PDA

View Full Version : Dojos in North Carolina?

Trevor Johnson
26th May 2005, 16:08
I'm going to be going to Duke University, Durham, North Carolina, in August, and there's someone I'm planning on training with as I can. Unfortunately, he's 5 hours away, and I was looking for another dojo that was a bit closer for training when I can't go visit him. Goju would probably be closest to what I'm looking for. Any ideas? I'll be in grad school, so I'll have more freedom than undergrads to look around.

CEB
26th May 2005, 17:48
Blue Devil Judo

Trevor Johnson
31st May 2005, 20:27
No others? While I like grappling, I'd like to train karate as well.

Joshua Lerner
1st June 2005, 00:47
When I was at Chapel Hill in the late eighties/early nineties, there was a Goju-ryu instructor in town who impressed me - quiet guy with just a few students, all of whom seemed pretty solid, as far as I could tell with my aikido background. I can't remember his name, and I have no idea if he's still there, but if he is, he is probably in the yellow pages.

Budoka 34
1st June 2005, 02:46
Trevor,

I've have a good friend in the Triangle area. Even if he does not have what you are looking for he could probably help you find it.

http://www.worldblackbelt.com/member_pages/troysbudo/

Hope this helps.

BTW that's my buddy Chris getting the, "adjustment". ;)

johnst_nhb
1st June 2005, 19:50
I would highly recommend Kevin Gurganus at Carolina Martial Arts on Guess Rd. in Durham. I go back with Kevin a long way, he is a fantastic karateka and teacher. He is worth talking to - at least!

Shito Ryu guy.

Budoka 34
2nd June 2005, 04:33
John,
I have to agree. Gurganus Sensei is an very talented Karateka and his Kobudo is incredible!

I know he and Troy know each other well.

You could not go wrong there.

johnst_nhb
2nd June 2005, 16:12
Hey Budoka,

Do you get to see Kevin much? I have not seen him in a while as I don't get back to NC much.

If you do see him, please tell him 'hi' from me!

j

Budoka 34
2nd June 2005, 16:16
John,

I see him several times a year at USANKF tournaments and the International Martial Arts Symposium in SC.
I should see him in July at the NKF nationals and will pass on your, "Hi". :)

johnst_nhb
2nd June 2005, 19:59
Thanks! That would be great!

j

Alex Parks
3rd June 2005, 02:59
Elmar Schmeisser teaches Shotokan Karate at the Morrisville Rec Center. Which is about 20 minutes from Durham.