really found what I want now!!!

hyaku
24th February 2006, 10:07
I'm not an iaido practitioner (not yet, at least, but it's unlikely to happen in the near future anyways), but I'm curious what this means.

What is the significance of tsuka-ito color?

Just to stay on topic and avoid threadjacking, nothing's in my obi yet.

Hello Jason sorry to sound sarcastic. Buying a sword is a bit like buying a decent car. Years ago all you got was black. Same with a decent suit. Not much choice in colours but it's of high quality. They used to make courst swords very flashy too. Your everyday weapon is a very usable rather plain affair.

Same with the clothing we wear. men's stuff is rather somber.

Black would be significant. Bright blue is a bit well............ I'll let you decide.

hyaku
24th February 2006, 10:10
I'm moving this too Sword Crafts and questions. But maybe even that's not an appropriate place for wall hangers.

johan smits
24th February 2006, 10:18
What's in my obi?

My fat belly and a cheap non-descript kodachi for jujutsu.

Best regards,

Johan Smits

Brian Owens
24th February 2006, 13:40
...referring to the length of the bohi, which on this sword vanishes under the habaki...iaito of the same type can have different "type" of hi, depending on blade length. Probably because the blades are originally stamped out in the same size, then the tang is cut and profiled according to the different lenghts that are wanted. On a tozando higo koshirae 2.6 shaku, the groove stopped 5mm before the habaki, while on a 2.35, it went past the habaki.
If that were the sole case, then the bohi on my 2.6.5 Dotanuki should stop somewhere just below the monouchi. ;)

Just kidding of course. But, in fact, the choice of kakinagashi-hi or kakitoshi-hi is one that a buyer should be able to make on most swords, regardless of length. It's partly a matter of personal style on the part of the buyer, and partly a matter of matching the style of the period or the smith that the sword is emulating. In the case of iaito they probably have blanks of various lengths both with and without kakinagashi-hi, which could explain why some choices are not available. For example, my Dotanuki wasn't offered without hi, nor was there a choice of type of hi tip or location. Hisaki agari (hi extending past the yokote) and katachiri (lower edge of hi against the shinogi, as opposed to ryochiri, centered on the shinogiji) was the only choice. But marudome-hi (rounded hi stops before the habaki) was standard and kakinagashi-hi was an extra-cost option.

BTW, I know that this post is a little late, but I was reviewing the whole thread in response to recent activity and came across Roar's comment.

Brian Owens
7th January 2007, 20:27
In reviewing this thread, I found this post:

...http://www.agt.net/public/dtander/B_crane_full_500.jpg

[I have no idea why the URL instead of the pic is showing up there...
The answer is that URL tags got imbedded between the IMG tags (but they only show if you go to the quote or edit function.

Here's that picture:

http://www.agt.net/public/dtander/B_crane_full_500.jpg

Peter Pao
29th January 2007, 18:07
Hi Everyone

New guy here with one other post. I've got a Paul Chen PPK....It was cool when I first got it but the more I emerse myself in the world of swords, the more faults I find in it.

I started off a long time ago with a WWII Navy gunto......sold it for a d/p on a car.....then I ended up with a 1,000 yen bokutou from a souvenir shop in Matsushima. After that, I wanted a real sword again but even a gunto was too expensive so I got myself a Paul Chen practical. Traded that in for a practical plus and now I'm practicing Eishin Ryu with my 1,000 yen bokuto from the souvenir shop.

My sensei has given me the green light for an iaito so I'm doing a little shopping now.

Ultimate_Truth
25th February 2007, 08:06
Just purchased these today for use with GP shinken training / mat cutting work in the bujutsu system that I study. The sword on top is an Oni Forge Medium Katana (28.5" Nagasa / 14" Tsuka) and the sword on bottom is a Oni Forge Kiyomaro katana (29.5" Nagasa / 14" Tsuka). The fittings on the weapons are good (and fit tight, too!) but the blade is one of the best available in its price range. I intend to customize these swords over the the next few months. I'm thinking about a theme of dragons for the medium katana and either cranes (though this is extremely overdone with katanas) or waves/tsunami for the Kiyomaro. Any ideas?

Brian Owens
25th February 2007, 09:21
...I intend to customize these swords over the the next few months.

...Any ideas?
Just a thought, but you might want to talk to your seniors about, as well as read up on, the history and philosophy of the Yoshida-ha Yanagi Ryu: information about the founder, the domain(s) where it was active, prominent figures in it's history, etc.

Then you could cutomize both swords to reflect your findings, and make them truly special to you as a member of that lineage.

HTH.

Ultimate_Truth
4th March 2007, 08:57
I have gone back and done a little research on the Yoshida family, Shidare Yanagi Ryu, Angier Sensai, etc. I really haven't found anything within this system applicable to customizing a katana, save only, say, using the Yoshida mons for the fuchi, menuki, etc. As such I am going to use personal preferece for customizing the swords.

I intend to use dragons on the Kiyomaro katana, partly because of the imposing size of the weapon, but mostly because dragons in eastern cultures are powerful guardian spirits who protect and watch over the people and I, as a (at least an armchair) warrior want to embody that spirit in my soul and in my weapon. That, as warriors, we preserve and protect everything we love and hold sacred, right and just. Consequently, the sword will embody both the spirit that I seek and strive to attain in my training as well as being a tribute and honor to the warriors, past and present, who have fought, spilled blood, and even gave their own lives for us and our causes. We owe them all that we have and ever will have.

The Medium katana will be done in the theme of Cherry Blossoms. I chose this for my interest in Japanese martial arts (Sakura are the offical flower of Japan) as well as represent the delicate beauty and fleeting nature of life. It reminds me always to keep my mind open and be observant and more alert of myself and my surroundings and to enjoy the life I live.

Thanks for the input, Brian.

Doc-G
3rd April 2007, 06:12
Hi people,

I have been using this for a couple of months now. It is from Thaitsuki Nihonto (btw I realize it is not a real nihonto!). They are steel iaito and the dealer here in Adelaide, Australia can custom build for you as he has done for me.

http://www.olgasfinefoods.com/grupics/1.jpg
The Ito is silk and is one of many different colours to choose from.

http://www.olgasfinefoods.com/grupics/2.jpg
1700's Tomoe Shoami Sukashi Tsuba. The original is NBTHK papered. The Tomoe design has many martial connections and also is the symbol of Hachiman the Japanese God of War. There are loads of different tsuba to choose from.

http://www.olgasfinefoods.com/grupics/4.jpg
The menuki are wild boar, apparently a popular animal for hunting by Samurai. As someone involved in the Australian meat industry, I felt a little connection with this particular item.

http://www.olgasfinefoods.com/grupics/3.jpg
http://www.olgasfinefoods.com/grupics/5.jpg
Fuchi and Kashira are sterling silver. Again there are many to choose from.

I know most people like to go for the Japanese brands but the fact that this guy is located in my hometown means that I have face to face contact for repairs and so forth which is almost unheard of for many people. He has already done one repair job on my saya which I cracked when learning nukitsuke. Overall I am very happy with the product and the service.

You can buy from him online at: Ronin Martial Art Supplies (http://www.roninsupplies.com)
(btw This is not an ad. I do not work for or have any sort of professional affiliation with this company).

He also deals in genuine antique swords and is a keen collector.

Anyway, have fun. This is a great thread.

George Ujvary

Erik Tracy
4th April 2007, 18:30
I'm using this puppy in my obi...it cuts *real nice* :)

http://erikt.cts.com/Pictures/L6/fullblade.jpg

Blade: Howard Clark L6/Bainite shinogi-zukuri

Tsuba: Antique Edo period from ricecracker.com
http://erikt.cts.com/Pictures/L6/t27-3a_kaneiye_style.jpg

Menuki: relaxing farmers (notice the hats match the boatman on the tsuba!) from nihontoya.com
http://erikt.cts.com/Pictures/L6/peasant-menuki.jpg

Fuchi-Kashira: custom sized shakudo from Patrick Hastings

Tsukamaki: Jesse Pelayo

Polish, mounting, and saya: Keith Larman

http://erikt.cts.com/Pictures/L6/fullkoshirae.jpg

http://erikt.cts.com/Pictures/L6/gold.jpg

http://erikt.cts.com/Pictures/L6/hamon.jpg

http://erikt.cts.com/Pictures/L6/tsuba.jpg

http://erikt.cts.com/Pictures/L6/tsuka.jpg

http://erikt.cts.com/Pictures/L6/tsukaclose.jpg

Erik

pgsmith
4th April 2007, 20:15
And it's even nicer in person! Yup, I'm still really jealous over that one Erik! :)

Erik Tracy
4th April 2007, 20:34
Paul,
Thanks for the kind words.

It was a Loonnggg project finally come to completion - I'm very pleased at how everything turned out.

Hey - if you cut like you did at the Yuma taikai, then you'll be in the hunt for your own L6 at Big Tony's next West Coast taikai!

You're going right? ;)

Erik

pgsmith
4th April 2007, 21:53
You're going right?
Yup!
I'd never survive the harrassment if I didn't! I've already begun looking at airfare and car rental to figure out how much I'm going to have to save up for it. :)

P.S. Have you tried mizu gaeshi since we talked about it?

Erik Tracy
4th April 2007, 23:47
Nope - cuz I'm out of mats!! :(

We have some on order though.

When we get them I plan on practicing mizu gaeshi with your tip in mind.

Stand by....

Erik

aikiokami
5th April 2007, 22:47
What is this groups oppionion of the cold steel katanas?

pgsmith
5th April 2007, 23:40
What is this groups oppionion of the cold steel katanas?
I have not held one in a couple of years, but the ones I tried then were poorly balanced, had cheap fittings, were not well made (sloppy ito), and did not cut worth a darn, even after sharpening. They are NOT a brand that I recommend.

Just my opinion based upon my experiences.

aikiokami
6th April 2007, 00:47
anyone else?
I'm not a fan I just can get them for cheap and I thought I could rebuild them.

Liam Cognet
12th April 2007, 04:57
Most of the reviews I've read say the Cold Steel swords cut very well, but they are heavy. Check out swordforum.com if you haven't already.

Black and Blue
13th April 2007, 06:28
Mine, Kunisada late 1600s
My wife, just sold her Gassan Sadaoshi now uses a Tadaahiro late 1600s

Phil Scudieri

armanox
28th September 2007, 02:35
Well, any one of these can be in my obi....
http://armanox.no-ip.org/files/Weapons/DSCI0066.JPG

Top one is newest in my collection of weapons, and my first katana. Masahiro Forge.

Second one is a bokken that I bought at random (I liked the wrapped handle)

Third one is Japanese White Oak, bought because the one below it broke.

Bottom one was my first bokken, Red Oak, Made in Taiwan.

http://armanox.no-ip.org/files/Weapons/DSCI0059.JPG/

http://armanox.no-ip.org/files/Weapons/DSCI0060.JPG

http://armanox.no-ip.org/files/Weapons/DSCI0061.JPG

http://armanox.no-ip.org/files/Weapons/DSCI0062.JPG

http://armanox.no-ip.org/files/Weapons/DSCI0063.JPG

If any pics don't show let me know and I'll fix it.

Brian Owens
28th September 2007, 19:24
...Top one is newest in my collection of weapons, and my first katana. Masahiro Forge.
Hmm, that's an unusual katana.

Since a katana is worn thrust through the obi with the edge up, it only needs a kurigata on the saya into which the sageo is threaded. The sword pictured appears to be designed to be worn slung from a cord, edge down. (That would, however, put the kurigata on the wrong side.)

Did the straps come with the sword, or were they added later? The way it sits in the picture, it's actually a "left-handed tachi."

armanox
28th September 2007, 20:21
Hmm, that's an unusual katana.

Since a katana is worn thrust through the obi with the edge up, it only needs a kurigata on the saya into which the sageo is threaded. The sword pictured appears to be designed to be worn slung from a cord, edge down. (That would, however, put the kurigata on the wrong side.)

Did the straps come with the sword, or were they added later? The way it sits in the picture, it's actually a "left-handed tachi."

That's how the sword came.