PDA

View Full Version : Fukurojinai, Fukuroshinai

JAnstey
2nd June 2005, 04:54
Hi there,

Am hoping for some help in finding good quality Fukurojinai/Fukuroshinai?

I have seen Bujin sell them for arounf $65.00 and Budoguten sell them for around $155.00. There is very little info on the Budoguten site and am hoping someone might be able to offer some advice. I don't mind spending the upper region of $$ if the product is superior.

Many thanks

Jason

Lane Haygood
2nd June 2005, 06:47
I think David Dow-sensei sells some nice practice weapons.

http://www.bujinweapons.com/

JAnstey
2nd June 2005, 06:53
Hi Lane,

Looks like they only have foam covered katana?

Thanks anyway.

Cheers

Jason

Lane Haygood
2nd June 2005, 08:22
Hi Lane,

Looks like they only have foam covered katana?

Thanks anyway.

Cheers

Jason

Isn't that what fukuro-shinai are?

Mekugi
2nd June 2005, 08:37
These are what the cheapies look like with a model. Notice the bamboo replacement.

JAnstey
2nd June 2005, 09:01
Thanks Russ.

Great shots, thanx. Cute wee-one!

I think the better thicker variety is probably the way to go, at least that seems the closest to what my Sensei from Japan beat the crap out of me with at a recent seminar. I imagine that the wider surface area spreads the whack a bit?

Are the good ones split in sections, ie, 32 - 16 - 8 -4 ??

Cheers

Jason

jest
2nd June 2005, 22:26
Fukurojinai, fukuroschminai?

Kamiyama
7th June 2005, 06:32
http://www.bujindesign.com/weapons_bamboo.html

I have used these for a while now.. maybe the best I have used..

ralph severe, kamiyama

Mekugi
7th June 2005, 08:47
Thank you, the wee one is my official model.

I can split them anyway you want, any length you want!! What's yer poison!

Thanks Russ.

Great shots, thanx. Cute wee-one!

I think the better thicker variety is probably the way to go, at least that seems the closest to what my Sensei from Japan beat the crap out of me with at a recent seminar. I imagine that the wider surface area spreads the whack a bit?

Are the good ones split in sections, ie, 32 - 16 - 8 -4 ??

Cheers

Jason

Arman
7th June 2005, 17:02
Russ,

I will probably be ordering a few fukuro shinai from you shortly. Do you prefer to conduct the transaction from your website email?
Thanks,
Arman Partamian

Diane Skoss
10th June 2005, 22:50
Hi all!

I'm not a Yagyukai member, but I have listened to plenty of Yagyukai conversation, and I don't think that substituting a thicker stiffer bamboo is a great idea, particularly if you're going to be striking human beings with the thing. The reason for the more flexible lighter bamboo is to avoid inflicting damage on your partner while delivering fairly forceful blows. The heavier bamboo can be quite painful, at least according to reports I've heard, and I suspect can cause damage.

Perhaps someone from the Yagyu Shinkage-ryu can comment on actual experiences?

Cheers!

Diane Skoss

P.S. His Nibs says the bamboo should be about 1 sun in diameter, but you definitely don't want it to be too heavy or thick, just heavy and thick enough not to splinter while splitting and to hold up for a while. You usually replace the bamboo periodically (less frequently the more skilled you are). Also, note that if the bamboo is too heavy you wind up using too much power and your technique becomes ham-handed, at least according to the teachings of the Yagyu Shinkage-ryu.

JAnstey
13th June 2005, 04:02
Hi Dianne,

THe one my Sensei used was about 2 inches in diameter. I believe that they are split about two thirds of the way down. So the monouchi area is split into around 16 strips. This gives a slap rather than a damaging blow, far less than what would come from a shinai. The stages in split numbers keeps it reasonably stiff.

One of the reasons I am keen on obtaining one is that it was particularly useful in Jodo, allowing the Uchi to land moderate blows on the Shi to really illustrate the ma-ai, defensive positions like covering the centre of your head in Gyaku Te Zuke. Also was very helpful to me in experiencing correct use on the Jo in Maki Otoshi and Hikiotoshi. An accelerated learning comes into play when a 7th Dan Sensei is facing you with one of those in his hands.

example - whack You dead, whack you dead, whack no arm, you lose. and finally after much red forearms etc. Okay you win, I dead. Then whack whack whack, keep practising.

Great fun without the danger of a bokken.

Cheers

Jason

paul manogue
13th June 2005, 15:20
Getting thicker bamboo will save you money in bamboo replacement, but cost you money is bandages, as Diane mentioned these were designed to prevent injury. There was a thread about this a few months back by a gentleman from Sweden? He made a few by himself that looked beutiful. In the Yamato yagukai we split the bamboo from tip into 4 for 75cm, 8 for 50cm, and 16 for the last 25cm. Also we do not use green bamboo as the mooisture tends to damage the leather. If your in Japan the easiest and cheapest is the broom handle, almost always a meter long and @ 2.5-3 cm in diameter, and they are cheap. I have 2 from Japan one made by a shop in Nara that has been making them for a long time, very thin, deer leather laquered a reddish brown, and another thicker bamboo one given to me by a senpai with a cow leather red laquered cover which he said was from the Owari Yagyu dojo Nagoya.

As a side note at the Hotokuji in Yagyu no sato there are examples of fukuro shinai that actually have a slight sori to them, both the katana and the wakizashi, but all the handles are quite thin. I wish I had some pictures, but the glass on the case reflects the flash.